PDA

View Full Version : 2 Map ECU Switch?

Jap_WHiP
08-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Is Scott the only tuner doing the 2 Map ECU switch set-up?

I really like the set-up...

05CBR
08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
.....I know Bryan from GST also does this. Only available for the VIIIs so far that I know of. But actually this all started from a guy on Evom, Tephra.

GokuSSJ4
08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
.....I know Bryan from GST also does this. Only available for the VIIIs so far that I know of. But actually this all started from a guy on Evom, Tephra.

to my understanding there's several folks here in SCE that have it on their IX's as well, not just VIII's. Not sure if you were implying VIIIs and IXs, since there is a huge difference with the X.
But just to clear somethings out.
E85 and 91 maps are the best... I will be getting my car tune soon with E85.

Skiracer
08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
The switch works fine on my IX...

Residue
08-21-2008, 12:01 AM
its available for the 8's and 9's. Any tuner should be able to do this, the info and necessary files are available to anyone. I will be installing mine this weekend once i get my harness! :D

05CBR
08-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Cool, have been out for the loop for a while. Good to hear that it available for the IXs as well.

But just to clear things up, we are talking about the EXTERNAL switch that Tephra made popular on Evom by using the Intercooler Sprayer on the 03s right? Not the ability to have 2 maps in the ECU, which anybody can do, but it takes a laptop to be able to switch maps

Evo8urv8
08-21-2008, 12:05 AM
It's available for 03s-06s, except for 05s.Â* :-(
Bryan just finished working it out on the 05s yesterday. (I'm guessing it's his own personal 05 MR)

Always been working fine on the 03-04 and 06

However, I did get the 05 working just fine the other day. Send me a PM so we can get yours set up. :)

Skiracer
08-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Scot has it working for '05s since his '05 evo is his daily driver....

GokuSSJ4
08-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Cool, have been out for the loop for a while. Good to hear that it available for the IXs as well.

But just to clear things up, we are talking about the EXTERNAL switch that Tephra made popular on Evom by using the Intercooler Sprayer on the 03s right? Not the ability to have 2 maps in the ECU, which anybody can do, but it takes a laptop to be able to switch maps
external switch without the need of a laptop.. unless you have an AEM EMS

05CBR
08-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Goku, thats what I was thinking.

Evo8urv8
08-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Scot has it working for '05s since his '05 evo is his daily driver....

Good for him then. O0

DruMMinStUd06
08-21-2008, 12:53 AM
so you can go out to radio shack, get a switch and use that instead? for those without the IC spray switch...

Skiracer
08-21-2008, 12:56 AM
so you can go out to radio shack, get a switch and use that instead? for those without the IC spray switch...

Yes sir, but i upgraded mine from Radio Shack to Pep Boys brand switch :2funny:

DruMMinStUd06
08-21-2008, 01:14 AM

Yes sir, but i upgraded mine from Radio Shack to Pep Boys brand switchÂ* Â* :2funny:

Please post before/after dyno graphs.

Skiracer
08-21-2008, 01:23 AM
i didn't do a baseline of the radio shack toggle switch mod, so the dyno plot of the Pep Boys toggle switch i have is worthless...

CASH$ MONEY
08-21-2008, 02:40 AM
skiracer... no more E-85 for you?

EVOMANIAC
08-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Reese Tuning also does the MAP switching. I have it on my car for 2 months now and it works flawlessly.

hardcoreracing
08-21-2008, 09:06 AM
It's not that difficult as long as you have a map switch harness and the tephra mod done to your ecuflash.Â*

You can purchase a premade harness here if you don't want to make one yourself:

http://www.dsm-ezine.com/orderpage1.html

You can find the latest tephra mod here:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=362643

And if you have no idea what the hell I'm talking about I suggest you go to your favorite tuner and have him do it for you lol...

Skiracer
08-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Yes sir, but i upgraded mine from Radio Shack to Pep Boys brand switchÂ* Â* :2funny:

Please post before/after dyno graphs.

As you can see from my dyno graphs, the Pep Boyz toggle switch is superior to the Radio Shaq toggle switch ....

DruMMinStUd06
08-21-2008, 05:13 PM
:D

Terenus
08-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Shit, I better change to Pepboys.

CASH$ MONEY
08-21-2008, 06:38 PM
sucks you can't do the map switch on the aem ems... >:(

DruMMinStUd06
08-21-2008, 06:40 PM
^ I think I've seen it done before...

