PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got their powdercoated at SolCal?

The0ne
09-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Just curious what you paid for your powercoated wheels at SolCal Mitsu. Please PM the price breakdown if you bought yours there and let me know if it's just the rims or the entire wheel, including the tires. Appreciate your responses/PM.

Andrew,

raulsevo123
09-19-2008, 06:23 PM
i saw ur other thread u paid way 2 much bro. but then again what do u expect from a dealer

boostinbyyou
09-19-2008, 07:14 PM
i get em for 65 a wheel.......

Skiracer
09-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I guess you didn't negotiate very well...

boostinbyyou
09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
wow i just read the other thread.....

almost 1000 for the set.....

oh my....

The0ne
09-19-2008, 07:29 PM
it's was late at night and still had to drive 2 hours back down here so I let my guard down. I don't know have all the details included in the price but so far my calls have been ignored all day. Maybe Sam's busy. Going to call and talk with the manager before heading up tomorrow. Don't want to waste the drive there.

To be honest, I let my guard down because of Sam's reputation here. I'm sure he has a reason but until I get a call I won't know for sure.

Edit:

just talked to Sam. I really appreciated honest non-flaming response on this issue. I'm a "fan" of rally but not an enthusiast. $750 for dismount, coat and labor (ecu reflash, sensor adjustments, etc.). I am really curious if any of you have had the same thing done and what your cost is. The reason I'm asking is Steve from the parts department told me different than what Sam has just explained to me. To Steve it should have just been the coat plus labor if I used my own rims. Base on what I've read on this forum and others it is the price is very much more expensive. Any info you guys can provide for the same type of service would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sam Smash
09-19-2008, 07:47 PM
You buy a car so far back of Invoice and this is the Thanks I get.

Our dead cost is $650 after tech is paid and after the powder coat shop gets their $$. We marked it up to $750, normal price for this is $895.00

God forbid we make any of our losses back.

Smash taken away

I am sure that if you did the work yourself you might have saved a little. Take into consideration that we have it ready in stock and will take about 1 hr to install. How soon do you think you would have gotten the wheels if you powder coated them yourself???

soontobe
09-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Yikes, i dont even wanna see where this thread goes...I have read mass reviews of sams work and this is the only one that goes negative. Id say maybe you did get taken, but the fact is you need to research stuff before acting. Also he is correct, if you were to get this done yourself, you still have to get all the dismounts and remounts taken care of plus the car will be down if you dont have a backup set of wheels, you did pay a lot, but you also have to factor in the convenience of not having to worry about anything.

Thats just my thoughts... - RJ

seph09
09-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Yikes, i dont even wanna see where this thread goes...I have read mass reviews of sams work and this is the only one that goes negative. Id say maybe you did get taken, but the fact is you need to research stuff before acting. Also he is correct, if you were to get this done yourself, you still have to get all the dismounts and remounts taken care of plus the car will be down if you dont have a backup set of wheels, you did pay a lot, but you also have to factor in the convenience of not having to worry about anything.

Thats just my thoughts... - RJ

+1 I'm sure SAM will take care of things for you (especially in the finance room NO TRICKS!!!), they do deserve to make some money...

relax, your already saving thousands on the car bro!!!

fuleinjection23
09-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Im guessing at the rate were going the automotive world it will be illegal to make a profit on anything. Every one in the industry will GO BANKRUPT and we can thank all the consumers that killed the market and hobby for saving a buck or two

hope it dose not happen cus we all need to eat and pay bills.... but you know it only cost 9 bucks for those Jordan's you got on your feet but no one complains to nike about making to much money..... .... just my two cents

Sam Smash
09-20-2008, 11:14 AM
We lose $2500 per car, then we make up $100 on this deal for the wheels. What a joke. There really shouldn't be any negative feedback regarding this. I save you guys money on the cars, parts, and service. I also brought in aftermarket parts to the dealer that we sell discounted, install discounted and warranty our work. What more do you want?? I did show our profit margin on the deal. He calls wanting a detailed break down on the parts and labor. Here is the break down, $895 normal cost, $750 for you to make the deal. Done.............I am not going to list, $0.05 for valve stems, cost of shipping wheels, cost of mount, dismount, new sensors, flashing ecu, etc etc etc....

Too much headache and hard work for a mini deal that isn't appreciated.

Sxhawnn
09-20-2008, 11:30 AM
^^ damn how do you guys stay in business losing 2500 dollars a car?

MinusPrevious
09-20-2008, 11:54 AM
^^ damn how do you guys stay in business losing 2500 dollars a car?

They may sell cars at low margin but its Service & Parts that keeps any dealership afloat

SOUTHCOASTPARTS
09-20-2008, 12:28 PM
+1 on the parts Dept.

raulsevo123
09-20-2008, 12:35 PM
i work @ a dealer the 1st thing they look @ when closing the doors on a dealer is car sales

ntwaddel
09-20-2008, 02:08 PM
You buy a car so far back of Invoice and this is the Thanks I get.

Our dead cost is $650 after tech is paid and after the powder coat shop gets their $$. We marked it up to $750, normal price for this is $895.00

God forbid we make any of our losses back.

