PDA

View Full Version : EVO 03 w/ only a TBE and intake. Power gains with tuning?

dwongcarreras
05-18-2008, 06:26 PM
How much whp should I expect after tuning a EVO 03 w/ only a TBE and intake.

noypic50
05-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I made 263hp 255tq on my 03 with only tbe, hfc, dropin filter, walbro and nisei licp using ecu controlled boost on a mustang dyno. Tuned by GST!

dwongcarreras
05-18-2008, 06:50 PM
what is a HFC?

sr20
05-18-2008, 08:20 PM
High Flow Cat

Evolutionized
05-19-2008, 01:21 AM
you dont know untill you try! get it done and post ur results

CASH$ MONEY
05-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Evo 8... 260 265 270 pushing it...

evo ix.. 320 ;)

amak87
05-19-2008, 08:56 AM
lol. ya bro, you can totally make 320whp, with a IX w/ those mods, on a mustang any day. haha. oh god. read the details before you post.

OP- depending on what boost control you are using, that will be the main factor in what numbers you produce. Do a before and after pull, and use a solid tuner.

dwongcarreras
05-19-2008, 10:39 AM
that brings up another question. Boost control. MBC vs ECU control. Is it true that MBC holds boost better and that is the way to go?

dastallion951
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
i made on tuning techs dynojet 287hp 285tq.... but thats TBE, intake injectors dejon tool, ic upper and lower piping....for ur #'s with mods im givin u like 250hp maybe....boost controller??? ^^ no MBC is best bang for buck for boost control... ECU boost helps to mostly eliminate the BOOST taper issue... but thats nothin enlarging the taper hole on the mbc can fix...

CASH$ MONEY
05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
lol. ya bro, you can totally make 320whp, with a IX w/ those mods, on a mustang any day. haha. oh god. read the details before you post.

OP- depending on what boost control you are using, that will be the main factor in what numbers you produce. Do a before and after pull, and use a solid tuner.

Ok genuis. Im sorry, I forgot your Evo is making 1000WHP....

amak87
05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
MBC's are cheap. and they produce small results. they cant hold boost. they can only hit its peak (say 21psi) setting then it will taper, usually to about 18psi. Your next option could be a Electonic Boost Controller. I have the Greddy EBC Profec-II. When properly tuned, it can hold boost very simular to ECU boost control. Right now, my boost will peak around 24+ psi, holds 23psi until 5500 rpms, then after will slowly taper to about 20.5 psi by redline. Its also nice to have an EBC because you can switch between HI/LO settings, and its a boost/vac gauge as well. An EBC holds boost better and will give you better boost response. It works by electronically adjusting your wastegate, to get you to your peak boost asap, then also works hard to hold more boost up top. Â*The stock turbo will taper no matter what. On an Evo 8, holding 20psi by redline is about the most boost that will still be efficient. Â*The key to the EBC is having the settings correct on it, to amplify the performance.

MBC's cost anywhere from $70-$100

EBC's cost over $300

ECU boost- Idk really. Im not sure how shops really charge for this. Hit up Looney Tuning, he has ECU boost mastered.

ECU boost is the best for performance, alot better than a MBC and slightly better than an EBC in some ways.

Personally, I wouldnt get your car dyno tuned w/ your mods. Ya, its nice to have some numbers to look at, but the numbers dont really mean shiat.

Get your car Looney Tuned. That is the most cost effective route. And most likely the most performance enhancing.
I would suggest calling Yimi Sport Tuning in Santa Clarita. If you are close to them, hit them up. They are less expensive than some other shops. And they tune until your car is complete.

amak87
05-19-2008, 11:28 AM

Ok genuis. Im sorry, I forgot your Evo is making 1000WHP....

its making 1002whp. on your moms dyno. lol. jk jk.

OP- here are my predictions. w/ your current mods, and a EBC or ECU, boost set at 22-23psi.

Dynojet- 290whp and comparible torque

just tell your tuner, you want to make consistant reliable power, and tell him to make the power with more boost and less timing!! hahah. you will love the torque.

CASH$ MONEY
05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
ROFL.........

TQ??? on a evo 8 regarless on stock turbo no power........

dwongcarreras
05-19-2008, 11:34 AM
so basically the EVo 8 stock turbo sucks big time and everybody with a e8 should change their turbo to a stock 9?

CASH$ MONEY
05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
They dont suck, thier fine. But if you want to be making power a good upgrade would be a EVo 9 Turbo... Or FP GREEN....

dwongcarreras
05-19-2008, 11:38 AM
how many HP can i get just by changing to a E9 stock turbo
and how many from an FP green?

CASH$ MONEY
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Depends, its not about How much hp, tq your getting....

its how the car will behave by changing out the turbo....

amak87
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
how many HP can i get just by changing to a E9 stock turbo
and how many from an FP green?

w/ the same mods and psi settings? the turbos are very comparible. An Evo 9 turbo has a a larger compressor housing, thus allowing it to flow more overall boost, and more efficiently. I never said anything bad about the stock turbos, the 8 and 9 both taper. and FP green is the same size as a 9, infact its the same exact housing. The FP has a different compressor wheel, and doesnt really taper at all. and it can be efficient all the way past 32psi. but ofcourse you will need 100oct.

