PDA

View Full Version : Bought new parts for EVO X and review *7/28 New Pics*

desertMarine
07-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, I have been waiting a few months to buy parts for my X GSR. I have noticed a few things. The car is heavier and runs a little slower than my 8. It is really notchy going into 2nd gear when it is cold. Also, I can feel the power band in 2nd and 3rd gear is way over fueled and the power band is not smooth.

So I bought some new parts of the past couple of weeks. Still waiting on delivery for some. Here is my quick review on some.

Ordered the window deflectors and the fitment was very good and it was an easy install.

Ordered the EVO X black badge from Lancershop and it was a little cheap. I ordered the same badges for my EVO 8 but the new ones are so much cheaper. I am afraid they will bend or break if I wash it uncarefully.

My AMS EVO X test pipe came in today and the build looks very quality. I have one backed off hole for my narrowband O2 and one reserve bolt that I assume could be a spot for a Wideband O2 closer to the front of the TP. I was really impressed with that. Welds look awesome. Kudos to AMS.

My AMS Intercooler came in today also. Build looks really good also. Great Job AMS! Let's see how well the install goes.

Still waiting on my GReddy Downpipe from Lancershop. I also ordered the Buschur Exhaust, Upper/Lower IC pipes, and Intake about 2 weeks ago. I can imagine they are very busy since they are the only ones so far that have posted videos and shots of there setup on youtube. Great marketing for Buschur but I still have been waiting on parts! I think a lot of other companies could learn a lot about selling products by posting on you tube or providing clips on Youtube.

Anyways, I will start installing over the next couple of weeks. Still deciding on who will tune my car in San Diego. RRE or TT. Maybe Reese Tuning by Alain if they start working on Evo X's.

R/
Aaron

So here are some of my install pics.
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00261.jpg

Install was super easy.Â* Fitment was great.Â* The setup of the bottom bolts almost threw me off but I figured it out quick.Â* The AMS Intercooler for the EVO X bolts underneath the black shelf that hold a balancing wieght.Â*

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00263.jpg

It bolts up underneath this black metal shelf.Â* You have to remove the weight that is attached.Â* I wasn't too worried about it since the AMS Intercooler's extra wieght will make up for the black wieght not being there.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00262.jpg

This is a picture of the stock intercooler and the black wieght is held on by four bolts.Â* It is sitting there below the intercooler after I removed it. The bumper was super easy to remove.Â* Only took about 10 minutes.Â*

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00267.jpg

Here is a picture of it all put back together.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00268.jpg

Here is a picture of the black EVO X trunk badge I installed. Looks better than the chrome.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00266.jpg

Here is a picture of the side window shades I put on.Â* I think they look great on the silver EVO with the black tinted windows.Â*

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00269.jpg

Another shot.Â*

AaronI1
07-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice mods. good luck with your installs and tune. stock X's are not too fun.

mrcotija
07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't see why they wouldn't be able to tune a X.. If you really know how to tune and know the concepts, you should by that knowledge, know how to tune any ECU. If TT and RRE didn't wait to see if they could tune a X, they just did it.

Goodluck in your search. I heard EcuTek is working great with the X's for tuning, so perhaps you might want to look into that as well.

desertMarine
07-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Updated pics

seph09
07-24-2008, 08:06 PM
go to RRE!!! they'll bring the evo out of your car!!!

hellgunner
07-24-2008, 08:24 PM
go to RRE!!! they'll bring the evo out of your car!!!

lol thats for sure....hahaha

blkside
07-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey Desert... no offense but pick your mods carefully for this car. I watched the Mitsu "AMS EVO" only Dyno'd at 325 with the IC/piping/intake/BC and exhaust and Mike at RRE pulled 320.2 with a K&N Drop in and "blkside edition" exhaust. Consider who tunes your car so that you can make plans for your long term goals...

"air assault"

desertMarine
07-24-2008, 08:44 PM
I seen that too. You have to think about the cars potential. I have seen mods get you way up there on numbers without a tune and I have also seen the numbers almost the same with only a tune. The "Only a tune" option would probably be much cheaper. I am just a sucker for parts and looking for excuses to wrench on my car. I have a sneaky suspicion that adding mods with a tune and just a straight tune may be pretty close together on this car. For example, when adding an intake you are actually tuning your car in a way. Allowing more air in which would lean out the car a little.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Mitsu actually built the car to either be tuned to perfection without a single mod, or built to perfection without a single tune?

