PDA

View Full Version : Evo X tranny issues and fluid

KT Motoring
05-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Let's face it, the Evo X, despite a relatively smoother shifts, suffers from notchiness/grinding when shifting into second and/or third. This is especially the case at startup when the transmission fluid is still not up to normal operating temperature, but the notchiness/grinding still presents itself occasionally even when the fluid is at normal operating temperature.

You can read all about it here in this thread on evom:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=333385

We have experienced notchiness/grinding in our own Evo X, especially in second and third gear. MItsubishi has yet to do anything about it at this point and states that the notchiness/grinding is normal since all the other cars are doing it as well. Even more curious is the fact that the owners manual states that a GL-3 approved fluid should be used whereas a GL-5 fluid was recommended for the VIII and IX transmissions. Is it possible that Mitsubishi changed materials for the synchros and related tranny parts?

In search of a solution, we researched what kind of fluids were safe for the Evo X tranny. There is some debate as to whether a GL-3 or GL-5 fluid will eat up copper parts (the yellow parts in a transmission). With this in mind, we decided to swap out the factory tranny fluid with some GM Synchromesh (semi-synthetic formula). The Synchromesh is supposed to be GL-3 approved and it has been used by Evo VIII and IX owners with great success.

This is what the drain plug looked like after 1500 miles:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/kimletrim/oil.jpg

While the amount of shavings is not surprising or abnormal, it just goes to show that changing the tranny fluid as often as possible is a good way of protecting the transmission and also a good way of evaluating the health of the transmission.

Result: The GM Synchromesh worked instantly! My initial test drive after the fluid change showed that my second gear grinding was GONE and third gear no longer felt notchy, just more secure as the shifter went into the shift gate. The difference is night and day. No longer do I have to worry about grinding into second gear or third gear.

Although we would recommend changing the fluid to all Evo X owners, you do so at your own risk. For me, getting rid of the notchiness/ grinding out of the transmission when shifting made it all worth while.

jello810
05-18-2008, 05:28 PM
great write up!

leaveit2bevo
05-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Isnt that because the bg is thinner? Ive heard a lot of things about it not protecting the tranny as much, its a trade off.

g1ovan13
05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
good info

Kisada
05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Isnt that because the bg is thinner? Ive heard a lot of things about it not protecting the tranny as much, its a trade off.

How true is this? I'd hate to eliminate grinding only to ruin the tranny in the long run. I wish Mitsu would do/say something about this ... but I won't be holding my breath.

leaveit2bevo
05-20-2008, 10:09 PM
I know for a fact its thinner, tranny protection I dont know about.

MJCT9A
05-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Out of curiosity is this tranny a Mitsu tranny or a Dodge tranny? And perhaps it might be driver error?

Kisada
05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
the grinding is not driver error
pretty silly to suggest that

Miss Evo8
06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
the grinding is not driver error
pretty silly to suggest that

Why? Plenty of Evo VIII and IX owners have destroyed tranny's because they can't drive a stick shift...yet others have had the OG tranny with no issues for thousands of miles... it was a legit question I think

kimletrim
06-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Because the tranny issues with X is well documented. Experienced drivers as well as newbies have experienced the same thing. Plus, those without significant time behind the wheel of an X should not be commenting on what they have not experienced.

Miss Evo8
06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
I have had some time behind the wheel of a X (GSR).... And I need to know if its a POS or just driver error..simple enough question

kimletrim
06-25-2008, 01:39 PM
^^my response wasn't specifically targeted towards you Angela.

Miss Evo8
06-25-2008, 02:52 PM
My Hubby and I are getting a X soon and its going to be a DD so we are honestly curious about the tranny issues. We are leaning toward the MR BUT the GSR is a lot cheaper...but if the tranny in the GSR is a POS we may as well go for the MR...

kimletrim
06-25-2008, 02:57 PM
I have had the Gm Synchromesh in the tranny for about 2000 miles now, and to be honest, I don't even think about about the tranny issues any longer because I am no longer experiencing grinding into second gear. The tranny is still a tad bit notchy when it is cold, but notchy is fine with me, just as long as it doesn't grind or give me unwanted resistance when i try to shift.

On another note, when the tranny fluid is at normal operating temperature, shifting can be quite smooth.

nijikon5
06-25-2008, 04:47 PM
I've had no grinding issues on my X GSR. kim nailed it with the tranny being a bit notchy when cold though, it's smooth as butter at operating temperature though. I haven't changed my tranny fluids but I bet it'll be even better when I do.

danielskshin
06-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I did have problems with the grinding, but they had to fix a leak in my tranny and it's gone. Wonder if they put in a different fluid?

Wests
06-27-2008, 03:13 AM
My is crazy notchy.