CASH$ MONEY
08-21-2008, 06:40 PM
thats not what Dr. g told me...

EVOMANIAC
08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
You can do it, just have to know how to do it. There is another set of maps that can be used just by the flick of a switch. Buschur tuned a car over a year ago on the AEM for 91 and e85 using a MAP switch.

Jap_WHiP
08-22-2008, 12:20 AM
What the f is so hard about answering the OP question?!

MANIAC and hardcore (the links are great) Thanks! -at least someone can focus...

Looks great, I'll put it in and get the additional tune...

Still wondering if any other shops do it... TT?

I'm going to roll down to the local electronics store to get a sick ass, "missle armed" switch- it will make me feel cooler...

Anyhow, So when they do the additional MAP how do they go about storing the additional MAP on the ECU?Â* Just wondering what the steps are..

Skiracer
08-22-2008, 12:47 AM
from what i've seen, not that difficult to do the map switch on 03,04, 06 models. '05 models requires a little more effort. As to why the 05's require more effort, i'm not sure...

Jap_WHiP
08-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks Ski, Crap and I have an 05' too...

Anyone know what's the deal with that?

Evo8urv8
08-22-2008, 01:22 AM

Someone told me that we need to get this (http://www.dsm-ezine.com/orderpage1.html) to deal with our 05's. :-(

gsrIXevo
08-22-2008, 01:25 AM
man.. just go have a heart to heart with scot on the pm side... your acting like a freaking woman shopping for a hand bag... plus you and i know very damn well your just making sure i never can say i beat you.

back to the OP: hit up scot and see what all is needed besides injectors 750 or higher... fuel pump... and i dont think TT does this yet. if they do good for them but i have only seen the mad doctor do this first and all his cars have chimed in and are still running. Â*

oh and i know your gonna have some specail fun if your works tune is locked.

goodnite and i hope you get it soon... i dont wanna go get it for a day and try to race you...lol

Terenus
08-22-2008, 01:30 AM
man.. just go have a heart to heart with scot on the pm side... your acting like a freaking woman shopping for a hand bag... plus you and i know very damn well your just making sure i never can say i beat you.

back to the OP: hit up scot and see what all is needed besides injectors 750 or higher... fuel pump... and i dont think TT does this yet. if they do good for them but i have only seen the mad doctor do this first and all his cars have chimed in and are still running.

oh and i know your gonna have some specail fun if your works tune is locked.

goodnite and i hope you get it soon... i dont wanna go get it for a day and try to race you...lol

ROFL, I don't see what's so hard either.

DruMMinStUd06
08-22-2008, 07:23 AM
FYI both Naji (Looney Tuning), Scot Gray, and I believe RRE do this.

Naji has said that he doesn't do installs, so you'd have to install it yourself and take it to him.

hardcoreracing
08-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Installation videos found here:

http://www.dsm-ezine.com/install.html

EVOMANIAC
08-22-2008, 08:38 AM

Reese Tuning in SD does it. It was tested on my car and there is also another customer with it on his car. The '05 dont have enough memory space in the ROM because of the ACD taking up extra space, and yes before everyone tells me the ACD has its own computer I know that already. What you have to do is use a EUDM ROM in the car and you will lose the immobilizer feature, but with the Tephra mod you can use the valet mode set at like 500 RPM and the car wont start anyways.

silvrEVOIXn818
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Installation videos found here:

http://www.dsm-ezine.com/install.html

nice vid. havent seen that 1... thanx for sharing. why did it stop right in the middle of the install, or was he just showing how to access it?

Looney Tuning
08-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Anyhow, So when they do the additional MAP how do they go about storing the additional MAP on the ECU? Just wondering what the steps are..

You will have to download the tephra patched map that works with your rom id. Then you will add code to the base xml of your rom id. Then you will remove the multiple timing, BDEL, and WGDC maps from the xml file. There are 3 of each. This way you are left with 1 timing map, 1 WGDC map and one BDEL map. In addition you will see the Alternate map timing, WGDC, and BDEL maps. So now you have TWO maps in the rom. You tune one for 91 octane and you tune the other for 100 octane or e85. To activate one or the other your will need the hardware that was posted in one of the links.

Personally, I do not like tapping/soldering into the ECU harness wires. I like to keep the harnesses on my car unmolested. Tunning the patched map is not different than tuning any other map.

kimletrim
08-22-2008, 01:14 PM
^^and the perfect reason to hang on to those wiring harness patches such as those offered by Fields.

