PDA

View Full Version : New Toyo R-Compounds? Anyone try the Proxes R1R?

Skiracer
07-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Just saw this as i was on a search for new tires. Looks like they have a "slightly" better treadware rating compared to R888 and RA1's. Anyone with experience with them?

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires.asp?lpid=30251&name=Proxes%20R1Râ„¢&category=sport
Proxes R1Râ„¢
XTREME PERFORMANCE. EXTREME DRIVING. Developed from years of grueling on-track experience and engineered to elevated performance standards, Toyo's new Proxes® R1R™ allows capabilities beyond normal driving limitations. An aggressive, arrowhead tread design, extra wide footprint, high-grip compound, and advanced autocross-inspired casing design, provide every advantage while driving hard through the corners and quickly accelerating in the straight-aways. It's extreme performance for serious street driving.

http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/images/lpid30251.jpg

jello810
07-15-2008, 08:01 AM
great tires with excellent grip! the sidewalls are a little softer than the r888's & ra1's

speedracer2169
08-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Its suppose to be on par with the re-01r's direzza z1 star spec. advan neova etc... so expect similar performance maybe even better??? Hopefully not as disappointing as rt615's lol

ktec
02-07-2009, 01:25 PM
star specs seem to pwn all

leaveit2bevo
02-07-2009, 08:07 PM
great tires with excellent grip! the sidewalls are a little softer than the r888's & ra1's

ra-1 had soft ass sidewalls if these are softer its going to feel like your on a boat.

VinceR
02-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I have these, there great all around tire 94w sidewall 140 treadwear, real soft compound definitely a step up from falken azenis and they actually drive good in the rain. I can take corners with a lot more confidence than with the azenis I had before. I would recommend them!

i was going 85-90 on the highway yesterday in the rain and I never a hint of hydroplaning, I never went past 75mph on the azenis my rear end would get squirly even at that speed.

leaveit2bevo
02-08-2009, 12:29 PM
what size are you running?

FUEL
02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
street tires then huh? meh I will stick with my R-compounds

DPK MR
02-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Everyone is making new tires to compete with the Z1* specs.

VinceR
02-08-2009, 06:44 PM
what size are you running?

235-45-17 so i guess stock size

Everyone is making new tires to compete with the Z1* specs.

LOL these tires were outÂ* about 2 years before the direzza z1 star specs...

DPK MR
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Really? Â*I had no idea.

GokuSSJ4
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
look at the OP date, I was hopeing that they had release another different tire till i notice the date.
The only sad part about the dunlop tires vs the toyo is that there not available on a 275/40/17, unlike the toyo R1R.
Another good tire that is expected to be release soon is the new Nitto tires that should last a bit longer than your average NT01.

VinceR
02-09-2009, 03:44 PM
yeah the NT05!!!.... I might try them out after im done with the toyo R1Rs...

leaveit2bevo
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
What TireRack calls "Extreme Performance", these tires are all as fast as an older R-comp like the Kumho Victoracer or Toyo RA-1. But, treated nicely they will do 10k miles on the street or 200 autocross runs (in most cases), and are really good street tires. These tires will change your car dramatically, even if you were running KDW2s, Kumho MXs, S02/3s, or Azenis.

Bridgestone RE-01R - Pros: Good wear, good on heavy cars, easy to drive fast, and every year so far they've issued big rebates for SCCA members. Cons: A touch more expensive than the * Spec and XS if you don't get the rebate, and they're a bit short on sizes compared to some others. Phil's recommendation: If you can get the rebate and they fit your car, get these for street/autocross/track/drag use. They do it all well.

Dunlop Direzza Z1 *Spec - Pros: Wears well, even on heavy cars. Grip level is amazing - won nationals in a few classes. Excellent in the wet. Really good pricing. Good size selection. Cons: I dunno. Funny name? "Dunlop Direzza Zed One Star Spec"... Phil's recommendation: get these tires. Unless the XS turns out to be hands-down better, I'll be on these next year.

Kumho XS - This is a new tire, and info is still coming in. Pros: Good price, so far seems to be right there with the very best in terms of cornering grip. Sharp handling (it is compared to the Azenis 615 a lot). Cons: a bit peaky, harder to drive than the RE-01R or * Spec - again, like the Azenis 615. When the RE-01R came out, fast drivers gained a few tenths and slow drivers gained a second or more. I think the XS may prove to be the weapon of choice for the few uberdrivers, but may not be the best choice for everyone. Phil's recommendation: wait for more info. I'm debating these tires for next year because they sound great - I just want more data.

Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 - Pros: it's perfect. Fast, great handling, wears well. Cons: It's not much more perfect than the others, and it costs eleventy billion dollars and only comes in 17"+ sizes. Phil's recommendation: if you've got the scratch, you might want to try them and see if you like them more than the RE-01R or * Spec.

Toyo R1R - Pros: Crazy grip, maybe the highest peak g's available. Best tire for the drag crowd. Come in many sizes, and more on the way. Cons: quite expensive, and wear quickly when autocrossed on heavy cars on warm days. Sloppy handling, have to be thrown around a lot. Phil's recommendation: Ideal if you're looking for a drag-oriented tire that can autocross on occasion, especially if you need an odd size. BTW, these are available through 1010tire.

Hankook Ventus Z212 - Pros: very quiet under duress, nice ride, good grip, fun to slide around. Come in just about every size imaginable, reasonable cost. Good in the wet. Cons: Not up to par with the new top-level autocross tires, not great at drag launches. Wears a bit fast for a street tire. Phil's recommendation: Good enough that it's worth trying if it's the only way to get the size you want.

There are way more tires than these, way too many to talk about them all in detail. Here are a few that I have used and I think are the best buys in their categories:

Fuzion ZRi - great wet and drag grip. Ideal for a budget street/drag tire, and they can autocross acceptably.

General Exclaim UHP - dirt cheap, pretty sporty, excellent in the wet (esp. hydroplane resistance). Great tires for the wife's car or a beater - I have these on my Volvo baby-hauler.

Sumitomo HTR Z III - I have not used these, but they're very cheap and everything I read makes me think they are as good as the old top-flight street tires like the Azenis 215, Kumho MX, and BFG KD. If you want a fast street tire and don't want to spend the extra money on one of the new super-tires, these would be my choice. There are a lot of new tires in this category, but they all cost way more money, and have not gotten any better reviews. I would have used these on my Volvo if I wasn't feeling cheap at the time.

leaveit2bevo
02-09-2009, 04:51 PM
not my info btw

FUEL
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
not my info btw

Are you channeling Trinydex with the copy and paste? :?