PDA

View Full Version : JIC MAGIC for Evo X

ampdevo
08-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Anyone here using JIC MAGIC coilovers yet on the Evo X? I'd like to know your input before i pull the trigger O0

Miss Evo8
08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
www.Muellerized.com

They have these for the X now!

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=62407.0

Alucard
08-06-2008, 01:23 AM
:D

danielskshin
08-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I've had the TAS and now have the TAR. They are both great. I actually like the ride of the TAR better than the TAS. I wouldn't get any other coilover system other than JIC.

Wests
09-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I've had the TAS and now have the TAR. They are both great. I actually like the ride of the TAR better than the TAS. I wouldn't get any other coilover system other than JIC.

Is there a reason you prefer JIC? I am currently torn between the JIC, Zeal Xs, and HKS hipermax III. Sway me towards the JIC!

j_nizzle
09-04-2008, 09:33 AM

Is there a reason you prefer JIC? I am currently torn between the JIC, Zeal Xs, and HKS hipermax III. Sway me towards the JIC!

out of the box, JIC's are probably cheapest. LOL

Wests
09-04-2008, 02:27 PM

out of the box, JIC's are probably cheapest. LOL

Monetarily? Or quality wise? Because they certainly aren't cheap as far as price goes.

blkside
09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
By all means hit me up and I can show you what the Jics feel like over your stock susapension. PM me and well go for a ride... Im in lake elsinore,orange and santa ana/costa mesa area daily. read my thread and head out to the track on the 12th...

Wests
09-04-2008, 04:09 PM
By all means hit me up and I can show you what the Jics feel like over your stock susapension. PM me and well go for a ride... Im in lake elsinore,orange and santa ana/costa mesa area daily. read my thread and head out to the track on the 12th...

When would you be down for me to check them out? I'm in Riverside (91 and McKinley) right by the 15.

blkside
09-04-2008, 10:48 PM
pm me.. sunday afternoons are usually the best... and just so everyone understands... its a ride.. not drive...

DOHCtor
09-05-2008, 03:58 AM

When would you be down for me to check them out? I'm in Riverside (91 and McKinley) right by the 15.
I live around that area too. Haven't seen your car around though.

blkside
09-05-2008, 06:19 AM
You dont see my car... cops dont see my car...lol I am in Elsinore.... driving it today...

Whendidieatcorn
09-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Go with STANCE!!!

blkside
09-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Go with Taco Bell...

Why? Any particular reason or is that what you sell? or swear by....

I think the new Eibach sets coming out are going to be a nice option also..

j_nizzle
09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Monetarily? Or quality wise? Because they certainly aren't cheap as far as price goes.

i think it's just cost. they're all (the ones you listed) come out of the box made in japan. zeal and hks are just bigger names in the aftermarket niche. but for the evo market, i think JIC's are more popular in general because of the amount of people that do work/have experience working on them.

Go with STANCE!!!

why? (legit question)...i know a lot of the drifter/FR guys using these and they swear by them. not many evo guys go for these.

blkside
09-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh I know.. cause I said so.. didnt you know

fastkevin
09-07-2008, 01:49 AM

I can give you the single most important reason why. Support! HKS' have to be sent back to Japan whenever they need work, whether it be a rebuild or just revalving. Often times shocks need to be revalved right out of the box to suit the driver's/car's needs, and with the JIC's (never personally used them) at least, there's support locally. I believe JIC is located locally too.
If you think you'd never need them worked on(never mind the fact that they will need maintenance eventually), you're not pushing you car enough to utilize their capability, in which case, you probably could get away with the stock set-up, and maybe just a "Stage-1".

Wests
09-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Ok, so Zeal or JIC? I know Zeal can do the maintenance in Huntington Beach.

Evoegg
09-07-2008, 02:32 AM

I had JIC on my Evo 8 ..

Must say that was the best mod I ever had on my 8 ........

and It is going to be the first mod for my Evo X

Evoegg

fastkevin
09-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Maybe.. I know nothing about 'em, so I'm not qualified to give an opinion.

Whendidieatcorn
09-12-2008, 03:04 AM
Stance coilovers-
3 way adjustable
remote resevoirs
better valving
better materials

Throw a set of stance coilovers on a susupension dyno and compare them to JIC or KW. And just see which coilovers overheat first.
Stance out performs all other coilovers in the 2500 dollar range and under.

Wests
09-12-2008, 03:16 AM
Stance coilovers-
3 way adjustable
remote resevoirs
better valving
better materials

Throw a set of stance coilovers on a susupension dyno and compare them to JIC or KW. And just see which coilovers overheat first.