So yes, even if you have the same psi on your FP green compared to evo 8/9 stock turbo, the FP is more efficient and will produce more power.

amak87
05-19-2008, 12:19 PM
ROFL.........

what? That didnt make sense? The Torque will come from the tune, not nessicarily from the mods/turbo.

Most tuners, that know how to really make reliable power on these cars, will tune for more boost and less timing. By using boost to aquire power, you will see more torque and a nice curve. And by tuning w/ more boost for power, makes the tune much much less knock prone, aka a safer tune.

The Evo 8 and 9 should be close competitors on the stock turbos. The Evo 9 has a bigger compressor housing, Mivec (for spool up and top end), and an improved head, for better flow and a leaner burn.

But then again, it really is all about the tune.

amak87
05-19-2008, 12:21 PM
They dont suck, thier fine. But if you want to be making power a good upgrade would be a EVo 9 Turbo... Or FP GREEN....

didnt you go to a FP? but now its for sale? Whats your next setup? Are you changing your evo to a track beast or what? cuz anything over a FP for a street/DD is insane. lol. These cars already stomp on anything in its path. lol. and If you do happen to lose a race, tell them to follow you to anywhere with some turns. lol. SEE YA later. ahahha

javicracer
05-19-2008, 12:34 PM
ROFL.........

C'mon Cash$$$$ my car was making 370ish on the evo VIII turbo, and it was fun as hell.

noypic50
05-19-2008, 01:08 PM
wow this went way off topic

Evolutionized
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
ummm you will make good power if you switch to the FP Green and dump that 8 turbo.

i know someone selling one for a gooood deal :D

Azian
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM

evo ix.. 320 ;)
Evo IX FTMFW!!!!!

Azian
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
i made on tuning techs dynojet 287hp 285tq.... but thats TBE, intake injectors dejon tool, ic upper and lower piping....for ur #'s with mods im givin u like 250hp maybe....boost controller??? ^^ no MBC is best bang for buck for boost control... ECU boost helps to mostly eliminate the BOOST taper issue... but thats nothin enlarging the taper hole on the mbc can fix...
TT has a Mustang i believe

amak87
05-19-2008, 01:49 PM
^^ no, TT has a dynojet. unless they have more than one dyno. lol.

but yes, getting tuned, will give you sufficient power gains. the stock Evo 8 ECU map is disgusting. Even by just adjusting your fuel map, there are significant gains to be held.

CASH$ MONEY
05-19-2008, 02:40 PM
evo 8= good

evo 9= win

javicracer
05-19-2008, 02:46 PM

evo ix.. 320 ;)
Evo IX FTMFW!!!!!

Ben stay out of this, ur car is slower than a OZ rally, u dont count on this!!!!

CASH$ MONEY
05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
javi... what ended up happening with your car.

congrats on your 370 homie... ( on race fuel though)....

let me know if you need anything... O0

amak87
05-19-2008, 03:08 PM
evo 8= good

evo 9= win

LOL. now thats a solid fact. haha. dude.

javicracer
05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
javi... what ended up happening with your car.

congrats on your 370 homie... ( on race fuel though)....

let me know if you need anything... O0

launches to 6500, make the flywheel get loose and mess up the crank, i can fix it but dam i already order my 2.2 BC stroker and im building a crazy head

CASH$ MONEY
05-19-2008, 06:35 PM
The FP has a different compressor wheel, and doesnt really taper at all. and it can be efficient all the way past 32psi. but ofcourse you will need 100oct.

The FPGreen has a larger compressor wheel and turbine wheel. The old WhiteRabbit just had the upgraded compressor wheel.

Amak- Had made himself Officialy God Of Evo Land.

Thank you Amak!

amak87
05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
The FP has a different compressor wheel, and doesnt really taper at all. and it can be efficient all the way past 32psi. but ofcourse you will need 100oct.

The FPGreen has a larger compressor wheel and turbine wheel. The old WhiteRabbit just had the upgraded compressor wheel.

Amak- Had made himself Officialy God Of Evo Land.

Thank you Amak!

?? lol. once again, you just made no sense. How does stating a difference between 2 turbos, suddenly make me God of Evo land? lol.

How old are you? 3?

CASH$ MONEY
05-20-2008, 12:58 AM
stop the talking, lets race.....

$

no shits and giggles here my friend.....

Money Talks

amak87
05-20-2008, 08:29 AM

$

Money Talks

lol. ok. does your car even start?? I'll do a race as long as you have nothing more than your FP. but I will race you with any turbo you want, in a canyon.

ya, money talks. but does your car?? not only in a strait line?? lol

amak87
05-20-2008, 08:39 AM
and if you remember, I called you out like a few weeks ago in another thread. I would love to race you. lol.

Azian
05-20-2008, 09:28 AM

evo ix.. 320 ;)
Evo IX FTMFW!!!!!

