PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica Mountain Roads: The guide to fun

flyboy333
06-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Here is just a quick list of canyon roads between Topanga and Decker, and a small summary of each. Hope this helps for those of you who want to visit. I will list South to North.

Mulholland: Very long, and boring until you cross Las Virgines road, when north of there, Mulholland has some ridiculously fast sweepers and great scenery. Usually light traffic, but watch for bikers of both types. As you get toward the intersection of Mulholland and Kanan, it gets very twisty with lots of blind turns, so watch for fast cars coming the other way. When you reach the far northern end, you can take a left and go north, you will find some very fun twisty rises and falls, banked turns, and smooth pavement, but be careful, as the road is narrow. Eventually it runs into the coast. Between the sweepers and the twisties you can find the Rock Store, which usually has more motorcycles than can be imagined, and is a generally neat place. Access to: Stunt, Old Topanga, Cold Creek, Latigo, Decker.

Old Topanga:Old topanga is a short romp up and down a mountain, with the east side having fun medium speed turns, with one very tight one, and an uphill u that defies description beyond freaking awesome. Once you reach the coastal side and come back down, there is a mix of fast turns that can seem bigger than they are, and there are quite a few houses, so watch for other cars. The end peters out performance wise but the deep forest atmosphere makes for good cruising. The road ends into Topanga, which goes to the beach in a civilized but not boring manner, usually with much traffic. The intersection of old and new Topanga has many neat shops and restaurants, and soon after it, one can get onto Fernwood Pacific, which is a very residential, super tight road, but too tight and residential for safe or fast driving. The thing is that Fernwood Pacific leads to Saddle Peak and...Tuna (Muahaha!)

Tuna: The mother of all awesome/deathwish roads. Do not drive unless you can control your car, or yourself. This is a one way, downhill only, all turns, hairpin laden thrill ride that will literally blow your mind and your brakes. There is either no guardrail, or a concrete block, and a tremendous drop or a sheer cliff face. No scenery, no traffic, no hope. Don't f**k it up.

Stunt: It weaves up the side of a mountain, and the most fun part is in the beginning, where there are some fast s bends. The views from the road are good, and there are many spots to get off and take a hike, the bottom most spot being next to a shaded creek, quite a relaxing place. There is usually too much traffic in the day, but you aren't driving stunt because it's fun. You're driving it to get to the 3 way of Stunt, Saddle Peak, and Schuren, where performance car enthusiasts gather often, and where one can find great views, a bomb shelter filled with water, and a good place to take that special someone O0 . However, there exists a better place...

Saddle Peak: An average fun, somewhat residential road, with some very good benefits, and a few fun sections. The scenery is good, and at night there is the mother of all views, in which one can see near all of Los Angeles lit up, all the way out to the Pacific (Impresses the ladies better than the top of Stunt.) The other really good benefit of driving Saddle Peak is that it leads to Tuna.

Schuren: A short but fun connecting road between Piuma and Stunt, has some fast bits and great views of the ocean and mountains. I often work on my heel-toe shifting on this road.

Piuma: A long and varied ride through the tops of the coastal mountains, ending in Las Virgines. The beginning has some sweepers and s turns, and not many houses. The midsection has great views of the ocean, and you can carry serious speed going up or down it. The end section after doing a huge c turn is a series of squiggly switchbacks that can be very fun, just watch for people, there are a few more houses. This end section is the most fun part if you like to really be lefting and righting, and if your car rotates well, it should be almost as fun as Tuna through the long c turns. Watch for traffic on this road, and take time to get off at one of the spots, like the plateau that the big c surrounds (great place to eat lunch, has benches.)

Los Flores: Connects Piuma to the PCH, and is the steepest road on the list in the middle. Has a great drop u that made for a WTF moment when I drove it downward and almost flew off the road (understeer FTL.) Has a few too many houses, and really is more of a connecting road than anything else. You can exit Tuna then go up Flores to do Piuma. There can be pretty neat scenery too. You may be tempted to try Rambla Pacifica, but it is a private road, and after a fun bit, it becomes private and no non-residents are allowed. If you turn around before then it's a fun road.