EvO9marine
07-24-2008, 09:03 PM
dang Sir!!! your X is looking good. you should get your wheels powder coated black. i'm picking up my wind deflecters tomorrow at SCM. for your tune you gotta go to Mike at RRE. i hear great things!!!

desertMarine
07-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I am looking at the Gunmetal Advans. The ones that curve out a little. I need to calm down a little. I might be stretching that CWO pay a little to far. lol.

blkside
07-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah that will never happened. Find a numbers goal and shoot to build around it...

ETHERevo10
07-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey Desert... no offense but pick your mods carefully for this car. I watched the Mitsu "AMS EVO" only Dyno'd at 325 with the IC/piping/intake/BC and exhaust and Mike at RRE pulled 320.2 with a K&N Drop in and "blkside edition" exhaust. Consider who tunes your car so that you can make plans for your long term goals...

"air assault"

The evo you watched had a mail in ecu reflash, which is retarded to buy. I bet the tune on that ECU was for 93 oct. Since the midwest dosen't have 91 at there pumps. Throw 89 octane in your car and you'd see your power drop off .... If he would of taken the car to AMS and let them tune it, those numbers would be higher.

ETHERevo10
07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I am looking at the Gunmetal Advans. The ones that curve out a little. I need to calm down a little. I might be stretching that CWO pay a little to far. lol.

Do You work on the air station? I think I've seen your car around.

Mightygnu
07-25-2008, 11:20 PM
If you plan to sell your AMS stuff, PM me and I will pick it up!

desertMarine
07-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Installed my Buschur cat back and the AMS test pipe. The Buschur Cat back sounds mean as hell! I will be in desperate need of tune soon. My car is opened up and I can feel the power gains but she really start pulling back in 3rd gear past 5500 rpm. I don't know if timing is being pulled, boost leaking out in spurts, or too much fuel. Still waiting on my Buschur intake and hard pipes. Looking forward to getting it all on and final tune. Pics coming soon.

desertMarine
07-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Test pipe and Buschur cat back updates.Â* I love the Buschur exhaust!Â* It has a very deep growl.Â* The fitment was 9 out of 10 and I still need to tweak it a little.Â* Overall it was a very easy install.Â* Pics are located below.Â* I love that the exhuast keeps the same stock look.Â*

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00270.jpg
Stock parts.Â* See you later gators!Â* I always hate taking off the bolts upstream on the CAT.Â* They are really on there.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00271.jpg

AMS Test pipe for off road use only.Â* Easy install of course.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00272.jpg

First part of the buschur exhaust.Â* I am sure the big resonator makes that deep growl.Â*

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00273.jpg

Second part of the Buschur exhuast.Â* You have to tighten everything up with large metal band clamps.Â* Not to hard but you must really get some torque on those to make sure they close all the way up.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00274.jpg

The tips look great.Â* Pretty close to stock.Â*

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n366/boscowashere/DSC00275.jpg

Looks close to stock but sounds mean as hell!

I received the GReddy downpipe in the mail today.Â* Yes I will go back and take my exhaust apart again, but I love wrenching on my car.Â* Let's see how the Greddy exhaust hooks up.

desertMarine
07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
I put the GReddy downpipe on today. Sorry, but I forgot to take pics. Changing the downpipe was easy. You have to remove the frame support that has four bolts to get a little extra room, but they are very easy. Then get an extender to get up in there. The bolts holding the downpipe were not tight at all. There was limited space to get in and not quite as easy as my evo VIII. Overall fitment was perfrect.

[D.I.]evolution
07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
do you work at miramar that hobby shop looks very familiar?

gsrIXevo
07-29-2008, 07:18 PM
wait the new X comes without the tar all over the bottom? Â*wow... that is different....

desertMarine
07-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Lol. Yep, the new X comes without all the tar crap on the bottom. There is a white tar like substance on the bottom but it is already hardened up before you start doing work.

I work at Camp Pendleton and use that auto hobby. Their help is worthless so figure on banging on parts for a while until the one guy who knows how to help you comes over. I had a guy come over yesterday asking me what I was doing with the exhuast and if I could teach him how to use the tools. That is how bad it is.

agent45
07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Nice!!! Hey desert marine, do you know Richie, he is a good friend of mine, and he sometimes is at the shop, he drives a gg 9. Good to hear some fellow X owners in the area O0

christoph562
07-31-2008, 08:30 AM
looks clean!!!