How does stance compare to Zeal? Where are Stance coilovers made?

fastkevin
11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I did a fair amount of research before I went with Muellerized JIC's. While talking to John about 'em, I was totally shocked when he told me nothing else is needed. No sways, bushings..nothing. I gotta admit, I thought for sure I'd be getting more body roll than I wanted, but since he was the seller and he had opportunity to up sell me on other pieces, but didn't, I flipped him the keys, and let him have at it. Took the car to the SOW yesterday, and was completely surprised at how well they worked. No (NONE) body roll, no push, and so much traction, every time I'd go on the banking through the bowl, I got dizzy from all the g's. My big, fat, heavy Evo 10 (spare tire and all) easily managed low to mid .26's, all in traffic, and the one time I got 3/4 of a clean lap, it dropped down to a mid-.25. All I did all day was adjust tire pressures, and while John had me call him after every session, I honestly couldn't come up with anything I wanted to change. I've never rolled into a track with new suspension, and never had to make ANY adjustments. I'm a pessimist, and I have no doubt the thing could turn low .25's, maybe even .24's (especially with a rabbit) on an empty track.
If I didn't experience it for myself, I wouldn't believe a 3500-pound Evo 10 street car with just JIC's would be capable of turning .25's while having to deal with rolling chicanes. With a mortal at the wheel anyway..
I would 100% recommend Muellerized JIC's for an Evo. Their performance capability + their relatively low cost + the lack of need to run bigger sway bars with 'em, is a package it's ridiculous to pass on.

ASSALBERT
11-18-2008, 02:05 AM
Stance coilovers-
3 way adjustable
remote resevoirs
better valving
better materials

shock dyno? lol, just because they take heat better doesnt mean they are better. how long has Stance been in the business? background info? KW have been in the game for ALOT longer and plus they use Koni dampers, theres no way in hell a Stance damper will outperform a Koni, Even if KW/Koni are twintube and the Stance is a monotube. plus everyone and their mom's are coming out with double adjustable coilovers lately, look at BCRacing (Bor Chuann) and KSport. i have a big feeling that Stance is china/taiwanese made anyways. just because they are popular among "drifters" doesnt mean anything, look at how popular Megan coilovers were with Evo and Sti owners and people claim they make the car handle sooo well (these guys prob drive around with their tires tucked too)... im sure someones going to talk about how Stance sponsors some time attack cars and drift cars... i dont recall any Stance equipped cars winning any big events? (if they did, feel free to chime in.) with all this said, JIC is the first company that comes to mind, because it seems there are quite a bit of anti-JIC guys on socalevo. now i dont even run JIC coilovers, but i follow time attack events quite often and JIC is consistently one of the top Unlimited class teams in timeattack. although it was 2 years ago, they still managed to beat the Cyber Evo's time at Buttonwillow and set the all time record back then. and if i recall, the s15 was running on custom built FLT-A2's, no external reservoirs or anything. now im not saying JIC coilovers are the best things out there, i just pointed them out because alot of people seem to talk alot of trash on them while i only see them busting their ass to build fast cars, which they do. imo, any street class car can do well on almost any suspension as long as the car is set up properly, with the suspension revalved and dialed in, a good set of tires and a good driver. if you really want to prove the products worth, lets see what you can do up against the big boys in the unlimited class, i really wonder if these stance coilovers (or any of those other companies) can take the repeated rigorous beatings on rcomps.

fastkevin
11-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Â* any street class car can do well on almost any suspension as long as the car is set up properly, with the suspension revalved and dialed in, a good set of tires and a good driver. if you really want to prove the products worth, lets see what you can do up against the big boys in the unlimited class, i really wonder if these stance coilovers (or any of those other companies) can take the repeated rigorous beatings on rcomps.

