PDA

View Full Version : Notchy shifts

up
07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
6 spd. Sometimes shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd feels kinda notchy... not really smooth. It shifts just fine during idle, but when I'm driving, sometimes it doesn't feel as smooth; it's just kinda notchy. Should this be a concern or am I being way too paranoid? Will these shifter bushings help eliminate this feeling? Change fluids? Something? Thanks.

kimletrim
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
How many miles has it been since you had a tranny fluid change?

up
07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Previous owner changed it a week before I bought it, so less than a thousand miles ago. I'd say it only has a few hundred miles on it. Maybe he did a bad job or something? Oh yeah, 18k total miles on the car.

kimletrim
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Not to sound harsh, but how do you you know it was changed a week before you bought it. Do you have the service records or did you watch the previous owner change out the fluid? Most notchiness can be remedied by a simple tranny, transfer case and rear diff fluid flush. If it hasn't been done, i would recommend you get it done. If this does not fix the notchiness, then I would suggest you look into other culprits.

up
07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
If this does not fix the notchiness, what other culprits are there?

mr.4g63
07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
same problem here. i noticed it few weeks after i bought the car from the dealer. I took it back but all they did was test drive the car and said that there was no parts available for the 6 spd tans yet, and this was 2 yrs ago. I guess its like a minor deffect from the factory. Just report to the dealer for heads up so down the road they have a record for warantty.

up
07-21-2008, 05:08 PM
So you haven't fixed it yet? It's just slightly notchy, it's not smooth like my friend's car, and we have the same car.

gsrIXevo
07-21-2008, 05:38 PM
most likely you will need to swap to the redline / bg syncro fluids to see it that will clear the issue. Â*80% of the time this helped everyone's issues... after that you will need to look into either shifting later... or syncros going bad...

Evolutionized
07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
isn't the evo tranny a little notchy anyways...

chavo_del_8
07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
You just suck at driving Evolutionized.

rl22
07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
try bg syncro shift O0

Evolutionized
07-21-2008, 10:47 PM
You just suck at driving Evolutionized.

its ok i will just buy a X so i dont have to shift...

Ya Right LOL

littlejap33
07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
i just flushed my tranny tooo fuckin the tranny fluid on my car waas super shot out

dropped 3 quarts of bg synchro wht a difference its like butter

j_nizzle
07-22-2008, 05:23 PM
does anyone here recommend off the shelf tranny fluid i could buy at an autoparts store? im due for new fluid and so far, i just bought the redline gear oil for the diffs.

does the dealer sell bg? or better yet, 3 quarts of it!?

kimletrim
07-22-2008, 07:23 PM
does anyone here recommend off the shelf tranny fluid i could buy at an autoparts store? im due for new fluid and so far, i just bought the redline gear oil for the diffs.

You could try Pennzoil Synchromesh that they sell at VatoZone or PepiBoyz

shadowsCT9A
07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
VatoZone or PepiBoyz

roflmao :2funny:

j_nizzle
07-22-2008, 10:07 PM

You could try Pennzoil Synchromesh that they sell at VatoZone or PepiBoyz

khiem @ MFQ to the rescue!!! :twisted:

up
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
update: went down to south coast mitsubishi to get a 30k service ... at 18k (yes, paranoid, since I bought the car used). The notchiness has been minimized. Requested the syncroshift fluids and I noticed a slight difference. I think the rest is just due to my error in shifts, as I used to beat the hell out of my gsr tranny for years; I suppose the Evo tranny's a bit more fickle (read: precise). I still dont think it's as smooth as my friend's MR, but I can live with it.

Also, it was good meeting you Evolutionized. Crazy meeting a socalevo member my first time out to the dealer. Your tial was loud!

Evolutionized
07-24-2008, 12:56 AM
=)

good meetin you to man..

take care of that 8MR and get Tuuunneed

CASH$ MONEY
07-24-2008, 04:13 AM
uhh all evos have notchy shifts... gotta get used to it. if anything, have the dealership take a look at it... O0

Saint
07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
All Evo's have notchy shifts. The MR's have a clunky 1-2, 2-3 shift when the fluid isn't warmed up yet...especially if it still has the oem Diaqueen fluid. 30k service already...sheesh you are paranoid.

gen4k20a2
07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Ya my MR shifts like poop when the fluid are cold...after that...its pretty nice

amak87
09-13-2008, 02:45 PM
shifter feel and response can also be greatly improved my installing shifter bushings, under-hood and shifter base bushings. Along with a clutch pedal adjustment to tune up the engagement of the clutch. Sometimes the adjustment will fix more than you think.

atlvalet
09-13-2008, 11:38 PM
I highly recommend the Castrol Syntorq LT for 6 speed owners to remedy the notchy shifting. I have 94,300 miles on my MR OEM tranny and I still don't have notchiness :)

MIL.SPEC on EvoM sells the fluid.

up
09-17-2008, 11:04 PM
One thing I have noticed is that if you drive the evo kinda hard (and by that I mean past 3k rpms) the shifts are smooth as silk. So I think this is in line with the idea that the fluid needs to be warmed up. Anyways, precise shifting, adjustment of the clutch pedal, and fast driving means no notchy shifts! It's weird ... my evo prefers to go fast... (fyi the notchiness only appeared from 1st to 2nd)

evo iris
09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
i have an MR and i'm having trouble shifting as well. once it hit 30k, it feels like shiit!

Henster
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I had the same thing with my '06 IX SE. A little notchy only from 2nd to 3rd.

Dealer replaced 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear synchros and I still have the same problem.

RRE just installed poly bushings with my short throw shifter and clutch cable which didn't have any affect.

Did the clutch pedal adjustment and made a HUGE difference through all my gears, but still a little notchy in 3rd.

Now I'm wondering with the clutch adjustment making a difference, do I need a new clutch?

I would try the clutch pedal adjustment which I found here:

http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...7ed4dbce467e84

Also wondering if there is a shop in Cali that does the Shep trans rebuilds/updates?

Henster
09-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Forgot to mention in previous post but wanted to say thanks to RRE for doing an awesome job at installing my WORKS and Whiteline bushings! (and answering all my newb questions)

zasboy
10-02-2008, 12:26 AM
I upgraded the front motor mount to a stiffer unit and upgraded the shifter linkage bushings and console bushings. This was a total day and night feeling. Shifting had tremendously improved. You should try it and see if it helps. The upgraded front motor mount alone fixed most notchiness in my Evo but the downside is a slight increase of cabin vibration.

sdfox
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
does anyone know alot about throttle bodies? Ive had problems with mine on my 02 lancer OZ rally. it was idling at about 3000 rpm's so i lowered it... and it was fine for a while but now it doesn't idle at all. whenever i put the clutch in or put it in neutral the engine just dies.... if you have any insight let me know

CRX2EVO
10-22-2008, 01:59 PM
wtf?

j_nizzle
10-23-2008, 08:16 AM
wtf?

+1.