PDA

View Full Version : its hard to shift into 5th gear, any suggestions?

scumdog
09-06-2008, 12:50 PM
i have a ix gsr.It has stock clutch,flywheel and shift assembly.I can shift fast into every gear but fifth.It seems kinda hard to put it in sometimes and also seems to grind a little bit.Any suggestions on why it does this only some of the time? It does feel hard to put it in more then not.would a short shift kit help me with this.I hate it when driving fast i always have to take a little time to get it in. I always make sure the clutch is pushed in all the way also.

05CBR
09-06-2008, 12:52 PM
i have a ix gsr.It has stock clutch,flywheel and shift assembly.I can shift fast into every gear but fifth.It seems kinda hard to put it in sometimes and also seems to grind a little bit.Any suggestions on why it does this only some of the time? It does feel hard to put it in more then not.would a short shift kit help me with this.I hate it when driving fast i always have to take a little time to get it in. I always make sure the clutch is pushed in all the way also.

Your synchros are starting to go out. Happens to alot of IXs. Happened to me, got it covered under warranty by SCM.

Dirty Harry
09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
When was the last time you changed the fluids in the tranny?

ASIXMRSE
09-06-2008, 12:58 PM
try starting with the basics.... Â*change your transmission fluid. Â*plus if you bought it used, who knows the last time it was changed, let alone how the last person who had it drove it and what was done to it ya know?

start with a fluid change ( OEM reccomended fluids) Â*then go from there. Â*otherwise, get it fixed by sending it to shep. O0

GL

05CBR
09-06-2008, 12:59 PM
try starting with the basics.... change your transmission fluid. plus if you bought it used, who knows the last time it was changed, let alone how the last person who had it drove it and what was done to it ya know?

start with a fluid change ( OEM reccomended fluids) then go from there. otherwise, get it fixed by sending it to shep. O0

GL

Send it to Shep? for what? Since its been well documented that the GSR tranny has bad synchros and those are covered by WARRANTY.

05CBR
09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
When was the last time you changed the fluids in the tranny?

Fluids dont cause just 1 gear to fail or feel notchy. Bad Synchros do.

ASIXMRSE
09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
does he have warrenty if its bought used?

05CBR
09-06-2008, 01:01 PM
does he have warrenty if its bought used?

warranty tranfers.........

05CBR
09-06-2008, 01:05 PM
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Warranty Program
Basic 5 year / 60,000 miles
Free Maintenance N/A
Drivetrain 10 year / 100,000 miles
Roadside 5 year / Unlimited miles
Rust 7 year / 100,000 miles

scumdog
09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I bought it from a friend,he had mods done to it but i bought it stock.It currently has 25,xxx miles on it.How do i know if it is under warranty.I know he ran it at qwuallcomm before didnt mitsubishi start going to tracks and writing down license plate numbers to void the warranty?

Massimo Power
09-06-2008, 01:37 PM
no...

Just start with the basics...

Change the tranny fluid...

if you still have problems take it to southcoast mitsubishi... and only southcoast..

ASIXMRSE
09-06-2008, 01:42 PM
^^ thank you.

it really might clear the problem, it might not, but start with the cheaper alternative, then go from there.

scumdog
09-06-2008, 01:53 PM
i called southcoast,they said it is under warranty and to bring it in on monday.i live in San Diego though aand would have to drive it all the way up there and leave it for a couple days.Will they care about the turboback i have on my car?It has a cat? That and a walbro is all i have done to it.

Massimo Power
09-06-2008, 01:58 PM
they are mod friendly to an extent... you shouldnt have a problem..

EvilAWD10
09-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Is your car white too? damn you gus!

05CBR
09-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I took my car there modded and it was no problem. But yea, only take it to SCM then let them handle it from there, very good guys there.

And can somebody explain to me how fluids can cause one gear to not function properly and not the others? If one gear is grinding and not wanting to go in, then its the gear itself, not fluids.

05CBR
09-06-2008, 02:47 PM
^^ thank you.

it really might clear the problem, it might not, but start with the cheaper alternative, then go from there.

Cheaper alternative? Hmmmmm. Isnt it cheaper to take it to SCM and get the work done under WARRANTY, therefore no money out of your pocket? And by taking it to the dealer right from the beggening its actually better, because that way they cant say that you messed around with the fluids or anything.

S2myEVO
09-06-2008, 02:49 PM
take it to glendale.

MOD friendly dealer of choice fo me

ASIXMRSE
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
but what if the problem completely goes away with a simple transmission fluid change? Â* the cost of gas up there and back to SD would be more, not to mention, who knows if this guy even has a spare ride to use.

not trying to argue, just sayin. lol O0

05CBR
09-06-2008, 02:54 PM
but what if the problem completely goes away with a simple transmission fluid change?Â* Â*the cost of gas up there and back to SD would be more, not to mention, who knows if this guy even has a spare ride to use.

not trying to argue, just sayin. lol O0

lol, its cool. If it was fluids it would be every gear, not just a random one that everybody knows it fails. Shit when mine was going out right after getting my ACT installed at RRE I called Honda and the first thing out of his mouth was: "is it 5th gear thats grinding, take it to SCM and get the warranty for it". Once I showed up there and they took the car in they told me it was gunna be 2 weeks because of the amount of cars that were there for the same issue.

And yea I think its a WW thing! lol. That I know, I had the issue and 2 of my other friends with WW also had to get 5th gear fixed.

EvilAWD10
09-06-2008, 03:43 PM
having worked on dsm's all of my damn short life, more than likely if you continue driving your going to notice your going to have a hard time putting reverse in after a while. this with no doubt sounds like a synchro

gravvyboy
09-06-2008, 03:58 PM
My 8 is having these same problems that everyone is talking about: Problems shifting into 5th, reverse gear not engaging all the time

Guess my next stop is SoCo Mitsu.

I would like to know what the average price for repairs that everybody has experienced related to this issue?

EvilAWD10
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
depending who you go to. prices can vary on what type of rebuild you'd like. theirs a few guys on here that are selling their trannys for relatively cheap. I think evo neil has one on for sale. might be a cheaper alternative

05CBR
09-06-2008, 05:21 PM
My 8 is having these same problems that everyone is talking about: Problems shifting into 5th, reverse gear not engaging all the time

I would like to know what the average price for repairs that everybody has experienced related to this issue?

Average price for me? Warranty covered it all.

gravvyboy
09-08-2008, 08:58 AM

Average price for me? Warranty covered it all.

Was anyone not able to do this under warranty? (car's an 03)

littlejap33
09-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Bg snychro is the shit man

1969MIB
09-09-2008, 02:59 PM
i called southcoast,they said it is under warranty and to bring it in on monday.i live in San Diego though aand would have to drive it all the way up there and leave it for a couple days.Will they care about the turboback i have on my car?It has a cat? That and a walbro is all i have done to it.

I just towed my white IX up there for tranny problems and I'm in San Diego. Currently driving around in a rental. Could be worse, my friend!

scumdog
09-12-2008, 10:53 AM

HAHA!! southern comfort mitsu!!! lol

ev0ninerr
09-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Not Southern Colorado Mitsu? He must be ballin' just to get it checked that far away!

juicyjusee
11-02-2008, 03:10 AM
anybody get their syncro done at SCM? my 5th gear syncro is out and i need to get it replaced

baylorar
11-03-2008, 08:31 AM
anybody get their syncro done at SCM? my 5th gear syncro is out and i need to get it replaced

lol did you read the thread? or just post.