I'd have to disagree with this. With a "Street" car, you don't nearly the level of chassis/suspension help that you do in a highly modified car, and you don't have the good rubber to "suck up" any inadequacies(although my "street car" was running on R1's, but shocks only, nothing else). In a modified car, you're be able to use external res. shocks, which usually gives you infinite available adjustments, plus the ability to adjust for low, AND high speed compression, on top of rebound and preload. You're also able to pick and choose the size of adjustable sway(s) you want, run wider fenders, which allow you to run much wider wheels and tires, plus you're dealing with tires that have a lot (after having driven on R1's after Z1's, I can clearly state that this is an understatement) more grip, a car that weighs a lot less, and a motor that puts out a lot more power. Put all this together, you have a package that while giving a boat-load more capability, also gives a lot more adjustment, and is more likely to cover for a set-up that's not quite spot on. With a "Street Class" set up, you have a roughly 3500-pound car, who's shocks have to do their job at 110% of their capability, because they're literally the only tool in the box that's gonna get the job done. The car usually doesn't have anything else on it to help out. They alone have to keep the front and rear-ends in line, they have to keep body roll at a minimum, and they have to maximize what little grip the tires have. There's no room to give up any of it, as there aren't any other pieces on the car that'll cover for their inadequacies. To me, it's a lot like motorcycle Supersport racing(something I'm familiar with). The vehicle doesn't have any real advantages, and therefore has to do laps on a track as perfectly as possible, as there isn't any motor to pick you up from a bad entrance or exit, and there aren't any trick suspension pieces that will keep the vehicle glued down to the track, no matter what. It comes basically down to the suspension, and with that, the shocks. They're either gonna hurt you, or help you. Either way, 95% of the responsibility of a good lap-from an equipment standpoint, is squarely on their backs.
I understand what you're saying about the unlimited classes being very competitive, but so can the street class. And with the street class, the driver doesn't have the power or grip to be able to attack the track in a way that is advantageous to his set up. "Street" cars are heavy, and relatively under-powered. The ability to stay on a perfect line, and stay balanced, cannot be understated. Any slide is a loss of momentum, which is lost time, and in reality, the job of keeping the car going forward as fast as possible comes down to the shocks.
That's my $.02 anyway... as useful/useless as it is :-\

ASSALBERT
11-18-2008, 03:28 AM
lol, you forgot to add the part where i said "imo". but i think you might have misinterpreted what i wrote. i didnt mean to say a street car can do well against a modified or unlimited class car. i meant a street class cars in general, racing against other street class cars. but yea, i totally understand what you mean, and it makes sense.

fastkevin
11-18-2008, 03:35 AM
Sorry.. I was kinda on a roll. :uglystupid2:
My point, was that I feel a street class car puts more emphasis on the shocks than an unlimited car, as on a street car... they're it. There aren't any other components (sways, bushings, links, tires, cages, etc...) to help 'em out

blkside
11-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Kevin loves his suspension. Kevin you married.... I think your in love with another woman.... suspension...lol

fastkevin
11-19-2008, 09:41 PM
It's more like I look at it as a monkey that's either gonna behave and make life easy, or run a muck, and throw poop on the walls.
Needless to say...no poop-throwing with this one.

j_nizzle
11-20-2008, 11:09 AM

can you link something to document this? like i said before, a lot of people i know run stance and swear by them, but none of them "track" their cars so it's hard to judge the quality performance over other brands.

Where are Stance coilovers made?

stance is advertised to be made in japan.

Miss Evo8
11-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Just because something is "JDM" does not necessitate "quality" :buck2: Yes JIC's are "JDM" BUT If they break I know I have the local support of Muellerized... O0 I'd rather have the local support if I break my car or the parts I put on it. I believe some people get caught up at times with the whole "JDM" thing.

blkside
11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
JDM is how I live my life... Just Doesnt Matter

ASSALBERT
11-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Just because something is "JDM" does not necessitate "quality" :buck2: Yes JIC's are "JDM" BUT If they break I know I have the local support of Muellerized... O0 I'd rather have the local support if I break my car or the parts I put on it. I believe some people get caught up at times with the whole "JDM" thing.

thats so true, although there are some good suspensions that come out of japan, imo the japanese are still far behind the dutch and germans. also, alot of people dont realize it, but many "jdm" companies outsource their lower end suspension from dare i say it... taiwan. plus, if you see, most big name shops in japan dont even use japanese suspension, its mostly dutch and german (sachs, ohlins, bilstein, aragosta etc...)

fastkevin
11-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Most of the lower tier suspension, the country of origin of the company not withstanding, are made in China Taiwan etc..
Even a lot of the stuff made in Japan is junk. I did a bucket-load of research on the subject before I bought mine, andÂ* I came across a study done by an independent suspension engineer (American). He ripped apart damn near every shock made, and IIRC, it was highly improbable that he could get 4 jap shocks to be anywhere close to one another on valving. He mentioned that he'd also see internals installed wrong. Apparently, there's very little quality control with a lot of it, and they clearly don't think the end-user is gonna actually use 'em in the capacity in which they're marketed.
Knowing enough about suspension to make me dangerous, I had already decided to buy my suspension from someone who could set it up and service it, but after reading that study, I decided that I was gonna buy 'em from somebody who went through them to begin with.
Having said all that, I gotta say that I've worked with Ohlins suspension on motorcycles ranging from a $1k shock all the way up to a set of $11k gas-charged forks. I don't remember once simply bolting on a shock to a racebike, and it working how we wanted it to right off the bat. We've always changed at least spring rates, and most of the time even valving.
This is why I feel that buying suspension from a qualified tuner is at least as important as the brand of shock you choose, if not more-so.

