PDA

View Full Version : How possible to swap the ACD and the AYC from a Jdm Evo 8 to my evo 8 03

lolvlol
06-29-2008, 11:02 PM
How possible to swap the ACD and the AYC from a Jdm Evo 8 to my evo 8 03. My evo 03 have no ACD or AYC but i just want to have athose on my car. I know it will come out alot but how much it will be ?? Just love my 8.

tanK
06-29-2008, 11:42 PM
It will be very expensive... in fact you may need the "special tool" to install an AYC system... which is probably only available through Mitsubishi (think big $$$). On top of that you need to locate the AYC capable differentials, sensors, and supporting harnesses/wiring/controller. Once you get that set up, you need to install them onto your car with that big buck tool from Mitsu... if you can get a hold of it.

leaveit2bevo
06-30-2008, 10:24 AM
dont ruin it kevin, Yes you can and should try just pay on your amex.

lolvlol
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Is everythings should be just bolt on ?
i think a salvaged Evo from japan is not that expensive , since i don't need engine and transmission. And the parts i needed is theparts they can't sell usually

Skiracer
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
I wonder if you will need a new ECU as well...

javicracer
06-30-2008, 12:33 PM
I wonder if you will need a new ECU as well...

he probably will need a new ECU !!!

VinceR
06-30-2008, 12:56 PM
just buy the ralliart ACD computer its only $500

It has a more aggressive clutch pack settings for the rear differential to solve the evos tailing out problem while making hard turns...

WIth the ralliart ACD computer you can throttle control your turn a lot like a RWD car...

Iplan on buying one after I get done with my transmission woes

maikumaru
06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
^---OP dosnt have ACD....

DTunedEvoX
06-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah dude my friend down here in Compton can install it for you ... Just leave your keys ...

VinceR
06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
^---OP dosnt have ACD....

Whoops!!! I guess I didnt see that.

lolvlol
06-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Well let me see how much will be the parts come out, I will be the first JDM evo 8 here , LOL

tanK
06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Just remember if you EVER need to service your AYC unit, you will have great difficulty doing so as there are no AYC tools here in the U.S.

maikumaru
06-30-2008, 02:23 PM
first of all this is not a good idea...if you want ACD you should not have gotten an 03. I am not sure how it looks underneath for a 03, but the ACD pump on JDM 8s is towards the rear bumper I believe. it is not a simple swap in and out with a JDM drive train as you will have some issues doing the swap.
secondly the AYC, when someone goes the aftermarket route with the ACD controller, is turned off...when driving your car hard, it cannot keep up with rapid steering inputs like at the track.

unless you speak Japanese, doing this swap (guessing) will probably cost you around 7-8 grand.

be happy with what you got, evidently some people here in the states prefer the non ACD as it is a more "engaged" than the acd equipped. (my opinion differs however)

lolvlol
06-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Well , Seems like Evo X is the only way to go.

tanK
06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Agree with makimaru on most points. I believe the JDM evos still have the ACD pump and hardware up front, the AYC hardware is the in the back...

If you read up on Lancer Register (UK forums), a lot of the high horsepower evos are dumping AYC differentials for the "RS diff" which is the same differential as us in a sense that it deletes AYC.

lolvlol
06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
So i should sell my 8 and get a 9 then

maikumaru
06-30-2008, 02:51 PM
idea #2 for OP-->however illegal

keep your 03 8 and import a 7,8 or a 9 for cheap...

since there is no marking on the chassis to differeniate between a 7, 8 or a 9 (just says ct9a) or between JDM and USDM you can swap your vin from car to car and the DMV/highway patrol would never know the difference...
imagine right hand drive 8 with all the goodies that we dont have (SAS, AYC etc :-))...

if you can get a 9 go for it...

djspeks
06-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I guess you would have to dump the emissions stuff (which you probably don't care) so the AYC unit can fit.

I think that's where the emission stuff is; where the AYC was supposed to be.

maikumaru
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
ok did a little research to confirm what I originally thought...

for non USDM evos the ACD pump mounts in the rear...this is done for better weight balance. (JDM and UKDM would be mounted on the driver side near the bumper)...you can see the brackets I believe underneath the car

the ACD pump not only serves the active center diff it also serves the AYC.

The AYC acts as another active differential, so there is no second pump, or AYC pump or anything like that that...

lolvlol
07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
good research!! +1