PDA

View Full Version : Exedy Vs ACT? help?

jose.chen
08-31-2008, 10:16 AM
okay so today i decided to give 2step a try, follow the directions of a few comments i read in this forum

so basically clutch in, gas in, rev limiter kicks in at 5.5k rpm and then let go of the clutch (slipping?) not too fast nor too slow, the rpms drops to like 3k and then it goes smooth. Is that what it suppose to happen? hopefully.

okay after that i smell burnt clutch not a lot but enough to smell it.

now before i get to the point that i completely need to change my clutch and all that, i would like to know which set be good for someone like me:

No mods yet, just maybe launch it once or twice in like 3 months?, and daily drive car.

i might start to lean towards drag race events but i doubt it.

and for me, i don't really know much about cars, still learning, so flywheel? clutch kit? what should i get? I been reading that Exedy is good, but then others say ACT is not as bad, but cheaper? someone please teach me more about this stuff, i tried looking through the forum but god I'm really bad at it lol

also slippage on a clutch, what exactly does that mean. How does it feel when you regularly drive, i mean today i burnt my clutch but how bad? i have no idea, i would like to know when i should really change a clutch before i get stuck in the middle of the road lol

i'll add more once i remember what i was going to ask, and sorry for all this novice questions. the X is my first car and anything before that was my parents' SUV or mini van o.o

Edit: How much should i expect to spend over all? clutch kit, flywheel, installation? (estimates would be good enough)

christoph562
08-31-2008, 05:16 PM
A slipping clutch would have symptoms of rpms shooting up really fast when stepping on the gas and then coming back down and catching.

ACT is good.

Exedy is good.

I hear the ACT is better.

Just keep looking around. I'm pretty sure you didnt burn your clutch that good this time to make your clutch slip.

Ive had to do it alot with 2 track days and multiple launches (some good, some bad learning experience ) for it to finally go.

Launching is kinda hard on an awd car.

You gotta know the catch point and how to release and where to stop then releasing again.

ask around but i dont recommend launching on an evo unless you really know what you are doing.

GL with the clutch if you do choose to upgrade.

I think clutch kits go for like 600-700 depending on the brand and stage.

Flywheels are like 200

Might as well change the flywheel since you are already going to be in there. Makes your rpms spool up faster. engine doesnt have work as much since its lighter weight.

PUNISHER
08-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Stop launching your car.... unless you go to the track and get something out of it, plus if your not heavily mod.. what have you got to prove??? .... thats my opinion....

If i ever get a clutch and flywheel... In my opinion i would go with ACT... thats just me.

jose.chen
08-31-2008, 07:23 PM
well it doesn't hurt to learn how to launch, specially if i was doing it in a parking lot with no cars/people around, not even 3 cops that passed by me said anything lol

and i'm starting to lean towards the ACT, and it has more options than exedy i think? for the x at least

vial8or
09-01-2008, 01:36 AM
lol serious, ur unmodded, you'll run 14's haha

get a 6puck, or maybe a twin disc. that should be enough for you

jose.chen
09-01-2008, 01:52 AM
lol right now i'm not worry about time, i just wanna have some fun you know?

but yeah i might get the 6 puck later on

vial8or
09-01-2008, 02:39 AM
fun...ya i know haha

go 6puck and call it a day

javicracer
09-01-2008, 02:50 PM
okay so today i decided to give 2step a try, follow the directions of a few comments i read in this forum

so basically clutch in, gas in, rev limiter kicks in at 5.5k rpm and then let go of the clutch (slipping?) not too fast nor too slow, the rpms drops to like 3k and then it goes smooth. Is that what it suppose to happen? hopefully.

okay after that i smell burnt clutch not a lot but enough to smell it.

now before i get to the point that i completely need to change my clutch and all that, i would like to know which set be good for someone like me:

No mods yet, just maybe launch it once or twice in like 3 months?, and daily drive car.

i might start to lean towards drag race events but i doubt it.

and for me, i don't really know much about cars, still learning, so flywheel? clutch kit? what should i get? I been reading that Exedy is good, but then others say ACT is not as bad, but cheaper? someone please teach me more about this stuff, i tried looking through the forum but god I'm really bad at it lol

also slippage on a clutch, what exactly does that mean. How does it feel when you regularly drive, i mean today i burnt my clutch but how bad? i have no idea, i would like to know when i should really change a clutch before i get stuck in the middle of the road lol

i'll add more once i remember what i was going to ask, and sorry for all this novice questions. the X is my first car and anything before that was my parents' SUV or mini van o.o

Edit: How much should i expect to spend over all? clutch kit, flywheel, installation? (estimates would be good enough)

Ill say make your car faster and then worried for the clutch. My .02 cents.

srjohns
09-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I had the exedy single in my last evo, loved it. I have never had an ACT clutch though, so I can't give you a fair comparison, I would imagine both would be just fine for what you plan on doing.