Macky
07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
the buschur doesnt look too good with all those welds. nice tips though. O0

nck brkr
07-31-2008, 08:41 AM
nice... planning to put up any vids on how loud it is?

desertMarine
08-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I can see about posting a vid with the sound. I sounds really deep and throaty. Cruise speed isn't that loud in the cabin and less droning.

desertMarine
08-10-2008, 08:57 PM
I ran the Intercooler and full TBE w/ test pipe. Got about .5 seconds faster in the 1/8 mile.

9.414 ET 1/8 mile stock
8.866 ET 1/8 mile with the below mods

Upcoming and still waiting for
Buschur U/LICP and Intake
Also, I am going to adjust the wastegate.

We will see how the times change towards the end of the month.

CASH$ MONEY
08-10-2008, 08:58 PM
whats going down Marine......

we seen you 2 weeks ago on base. Nice X!

desertMarine
08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks. Hit me up when you guys have a meet or get together!

CASH$ MONEY
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
do you know Tyler Bibb With the Red X ?

desertMarine
08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I haven't seen him. The only other X I seen in the area is a GG X on base but I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy.

xtremeboost
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I seen that too. You have to think about the cars potential. I have seen mods get you way up there on numbers without a tune and I have also seen the numbers almost the same with only a tune. The "Only a tune" option would probably be much cheaper. I am just a sucker for parts and looking for excuses to wrench on my car. I have a sneaky suspicion that adding mods with a tune and just a straight tune may be pretty close together on this car. For example, when adding an intake you are actually tuning your car in a way. Allowing more air in which would lean out the car a little.

Wouldn't it be amazing if Mitsu actually built the car to either be tuned to perfection without a single mod, or built to perfection without a single tune?

well , you may be on to something there ! My car is still 100% untuned , I think its running ok ...

ETHERevo10
08-11-2008, 05:11 PM
do you know Tyler Bibb With the Red X ?
Bibby Jooo

ARC_EVO
08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
does the intercooler come with the spray on AMS or do you do that yourself?

ETHERevo10
08-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I haven't seen him. The only other X I seen in the area is a GG X on base but I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy.

Look for a white wingless X w/ a blacked out intercooler badaged as a Lancer.Â* I work on the air station, I see you driving around alot.

desertMarine
08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
When you order the AMS intercooler you can purchase it without the AMS logo. For some reason I couldn't resist having the logo on there. :)

I will look for the White X. Very interseting that you badged your car as a Lancer. Trying to keep it low profile?

ETHERevo10
08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
When you order the AMS intercooler you can purchase it without the AMS logo. For some reason I couldn't resist having the logo on there. :)

I will look for the White X. Very interseting that you badged your car as a Lancer. Trying to keep it low profile?

Yea... I like to leave people wondering why they can't beat up on a Lancer..

desertMarine
08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Okay, I did the manual wastegate adjustment on my X last night.Â* Got the p1235 code and the vehicle went into limp mode and idles now at 2k.Â* I guess I overboosted and the computer didn't like it.Â* Still waiting on my Buschur intake and hard pipes before I get a tune.

*edit*
I started my car back up and the code reset itself. The idle is at normal speeds again. I guess this is just one more reason to get a tune. I am waiting on ECUflash but I may just pay the money to have a shope tune with ECUtek.

ETHERevo10
08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Okay, I did the manual wastegate adjustment on my X last night. Got the p1235 code and the vehicle went into limp mode and idles now at 2k. I guess I overboosted and the computer didn't like it. Still waiting on my Buschur intake and hard pipes before I get a tune.

*edit*
I started my car back up and the code reset itself. The idle is at normal speeds again. I guess this is just one more reason to get a tune. I am waiting on ECUflash but I may just pay the money to have a shope tune with ECUtek.

How Much PSI are you trying to run?

fusionofideas
09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Make the drive to RRE in Santa Fe Springs. I had them install just the AEM intake and I dyno'd at 280whp. With a custom exhaust from them and a tune Mike is telling me I can get to 350whp. Definitely worth the drive from san diego

evoxkrazy
11-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Nice work