View Full Version : Evo X 320HP ECUtek by RRE

seph09
05-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Bolt-ons
RALLI///ART drop in
Single tip Stealth Exhaust
Rally Cat
ECUtek tune

The baseline 267hp runs were with a RRE Stealth Exhaust, rally cat and a RalliArt drop in filter. AFRs with that set up were 10.5 to 10.75 :1

After runs are with just the addition of the tune using ECUTek.

Boost before was 20 to 23 psi from 3250 up to 4K rpm. Then tapering to eventually 13.5 psi at redline.

Boost now is 21 to 23 psi between 3250 and 4K but tapers to 17psi. Injector duty cycles are topped out at 90% according to the ECUTek logger. At redline where the duty cycle is high it is only 19ms. I remember in DSM days not being alarmed or hitting fuel cut till over 22ms.

The car does like even leaner AFRs. But we'll stick with mid 11s for now on 91 octane.

Mike W

Terenus
05-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Nice, pushing some nice power with those mods.

GokuSSJ4
05-22-2008, 11:37 AM
wow! good stuff.... the X has a lot more potential...great #s ...O0

Mightygnu
05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Great numbers!

1WkdEvo
05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Very nice, congrats on the new power...until next week when you need more

hellgunner
05-22-2008, 05:07 PM
nice!

seph09
05-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Very nice, congrats on the new power...until next week when you need more

LOL i know what you mean!

thanks fellas, I just wanted to spread the word what RRE can do on the X...

Mightygnu
05-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Looks good. I have some nice mods coming in soon, so I'll keep ya posted!

amak87
06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
good numbers, but hasnt anyone learned that MBC's cant perform on stock turbo's? lol

OP- you would see much more gains with an EBC..

ARC_EVO
06-17-2008, 10:51 AM
god i need that ECUTek :(

congratz though :) great numbers

silvery_eagle
06-17-2008, 05:59 PM
good numbers, but hasnt anyone learned that MBC's cant perform on stock turbo's? lol

really?

EvoPwr
06-17-2008, 06:02 PM

really?

lol

amak87
06-17-2008, 06:05 PM
i hope you're joking..

silvery_eagle
06-18-2008, 02:47 PM
i hope you're joking..

no im not. where do you see mbc installed in the op's post?

Charlie@MFQ
06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
congrats.

bybyeevo9
06-18-2008, 03:29 PM
i may be the new guy but i dont see where he said the had a boost controller at all!

i think that it was a good improvement in the numbers! CONGRATS!

seph09
06-18-2008, 03:59 PM
i may be the new guy but i dont see where he said the had a boost controller at all!

i think that it was a good improvement in the numbers! CONGRATS!

LOL! thanks!

amak87
06-18-2008, 06:00 PM
my bad. How did they adjust boost? Or did it just happen with the mods?

seph09
06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
my bad. How did they adjust boost? Or did it just happen with the mods?

they can set it w/ the ECUtek...

amak87
06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
oh thats cool. but, why the large taper? Does the X not like more boost by redline?

bybyeevo9
06-18-2008, 08:41 PM
oh thats cool. but, why the large taper? Does the X not like more boost by redline?

are you a tuner

JOOTZ
06-18-2008, 09:20 PM
good numbers

amak87
06-19-2008, 09:59 AM

are you a tuner

what does that have to do with my question? lol. I was just wondering about the X, I have no idea about how it holds boost.. hence, why I asked.

but yes, I am a tuner. I don't do it for a living however..

bybyeevo9
06-19-2008, 10:58 AM

are you a tuner

what does that have to do with my question? lol. I was just wondering about the X, I have no idea about how it holds boost.. hence, why I asked.

but yes, I am a tuner. I don't do it for a living however..

not trying to be offensive i was just wondering if you were a tuner.

amak87
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
ok^, but anyway, to the OP, jw, how come they didn't add more boost up top?

Mike W
06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Injector duty cycle is hitting in the 90% area up top with the "low" boost that it has now. A bigger fuel pump looks like it will help with that.