Corral Canyon: One of the best roads, it has 3 distinct sections. The first is a mad uphill climb through mustard fields over rough road, the second is a series of banked continual s turns that make for a roller coaster ride, and the third is a ridiculously cool mix of elevation and curve that makes the car come alive and boogie like never before. Its fun without being scary, and I dig it. A warning though, you must turn around at the end and go back down, it turns into a dirt road. Also, watch for the residential sections (there are two or three of them, houses all clumped together.) A must drive. It can have some traffic, but don't push, these locals don't need more harassing.

Latigo Canyon: One of the purest of the canyons, long and forested, with quite a few tight bits. It leads to Kanan, which you can then take to Mulholland within a minute. Latigo has all types of turns and pavement and elevation, and is a great all around road for all skill levels and likes. Just be careful around the houses. I could write a whole report, but you really just have to drive the road.

Decker Canyon: On the way to Decker, make sure to stop at "free zuma" and chill at the beach, or stop at Hows market on the way to grab a bite to eat. Decker is a frantic road with two true OMGWTFROFL hairpins, and it winds up through the mountains in the deep forest. Few houses and cars make for a good drive, and it turns into the fun end section of Mulholland eventually. Along the way there is a campground that looks to be interesting. You can also get to Ventura from this road, and the way there is fun.

I hope this helps, and feel free to post any suggestions or corrections. Also, google map Las Virgines Canyon and zoom out to really see how these all connect. Thanks for reading

Corbin

flyboy333
06-22-2008, 05:04 PM
A good route suggestion: Stunt to Saddle to Tuna up Flores to Piuma to PCH to Latigo to Mulholland Down Virgines to Piuma to Schuren down Stunt and back to the beginning (around 100 miles total.) Also, Dry Canyon/Cold Creek is a good short road to warm your tires with before Stunt. One thing to note is that before the one way section of Tuna there is a residential two way to go through.

Southern map (if this works):

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=topanga+canyon,+ca&sll=41.47215,-87.89976&sspn=0.010724,0.02223&ie=UTF8&ll=34.067165,-118.641872&spn=0.094848,0.177841&z=13

Northern:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=topanga+canyon,+ca&sll=41.47215,-87.89976&sspn=0.010724,0.02223&ie=UTF8&ll=34.065743,-118.811989&spn=0.189699,0.355682&z=12

DruMMinStUd06
06-22-2008, 05:12 PM
I didn't know there this many canyons in the area...I don't know whether its a good or bad thing that you posted all these up. Care to add maps? (wishful thinking)

Miss Evo8
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Informative.... But maybe you shouldn't post this?

x[corwyn]
06-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Don't forget to mention the LEO "Save our canyons" initiative there. Not really who they are saving the canyons for, since the only people I know of that dig them are in performance cars, or motorcycles....but hey.

eddieededy
06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
yeah plz don't whore the canyons! (RIP GMR!!!! )

GokuSSJ4
06-23-2008, 01:08 AM
I didn't know there this many canyons in the area...I don't know whether its a good or bad thing that you posted all these up. Care to add maps? (wishful thinking)
plenty of canyons around the area... a bad idea to post about it!
those areas have been hot for quite sometime, specially after how much attention they received from the media after some sad incidents near a yr ago.

MR.JUN EVO X
06-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Did Decker Cyn in a stock miata..good times. I have been to most of the ones listed and usually the best time to hit these is after 12am...no cops whatsoever nor is there drift masters out there...have fun fellas and look out for the JUN MR O0

smokinevo9
06-23-2008, 07:35 AM
i went crusing yesterday with few of my porsche buddys and there having construction from the tunnels of santan monica to pacific palisade.the road constructure is pretty bad both way so they said the highway 1 is going to close down for couple of years thats what i heard from some locals at malibu.since the road constructure canon road and topanga canyon road has been pretty bad especially during these hot weekends......................but still one lovely road to drive on.

flyboy333
06-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Perhaps I should not have posted this, but dog my cats if I didn't want to write an epic post. I would say this is a bad idea, but certainly not because of the police. I haven't even been followed by the fuzz much less pulled, and I drive fairly quickly, knowing the roads. It is a must however not to whore the canyons. I can tell you myself that too much of the same canyon makes for boring driving eventually. MR.JUN has the right idea, because at 12-1 there are no people or coppers or anything on the roads. Stay safe everyone, and use the canyons for good, not evil.