GokuSSJ4
06-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I've had no grinding issues on my X GSR. kim nailed it with the tranny being a bit notchy when cold though, it's smooth as butter at operating temperature though. I haven't changed my tranny fluids but I bet it'll be even better when I do.
the same thing was in the 03's, specially with cold temps.. the tranny wasn't as smooth as you would expect. Even after changing the fluids that most people recommend on the boards. IMO people just have to be aware of the cold temp tranny issue in order to prevent tranny grind issues. N shift careful, instead of driving it like you stole it at cold temps..

Wedgemeister
06-30-2008, 08:05 PM
^^^ how can you compare the two :idiot2: totally different tranny and motor :uglystupid2:

j_nizzle
06-30-2008, 08:08 PM
the same thing was in the 03's, specially with cold temps.. the tranny wasn't as smooth as you would expect. Even after changing the fluids that most people recommend on the boards. IMO people just have to be aware of the cold temp tranny issue in order to prevent tranny grind issues. N shift careful, instead of driving it like you stole it at cold temps..

^^^ how can you compare the two :idiot2: totally different tranny and motor :uglystupid2:

win, complete and utter win!

sheizen
07-30-2008, 11:26 PM
i guess i got lucky, no issues here.

TLee
08-31-2008, 01:15 AM
My GSR is notchy at 3rd gear. Now I have 800 miles. I hope it will go away soon :'(

Miss Evo IX
09-09-2008, 01:03 AM
hmm... haven't had any problems with mine. I hope it stays that way.

su37su
12-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Where could I buy this stuff?
I had all my syncros replaced under warranty already, and the grinding from 1st-2nd came back. I also seem to be having trouble putting the car in any gear when the car is off. Plus when revving the engine the rpm drops to slow(takes about 4-5 secs to get down to 700rpm when revved past 3.5k) I feel like I got a lemon.

fastkevin
12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
I must be lucky, as other than a little notchy-ness when it was new, it's smooth and solid now. My 9 was pretty notchy, so when my 10 broke in, I was surprised at how smooth it was/is. Having said that, I don't abuse the thing in any way. When I drive it on the street, I use the brakes and not the trans to slow the car, and when on the track, I rev-match on back-shifting.
Like I wrote, maybe I just got a good one. O0

Miss Evo8
12-30-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm guessing the majority of this "tranny issue" is driver error more often then not.

su37su
12-30-2008, 03:20 PM
^Some evo x owners who are having this tranny issue traded in their Evo VIII or Evo IX. So I don't think its driver error.
I traded in my evo ix for the x, and the tranny problems I am having with the X is unacceptable.

silverride
12-31-2008, 03:15 PM
I owned a VIII for for years and had no problems. I have been driving stick for 23 years and am very capable at properly shifting w/o error. My X sucks into 2nd unless I let the RPM's go down to 1200 before shifting into 2nd. This happens whether its cold or warmed up. I may need to visit South Coast soon on this as the car now has 2400 miles on it and I thought it would be smooth by now. P.S. I always baby my tranny and its not helping!

evogeo
12-31-2008, 06:05 PM
ived had my x for 14k miles.. but i only get the crunchy second when my tranny is cold.. but i usually warm up my car for like 15mins.. and its always pretty smooth. altho when it was brand new it used to do it a lot.

cy08x
01-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Where could I buy this stuff?
I had all my syncros replaced under warranty already, and the grinding from 1st-2nd came back. I also seem to be having trouble putting the car in any gear when the car is off. Plus when revving the engine the rpm drops to slow(takes about 4-5 secs to get down to 700rpm when revved past 3.5k) I feel like I got a lemon.

my x also takes a while for the RPMS to drop, and then it idles funny like it wants to turn off but its not all the time, is this just US or for a lot of x owners?

pink godzila
04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Good info, I heard about the tranny issue on evo guess I learn something today.!

Wimploki
05-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Mine is notchy and grinds from 1st to 2nd. This is 8 out of 10 times. Will surely visit SCM after the break in period.

Best of luck guys

KT Motoring
05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Well, its been a bit over 10k miles since we put in the new tranny fluid and the car feels like its time for another fluid flush and swap. The car still shifts fine with out grinding whatsover, but its not as smooth as it used to be.

blkside
05-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, its been a bit over 10k miles since we put in the new tranny fluid and the car feels like its time for another fluid flush and swap. The car still shifts fine with out grinding whatsover, but its not as smooth as it used to be.

Damn theres not much driving going on with you guys huh...lol 10k in a year..
I am getting ready to change mine at 16k miles FOR THE FIRST TIME...
I have had 0 grinds , rattles or any other issues
This is a DD X GSR that has turned 1:23 at SOW and a few spirited drives...