Remember boost pressure measured in the manifold is a measure of what the turbo is supplying vs what the engine is using. On a good running efficient motor with rowdy cams there is only so much a little 16G can put out. After a point it is just hot pissed off air.

Another year of dyno time, highly scientific testing and experience will conclusively answer all these questions and more. Stay tuned (so to speak :-) )

Mike W

Nebolic
06-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Injector duty cycle is hitting in the 90% area up top with the "low" boost that it has now. A bigger fuel pump looks like it will help with that.

Remember boost pressure measured in the manifold is a measure of what the turbo is supplying vs what the engine is using. On a good running efficient motor with rowdy cams there is only so much a little 16G can put out. After a point it is just hot pissed off air.

Another year of dyno time, highly scientific testing and experience will conclusively answer all these questions and more. Stay tuned (so to speak :-) )

Mike W

so on stock turbo and running a more aggressive tune, do you recommend changing out the fuel pump and injectors? Or is the stock unit good up to a certain xxx hp?

nebo

mrcotija
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM

Since when can't MBC's perform????

I agree that with the X using EcuTek is probably a better and safer method of controlling boost, but as far as boost in general, MBC's have been used as far back as I can remember, and work great, especially on cars that can't control boost through an ecu.

Overall, MBC>EBC. Less parts, less problems..

Good numbers OP. The X's are doing great with this system. Did Scotty tune you?

EvoPwr
06-23-2008, 04:28 PM

I was wondering the same thing, I have seen numerous high powered evos with an MBC.

EvoPwr
06-23-2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10300/normal_Evo8%20Ryan%205-06.jpg

with a hallman MBC...doesn't look like any issues to me

Mike W
06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
We like just plain MBCs on biggee turboed cars too. If the turbo can supply more pressure than the engine can use an MBC is the bestest budget thingy EVAR. If anyone has a X and has a hard on to use an MBC and save me hours of futzing with the boost maps, bring it. I wont be the one stopping you. I also wont be cring for you when your boost spikes and tapers.

Because of the amount of air this motor flows vs the size of the stock turbo, boost really drops off big time at high RPM. On a EVO 9 it is a couple pounds. On this car you need a MBC to spike at 26 psi to hold 17 psi. An EVO 9 spiking to 23 and dropping to 20 psi isnt the end of the world for me for the $50 it costs for a MBC. For some people it is. But a 26 psi spike to hold 17 is pretty whacked. Add in that you cant really get away with that kind of spike with out tuning and tuning can control the boost anyways so what is the MBC for on a X again? Not much.

If you wanted to really work the little turbo to death with out the ECU controlling the boost you would need a fancy fashion boost controller like the HKS EVC 6 or the Apexi AVCR... and the ability to program it. You would still need to flash the stock ECU to get around all the checks that it does looking at air flow and boost pressure vs throttle position and RPM. There are a dozen maps that control and check airflow and boost pressure. It is constantly comparing what is there vs what it is expecting. With flash tuning you can raise its expectations :-)

A stock fuel pump and injectors gets you 340 to 350 at the wheels on our Dynapack AWD dyno. If you want more hp you need more fuel. Looking at the fuel pump specs it looks like that is the problem more than the injectors.

So far I have tuned all the EVO Xs using the ECUTek software with Scot answering the geek questions.

Mike W

mrcotija
06-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Good Job. I agree with you 100% on this.

amak87
06-23-2008, 07:01 PM

I agree that with the X using EcuTek is probably a better and safer method of controlling boost, but as far as boost in general, MBC's have been used as far back as I can remember, and work great, especially on cars that can't control boost through an ecu.

Im not talking about every car, only evo's w/ stock turbos. From what I have seen, the MBC's on stock VIII and IX turbos, the MBC's create inconsistent boost, hard/PITA to adjust, and boost needs to spike higher to keep more boost by redline. It mainly does have to do with the turbo, I know that a FP w/ MBC works perfectly fine. But on the stock turbo, that little guy needs added help to keep more boost till redline, more boost=more torque. And I have seen 3 Evo's w/ a MBC suck ass with boost. They spike a different PSI each time, and I have seen one of those three stick, and over boost. I know that MBC's are cheap and effective, but I would rather pay a little more, and get more performance, as well as a few cool features like "peak boost", "boost limiter", HI and LO settings, and a very accurate boost gauge.

