PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!

mitsubaru
05-21-2008, 12:31 AM
OK guys im a subi fan but my friend just bought a 95 talon TSI AWD the car has a first gen 4g63 from the eclipse gsx. the engine warranty just ended 2 months ago and we just picked it up tonight. not being used to the car my friend assumed it was ok. The problem is that the car is misfiring or some sort of cut out before 6 thousand rpm (kinda hard to tell due to tachometer bouncing) I have been around engines for a while now and dont recall the sound it makes kind of like a spun bearing w/o the knock in the block the car does have a small exhaust leak but nothing enough to throw it off. If anyone is in Anaheim and would like to hit us up and help us out that would be cool or just give us some advice.

Thanks
We need the help.

i_Love
05-21-2008, 12:44 AM
I would start of replacing the spark plugs if u havent yet! Thats a good first place to start!

Then check the injectors and fuel pump. ( Maybe your getting some fuel cut? )

Lower the boost maybe and see if it does the same?

GilbertFlores
05-21-2008, 12:48 AM
check your plugs, both the spark and the wires, make sure there good, check the injectors for build up, take it to road race and see what they say, thats all the work on is the 4g63 motor, all gen's

mitsubaru
05-21-2008, 11:10 AM
thanks guys if anyone has any more info or would like to help us out that would be cool. Im new to these 4g63's also how would i check the injectors?

mitsubaru
05-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Ok so i replaced the exhaust gasket and new plugs and wires and they worked very well but still at top end does the car like to miss fire almost. still pulls hard but sounds horrible also seems as if it runs out of power to early. could a 2g ecu be different than the first gen? (I was thinking it had a different range of ignition than the second gen)

qsjoeygst
05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
I dont know if the 95 model might need this but when i had my 6 bolt done on my 2g i hade to run the spark plug fireing order to:
4123 on coil.
4321 on head from left to right

If that doesnt work, try

3214 on the coil
4321 again on head.3-2-1-4
see if that helps

mitsubaru
05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
ok so we have narrowed it down to three more things that sound interesting. 1 fuel rails and injector clogging but i cant see them. 2. Waist gate is going bad and allowing the turbo to lose boost. (but the boost gage isn't fluctuating) 3. Coils could be going bad and not allowing the car to fire when hot or under pressure. (not quite sure)

GilbertFlores
05-23-2008, 04:58 PM
always check your spark, how far is the boost dropping, and get it logged if possible. any CEL lights?? but yeah, check your coils and possibly replace them, if not that then at least you have new coils and that scratches that out. check the firing order like stated above, and look for the injectors load, maybe there maxed out - bad - not injecting right - clogged - sputtering. take it to Road Race engineering if you live aroud santa fe springs, they work on these things all day long.

qsjoeygst
05-23-2008, 05:22 PM
ok so we have narrowed it down to three more things that sound interesting. 1 fuel rails and injector clogging but i cant see them. 2. Waist gate is going bad and allowing the turbo to lose boost. (but the boost gage isn't fluctuating) 3. Coils could be going bad and not allowing the car to fire when hot or under pressure. (not quite sure)

Do you have white smoke coming out of your exhaust are you running stock injectors. If you have white smoke than yes its injectors plus it will smell like gas? Do you have a electric boost controller does your turbo wheel wiggle are the fins chipped

GilbertFlores
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
^^^there are a lot of things you have to look at for loosing top end power. check the spark, check the ecu, check your boost pressure, your spark would be a big factor, between that and fuel, check the smoke like stated above, its a good sign to tell. check all connections to the waste gate / vac lines / boost controller.

qsjoeygst
05-23-2008, 08:56 PM
It would also help if you listed the mods on the car.

mitsubaru
05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
there are no mods done to the car. the boost doesn't drop or gain any hire than 12 psi. and the plugs and wires have all been replaced. we are currently running a fuel additive through the system to clean the injectors. the last thing to try is the coils then im almost out of things to try.

qsjoeygst
05-24-2008, 06:34 AM
Who did your engine swap, do a compression check