Maybe I have the fluke... The MR tranny... now thats going to be the bitch...

I like to Smash
06-12-2009, 04:49 PM
1500 miles on the car now, ive been getting notchy and slight grind going into 2nd and 3rd as well, but i do some nice pulls and it goes away. ive been having this issue since i got the car....

gt40
06-12-2009, 05:16 PM
12k on the wifey's MR X so far with lots of trips in the mountains but no track time. I had it go and slip the clutch one time punching it in first from 5 miles an hour to redline. It seemed to have to work to find second. That happened when the car had 2k miles and no issues since. It has been driven hard and a mix of sport mode, ss mode and normal. 95% of the time the tranny is where it needs to be. Once in a while it has clunked or something but no real issues so far. Car is stock with aem intake.

I will add a tranny cooler for insurance but all in all, I like it and the wife definitely does...

KT Motoring
07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
12k on the wifey's MR X so far with lots of trips in the mountains but no track time. I had it go and slip the clutch one time punching it in first from 5 miles an hour to redline. It seemed to have to work to find second. That happened when the car had 2k miles and no issues since. It has been driven hard and a mix of sport mode, ss mode and normal. 95% of the time the tranny is where it needs to be. Once in a while it has clunked or something but no real issues so far. Car is stock with aem intake.

I will add a tranny cooler for insurance but all in all, I like it and the wife definitely does...

If you haven't done so already, you might consider swapping out the fluids in the rear diff, transfer case and AYC. The tranny fluids used in the MR and GSR are different, but the rear diff, transfer case and AYC remain the same.

Blaze
07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I am getting ready to change mine at 16k miles FOR THE FIRST TIME...
I have had 0 grinds , rattles or any other issues

It helps when you know how to drive. Go figure... ;)

booster310
08-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I used to put royal purple sincro max 75-90w for my IX gsr tranny, i was wondering if anyone knew if that weight would work for a X, or is it a different kind of fluid you got to use for the X's?

EvoHeaven
10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
evox310 what did Kevin say at SCM about the notchy/grind?

kevdog135
07-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I changed mine to Redline MLT it shifts great still a little notchy when cold on the first shift but after that its like butter. What Fluid is everyone running in there trans. ? :mitsu:

Rencii
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
mmm i've been curious about this topic, just wondering if anyone had tried different types of oils in their car to compare which are actually better than the other? In my subie i was a huge fan of Motul, but i see that many don't use their oils in the evo's? that gear 300 oil is friggen 20bucks a bottle, but boy did it work wonders =)

Also, i've read up on a tutorial on how to replace the transmission oil... but i havent seen any for the transfer case? Anyone have that one bookmarked?

blkside
09-05-2010, 06:26 PM
heres my theory.. drive it till it breaks. Once it breaks fix it. If you cant afford to fix it buy a yaris. at least then if it breaks you can pick it up and carry it home.

kzlflash
01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Kinda off topic I guess, but I just bought TWM shift base, transmission arm, and pivot arm pushings, along with a 600g TWM shift knob. I'm hoping this gets rid of the notch from 2nd and 3rd, but will the change in bushings and a heavier shift knob have adverse affects on my transmission or anything relating to the shifting on the evo, like having to replace a part in the future?

terror75
02-04-2011, 08:41 AM
I just bought the TWM short shifter and shifter base bushings and it helped with the notchiness and grinding alittle bit, but still there. I'm going to get an oil change for engine and transmission this weekend and wondered if the oil in Mobile is good enough or do I have to get some GL-3 type fluid for my car? I only changed the oil once since I bought it back in November of 09 but I never changed the tranny fluid. So any advice would be great.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
05-02-2012, 05:48 PM
My new 2012 GSR crunches going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. The car has 1300 miles on the clock. I have to take it to the dealer because I can't eset the maintenence reminder. I followed the steps on how to do it on Road//Race website but still no reset. Called Road//Race and they suggested taking it in.

I called Jon at TRE I always liked to pick his Brain and he thinks it could be machining issues on the synchros. He said try changing your fluid and see if it goes away. I haven't done that yet, but since I'm taking it in to the dealer anyway I might as well have them look into the tranny issue. I will talk to the mechanic and see if he will switch out the tranny fluid for me before they say its "normal" or "you need new synchros". If I need a tranny rebuild at 1300 miles imgoing to be P/O'd :knuppel2:

Jeff

DTunedEvoX
05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I've had my fluids changed @ KTM and my 1-2 and 2-3 is still crunchy ...
I've accepted this as normal and have learned to live with it and shift with it ...
Until it blows the Fck up ....

LOL if you cant reset the maintanence reminder though ...