I guarantee that a EBC or ECU Boost control, will out perform any MBC on a stock turbo. (atleast on the VIII and IX, I dont know too much about the X)

But I do agree, you must know how to properly tune a EBC. MBC's are more user friendly..

And that dyno chart proves nothing. lol. obviously, its on an upgraded turbo and built motor.

mrcotija
06-23-2008, 07:22 PM

Im not talking about every car, only evo's w/ stock turbos. From what I have seen, the MBC's on stock VIII and IX turbos, the MBC's create inconsistent boost, hard/PITA to adjust, and boost needs to spike higher to keep more boost by redline. It mainly does have to do with the turbo, I know that a FP w/ MBC works perfectly fine. But on the stock turbo, that little guy needs added help to keep more boost till redline, more boost=more torque. And I have seen 3 Evo's w/ a MBC suck ass with boost. They spike a different PSI each time, and I have seen one of those three stick, and over boost. I know that MBC's are cheap and effective, but I would rather pay a little more, and get more performance, as well as a few cool features like "peak boost", "boost limiter", HI and LO settings, and a very accurate boost gauge.

I guarantee that a EBC or ECU Boost control, will out perform any MBC on a stock turbo. (atleast on the VIII and IX, I dont know too much about the X)

But I do agree, you must know how to properly tune a EBC. MBC's are more user friendly..

And that dyno chart proves nothing. lol. obviously, its on an upgraded turbo and built motor.

Sorry Man I still disagree.. I worked at TT for over a year, and MBC are very consistant. My MBC worked perfect from stock turbo to my fully built 2.3 gt35r setup. I had to replace it only once, which is fine because they're only 50 bucks.

I saw too many EBC's going bad or not being able to control boost correctly, and the problem quickly went away with a MBC.

But this thread is not about ebc vs mbc, it's about a good tune on a X.

If you would like to see comparison threads on ebc vs mbc, do a search, I'm sure it's been beaten to death by now.

Wests
06-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Very nice! I'm gonna get my X tuned by them once I begin the engine modding.

christoph562
08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
A lot of useful information in here O0

EvO9marine
08-05-2008, 08:22 PM
dang i gotta get a tune with RRE

evoxkrazy
11-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I cant wait to get mine! saving up as we speak :) Heard great things about RRE

viciouz
11-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Is the ECUtek a piggyback? I am slightly confused on how it works?

blkside
11-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Ecutek is a very advanced flashing solution that will do everything from timing to ordering you pizza. It is an excellent alternative to the MBC and pray method. THe tune is initally a little pricey but retunes are cheap and the numbers end up great. I have 320hp/305tq on 91 and 367/354 on 100 octane. This is with an AEM Intake and the "blkside edition" custom exhaust from RRE... Cant go wrong...

evogeo
11-09-2008, 10:42 PM
no ECUtek is not a piggyback... its just tuning software that requires a license on a car in order to tune. by the way mike at roadrace is the master at tuning evo 10"s if ur considering getting Â*your car tuned!!!!

srjohns
11-17-2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10300/normal_Evo8%20Ryan%205-06.jpg

with a hallman MBC...doesn't look like any issues to me

rofl

alan678
11-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Of course an MBC isnt going to be an issue with a large turbo, but when using one on a small turbo as the stock turbo on the 8/9/X then they tend to taper towards redline where an EBC can be used to compensate for the pressure drop by increasing the wastegate duty cycle....which is why people (Like Aby -WOT- and myself) love the GM 3-Port boost solenoid...

srjohns
11-17-2008, 09:33 PM
/\ To each their own right Alan...

alan678
11-17-2008, 09:34 PM
That is right...

and yes....I do have a DejonTool MBC on my turbo....

And to the OP.....nice numbers!