Ben stay out of this, ur car is slower than a OZ rally, u dont count on this!!!!
wait whos car is running?oh yah Not yours O0

dastallion951
05-20-2008, 10:49 AM
fp might end up bein my route all depends on what they find on thurs on my car...leaking head gasket then got that covered, with arp head studs...if its the turbo might as well go fpgreen, or if its motor might as well build the motor..

amak87
05-20-2008, 11:08 AM
fp might end up bein my route all depends on what they find on thurs on my car...leaking head gasket then got that covered, with arp head studs...if its the turbo might as well go fpgreen, or if its motor might as well build the motor..

whats wrong with your Evo? :(

dastallion951
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM
started blowin white smoke on tt's dyno last week, found excessive oil buildup in my intercooler piping and intake.....but the white smoke happened at the end of the runs on the dyno... so either its gotta be my headgasket (hopefully)... or turbo, n not my bottom end on the evo.

CASH$ MONEY
05-20-2008, 11:14 AM

$

Money Talks

lol. ok. does your car even start?? I'll do a race as long as you have nothing more than your FP. but I will race you with any turbo you want, in a canyon.

Have a good day.

amak87
05-20-2008, 11:24 AM

$

Money Talks

Have a good day.

lol. your too funny.

amak87
05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
started blowin white smoke on tt's dyno last week, found excessive oil buildup in my intercooler piping and intake.....but the white smoke happened at the end of the runs on the dyno... so either its gotta be my headgasket (hopefully)... or turbo, n not my bottom end on the evo.

well, the excessive oil residue build up is most likey from your PVC system. Get a blow-by oil catcher w/ 2 cans for both sides of the valve cover exits.. Most likely you had very bad oil vapor blow-by and it could have fouled your turbo somehow. Does your car still perform well? Your just concerned with the white smoke?..

CASH$ MONEY
05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
amak where u stay at lil boy?

dastallion951
05-20-2008, 11:37 AM
well im Â*gonna buy an oil catch can...thats the next plan luckily for me a buddy of mine owns a smog shop.... my turbo works pretty good however this bein a dd.... if theres an issue id rather just go get it fixed....the sad thing is i work with cars for a living, yet dont have the freetime to fix my car... barely had time to put the mods on my car lol....but yea im gonna definitely pick up an oil catch can..yea im concerned with the white smoke......general indication of burning coolant somewhere ya know......can be a pricey fix.

amak87
05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
amak where u stay at lil boy?

ventura county, specifically simi valley. youre not too far. Come to the meet on thursday night.

amak87
05-20-2008, 11:51 AM
ya, the oil catch can will help alot. make sure you get a dual catch can set up though. but didnt you say that the smoke is only after you let off the throttle?? if it was coolant, wouldnt it be constantly flowing?

dastallion951
05-20-2008, 11:55 AM
thats what im thinkin too if it was in deed the head gasket...but ive got a stock headgasket n arp head studs sittin in my garage....saturated my timing belt with oil after i did my cams n before i fixed my oil leak...so my cars "goin under the knife" thurs at tuning tech for the 60k service.. then have them install the headgasket n studs... then have them do a couple engine checks on the motor( compression test, cylinder leakdown test and the like) so if the motors still good......then i think it might be time for an fpgreen and ditch this 03 9.8 hotside turbo

amak87
05-20-2008, 12:04 PM
thats what im thinkin too if it was in deed the head gasket...but ive got a stock headgasket n arp head studs sittin in my garage....saturated my timing belt with oil after i did my cams n before i fixed my oil leak...so my cars "goin under the knife" thurs at tuning tech for the 60k service.. then have them install the headgasket n studs... then have them do a couple engine checks on the motor( compression test, cylinder leakdown test and the like) so if the motors still good......then i think it might be time for an fpgreen and ditch this 03 9.8 hotside turbo

ya, that turbo upgrade is a wise choice. well. best of luck for your service check. That shit can get expensive. And I'm guessing you saturated your timing belt w/ oil on accident from the Mivec Cam assembly right? lol

dastallion951
05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
dude im not a newb.....lol im on an 03 evo im mivec free...actually the oil leak was coming from the valve cover gasket right where the covers are for the oil seals for the caps for the cams....n it was bad i had to pull the valve cover back off, i ended up re rtvin the whole valve cover gasket, and i thought it worked i didnt see a leak.. but apparently i missed it. lol

javicracer
05-20-2008, 01:51 PM

evo ix.. 320 ;)
Evo IX FTMFW!!!!!

wait whos car is running?oh yah Not yours O0

hahahaha very funny Ben, wait a month and then will c!!!

javicracer
05-20-2008, 01:52 PM
i still can race u in my normal lancer with 100 shot of NOS

j_nizzle
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
w00t! street racing to prove a point FTW!

dastallion951
05-20-2008, 07:35 PM
yea i know u two should settle it in the baskin robbins meet in mission grove shopping center......lol....

littlejap33
07-15-2008, 12:03 AM
upgrade ur turbo then u can get like 300+ easy

Evolutionized
07-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Damn let this thread DIE already

Saosin
07-20-2008, 06:05 PM
upgrade ur turbo then u can get like 300+ easy
u dont have to do that evo 8:with cams,tbe and boom u got 300whp+