Skiracer
08-22-2008, 02:26 PM
^^and the perfect reason to hang on to those wiring harness patches such as those offered by Fields.

+1 ECU extension harnesses rock... O0

ASIXMRSE
08-22-2008, 03:21 PM
i jsut got schooled.

word.

hardcoreracing
08-22-2008, 07:52 PM
You don't necessarily need to splice and dice your ecu harness and you don't need to buy an extension harness either.Â* There are three connections on the pre-made map switch.Â* One is for power, one is for ground, and the other is for adc input.Â* The only wire you need to connect to the ecu harness is the wire for the adc input.Â* You find an unused slot on the harness and connect it there.Â* No tapping or cutting is involved.Â* Then for the power and ground wires you just tap them into your radio harness instead of the ecu.Â* That's the stealthiest way to do it.Â* Â*O0

Jap_WHiP
08-22-2008, 11:07 PM
GST thanks, quick and simple....

John and King T can "suck mE balls"...Â* Â* O0 I'm just trying to eduMcate myself...

Hardcore, thanks again, I watched all the vids/read etc. from the links earlier- its all there, simple as can be...

Since I don't know the tuning game, I'll install all the required parts and locate my tuner of choice... which I really have no idea who, due to the fact that my sled has been a WORKS whore for its whole life...

05CBR
08-23-2008, 09:11 AM

BUDLoNG
08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
where did you find the IX harness?

Skiracer
08-23-2008, 02:30 PM
where did you find the IX harness?

I think RRE has some...

XBS
08-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I think someone on EvoM sales a pre-made harness that just needs power, ground, and to plug in to the correct pin on your ECU.

Its pretty easy to do this mod yourself, If you don't want to tune the car I can understand, but everything else is pretty straight forward.

05CBR
08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
^ yea that was covered ealier in the thread. Tephra is the one that does this on Evom.........

XBS
08-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Sorry, I missed it :(

Residue
08-25-2008, 03:53 PM
^ yea that was covered ealier in the thread. Tephra is the one that does this on Evom.........

Actually Jack_of_Trades (Jaime) makes the harnesses. Mine should be here any day now.

Tephra mods the roms. O0

EVOMANIAC
08-25-2008, 06:50 PM
I can get you premade harnesses if you need one.

gsrIXevo
08-25-2008, 07:09 PM
if it were a simple hook up like a 06 IX then i would tell you to just do it.. but unless u buy an extra ECU harness just incase u splice the wrong wire. Go to RRE and get it done there.... just pick where you want them to put it....

duces wild....

XBS
08-27-2008, 10:58 AM
^^^ ?

If you don't have a IX then you just use the stock ICS switch, can't get much easier than that.

Unless you meant something else by your post?

Skiracer
08-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I like the wiring setup RRE uses since its homeade, looks cleaner, and doesn't use radio shack speaker wire O0

XBS
08-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Wire is wire, especially for a switch like this, it doesn't matter what kind you use.

How can one look cleaner than they other, if all you see is a switch once they are both installed.

kimletrim
08-31-2008, 11:53 PM
^^+1 , wire is wire for this application at least. The real important part is the connection. Just make sure they are sealed and secure.

And who is King T?

Jap_WHiP
08-31-2008, 11:57 PM
"King T" = Terenus

EVOMANIAC
09-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Wire is wire, especially for a switch like this, it doesn't matter what kind you use.

How can one look cleaner than they other, if all you see is a switch once they are both installed.

Wire is not wire. When you install something like this in a car you have to use multistrand so it wont brake. Do not use a solid wire.

XBS
09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Who said anything about solid wire? Who even uses that anymore? We aren't building a home here... lol

Way to pick apart my post and take it out of context though!

+1 on GST.

EVOMANIAC
09-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Wire is not wire. When you install something like this in a car you have to use multistrand so it wont brake. Do not use a solid wire.

It's not solid wire.

The people that badmouth or cringe at the wire that 'Jack' uses make me laugh. Those people need some more homework time with electronics.

I never said it was a solid wire. I was quoting the person that said wire is wire. I said do not use solid wire. Jack uses 18ga multistrand copper wire. I use the same wire except mine is red and black so it is very easy to install, red + black -.
Jack also does a very nice job of soldering all conections cleanly and he kept the price down on the harnesses by not using fancy rocker switches. Jack did a great job designing and amking his harnesses.