GokuSSJ4
06-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Perhaps I should not have posted this, but dog my cats if I didn't want to write an epic post. I would say this is a bad idea, but certainly not because of the police. I haven't even been followed by the fuzz much less pulled, and I drive fairly quickly, knowing the roads. It is a must however not to whore the canyons. I can tell you myself that too much of the same canyon makes for boring driving eventually. MR.JUN has the right idea, because at 12-1 there are no people or coppers or anything on the roads. Stay safe everyone, and use the canyons for good, not evil.

the last time i had the chance to visit those certain parts" around those times, I was shocked to see the amount of peeps I found driving along as well; Guess some days during the week are more popular than others. Reason why for the most part I have stayed away from that area. Aside all the construction that they had a while back, things have always been fun.
Driving safe should always be the main priority for everyone, if you decide to go for a drive and enjoy the scenery.

Mister
06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
THANK YOU FOR NOT MENTIONING THE (2) OTHER CANYONS IN THAT AREA! THEY HAPPEN TO BE THE BEST ONES OUT OF THEM ALL. LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY!! KEEP IT EMPTY!!

BTW, I was in the Santa Monica canyons this past weekend with a few Evo's. We did a late night run (around 2am), and it was a blast until we hit Mulholland and Malibu Cyn. All (3) of us were greeted by a Sherrif who simply said over the loudspeaker, "No Speeding in my Canyons........Go Home." Then he flipped a bitch and took off! We all kept going on our drive like there was no cop. LOL

CRX2EVO
06-23-2008, 06:26 PM
here is my story from this Sunday:

It was hot as balls in the valley again yesterday so I decided to cruise down to PCH for a little relief. Naturally I take the canyons but my no means is it a canyon run. The last canyon on my way down there is Decker Cyn. For those that know it, it's one of the most narrow around with some nasty hairpins.

As I approach the stop sign that will take me me onto Decker, a late-nineties Altima, dirty as fuk, piloted by what appears to be a fat Mexican man with his lovely lady (also fat) riding shotgun rolls on by. The fact that he's Mexican has nothing to do with the story really, I just felt the need to be descriptive. It was the car alone that had me doing the picard.jpg.

Like I said before I wasn't on a canyon run but come on, I'm in the Evo, I still want to have a little fun. I've had plenty of people move over and let me pass in Decker before so I figured this asshat might get the hint.

Well I was wrong. I guess he was ready to engage in a downhill togue battle of epic proportions. What that amounted to was me glued to his bumper as he rode his brakes. I probably stressed my clutch a little riding in third gear but combined with some minimal tapping of the Brembos I was cruising along in good shape. It wasn't long however before I was inhaling the easily recognizable smell of burning brakes.

It was like nonstop brake lights from this noob. I hope his lady was impressed because she certainly didn't have the sense to tell him to pull over and let me pass. Being the cruel, cynical person I am, I was hoping for total brake failure that he might be sent over the edge of Decker Cyn with a nice view of the ocean before impact.

No such luck. We both made it safely to PCH where he managed to stop at the stop sign. I couldn't help but laugh out loud as smoke poured from his front brakes. I hope he has to replace those pads now.

And don't get me started on the POS Nissan Armada that was in front of me on the uphill back into the valley. These idiots have no common sense and no courtesy. I had to down shift to first for multiple corners while that POS bohemoth putted up the hill.

I realize it's a public road but seriously, some people do not belong on canyon roads that narrow.

eddieededy
06-24-2008, 07:49 AM
" Being the cruel, cynical person I am, I was hoping for total brake failure that he might be sent over the edge of Decker Cyn with a nice view of the ocean before impact."

lolololololol