ASSALBERT
11-21-2008, 08:26 PM
lol, i have to agree that alot of the suspensions that comes out of japan are crap. although with springs, i think swift springs from japan are in my opinion the best aftermarket springs on the market. but the only japanese suspension i think is really good is the tein src, other than that i dont know what else, maybe zeal? cusco? lol. speaking of motorcycles, actually one of my friends get all his cars coilovers revavled by a guy that does motorcycle suspension. btw, kevin would you care to share the study you mentioned? im interested in reading it O0

fastkevin
11-21-2008, 11:42 PM
I got it off a link on EvoM several months ago. Maybe search "Suspension study".

Don Nguyen
04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
JIC seems like they make decent stuff, but I've heard they have less then stellar customer service. I am basing it off from what I have heard Porsche guys say, regarding JIC coilovers.

blkside
04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Good thing this isnt a porsche forum and we have John Mueller... no need for personal Jic Support... we have #1

ej257gd
04-21-2009, 02:16 PM
JIC suspension's are made in korea BTW...

Also, JIC customer service is pretty awful.

JIC motto is "OH IT BROKE?!?! TOO BAD!!!"

blkside
04-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Well let me guess by the EJ25 screen name you own a subaru and are posting for no good reason. You may be referring to JIC customer service in Downey but we have our own source... www.muellerized.com...

Evo owners motto: uh oh its another Subie... pssshhhh psssshhh psssshshhhh

ej257gd
04-21-2009, 05:10 PM
WRONG.... (But LOL on the EVO owner motto thing)

Own a EVO X!!!!

Been thru 2 sets of JIC FLT A2's... on 2 sti's.. (Never going back)

AND YES. Refering to JIC and John Kim (I mean John Kanada or whatever calls him self now!)

Well let me guess by the EJ25 screen name you own a subaru and are posting for no good reason. You may be referring to JIC customer service in Downey but we have our own source... www.muellerized.com...

Evo owners motto: uh oh its another Subie... pssshhhh psssshhh psssshshhhh

blkside
04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Well Dump John Kim and get John Mueller and your more than welcome to hit me up and see how my X feels with the JICs... Step up to FLT TAR and youll be ok...

ej257gd
04-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Well Dump John Kim and get John Mueller and your more than welcome to hit me up and see how my X feels with the JICs... Step up to FLT TAR and youll be ok...

Thanks for the offer. Robi Robispecd kw's for me while back. pretty happy with those. :)

evogeo
04-22-2009, 02:57 PM
how about jic flt tar.. out of the box.. does anybody have any personal experience with these? i belive its 10k 8k

would anybody recommend kw v3 over the jic flt tar?

thanks,
geo

blkside
04-22-2009, 03:08 PM
A friend had out of the box JIC Tar on his 10 and you can tell the difference between those and muellerized. I installed KW3 on another X a while back and they feel good but too soft for my liking... definitely doesnt hang in the turns with mine...

evogeo
04-22-2009, 03:20 PM
thank you for the answer ^^

urneighborhood
05-09-2009, 02:21 PM
i am on them now..installed them 3 weeks ago. stiff like rolling on stone wheels

blkside
05-09-2009, 05:01 PM
i am on them now..installed them 3 weeks ago. stiff like rolling on stone wheels

Who installed and adjusted them.. Mine are nothing like "stone wheels" What type wheels are you running...

urneighborhood
05-10-2009, 12:36 AM
runnin stock wheels. its stiff, but handles like crazy

blkside
05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Who installed them. Are they out of the box JICs or have they been tuned?

urneighborhood
05-10-2009, 01:31 PM
out of the box of jics

blkside
05-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Have them tuned up at West End Alignment

Maxstyle
09-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Muellerized JIC and Regular JIC are a big Diff. Seems like JIC just sets their systems just enough to accomodate the average tuner. Not onlly that but there spring rates are typical JDM suspension tuning. The theory that the sway bar should just be left along and use the spring rate to help eliminate the understeer. Especially with the 10kg/14kt setup. Ive seen people complain that it creates too much oversteer and the car feels twitchy. But that is when they have upgraded sway bars. Just depends on the route you want to take as far as tuning. Either way, you end up wanting the same results just though different routes. You also have acd flashes which is another variable (I personally love). But that's just me playing the devil's advocate. LOL