Smash taken away

I am sure that if you did the work yourself you might have saved a little. Take into consideration that we have it ready in stock and will take about 1 hr to install. How soon do you think you would have gotten the wheels if you powder coated them yourself???

come on, you guys arent supposed to ACTUALLY make any money.Â* I thought SCM was non profit :) :uglystupid2:

awdlancer
09-20-2008, 02:41 PM
+1 lol

DruMMinStUd06
09-20-2008, 03:04 PM
So where's SolCal Mitsu located?

white9
09-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Why you think Sam smashes so much ^^ He's always pushing a number of cars out every month to make his money back. The more cars, the more people at the Parts Dept.... Which means more $$$.. Business ^^ all Business.

The0ne
09-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Take it easy. Like I said, my surprise is from not having done my research before getting into the deal. It was just made worse by you being busy and me not getting an answer all day long from anyone at SolCal. I didn't blame anyone except myself. It was late, I should have waited to look into it more. I'm a fan, not an enthusiast so I don't know what pricing are out there. And in my initial search I came across people who had theirs done for much less. This doesn't mean SolCal isn't justified in their price but it just means I SHOULD find out why it is costing a bit more.

You gave me a great deal and stayed late to get the sale done. I really do appreciated it. I was very tire, and in fact so tire I just ask your finance guy just to rush through the paperwork so I would be able to drive back home safely. That is why I said it was my mistake to let my guard down; and that doesn't mean that you or SolCal has screwed me, it means I screwed myself because I should be paying attention on such a large purchase. So again, thanks for staying late and helping me get the car. Sorry if this made you feel sour but I had the right to question.

I wouldn't be asking around if I knew what was going on. Surely anyone in their right mind would not like reading about others paying $400 while you're getting charge for twice as much with no details as to why. As for the price breakdown, I don't expect every single little piece to be priced out. I just like to know what is going towards the price. I could really care less how much it cost because I can afford it. But if I don't feel comfortable then I like to know why. There is nothing wrong in this reasoning.

Now if someone ask me for pricing it be a different story because part of my job is to know how much a part cost, how much time it takes to order, how much time for labor or work to be done on the part, etc. I help companies become more efficient and cost effective through strict processes, policies and procedures. I can't help if I'm asking questions that are "normal" and reasonable for me; and I can't expect the same of others to the extent of what I am capable of doing. But a "no answer" is not acceptable.

Aside from this subject, SolCal is still a good dealer for me to deal business with. I wouldn't deal with any of the Mitsubishi dealers here in town and would rather drive the hours to SolCal to get whatever services I need. I don't doubt for one minute that Sam or anyone at the dealership would be screwing many poeple base on what I've learned about their reputation.

And while I don't know the entire car business side of sales, I do know some dealerships would rather sell and sell so they could get incentives, priorities, new model replacements, etc. from the manufacturer. This is also an advantage to the dealership even though they aren't making money off of the sales. A car is not an investment but the services after purchasing one is, whether that's with the dealership, manufacturer or 3rd party shops.

Sorry if you are sour Sam but I don't see a reason for me to apologize at all. I had a valid and reasonable question even though I knew nothing could be done about it because of the contract. I didn't come off being upset or angry but more concern because of lack of details.

boostinbyyou
09-21-2008, 11:40 AM
its all good....

nobody takes anything to the a$$ here.....lol

bump for steve in parts.....

timemasheen
09-21-2008, 11:50 AM
car jack- $129.99

spray paint - acrylic enamel- $5.49 per can

painter's tape- 5.99

the satisfaction of saving a shitload of money and having it look powdercoated?? -- PRICELESS!!

soontobe
09-21-2008, 04:33 PM
dont spray paint wheels, it chips and looks like crap especially on such a nice car such as an evo...dont be cheap!!!

PUNISHER
09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
got mine done for 65 a wheel at Powdercraft.

DruMMinStUd06
09-22-2008, 12:15 PM
car jack- $129.99

spray paint - acrylic enamel- $5.49 per can

painter's tape- 5.99

the satisfaction of saving a shitload of money and having it look powdercoated?? -- PRICELESS!!

Having to redo it because spray cans suck = PITA

Sxhawnn
09-22-2008, 06:26 PM
^^taking years of your damn life smelling that crap is a PITA. I've sprayed wheels once and will never do it again. And yes it did chip and look like shit. the slightest brush against nething and it begins to chip and look like shit.

Massimo Power
09-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I sprayed mine... been to a track day.. and so far its been more than good... but i know how to paint.. :)

and i can get wheels powdercoated for around $150 a set.. depending on size and color.

fastkevin
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
I sprayed mine... been to a track day.. and so far its been more than good... but i know how to paint.. :)

and i can get wheels powdercoated for around $150 a set.. depending on size and color.

Depending on size? Never heard that one before. I pay the same amount no matter what size or width they are.

EvoBullet06
10-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Anyone who thinks that a dealer is losing money on a car even if they sell the car $1000 back of invoice is crazy. I use to work for a dealership, and the invoice is not there profit in the car, it's the profit after the car is built and shipped. If losing money was true, not even service and parts could hold up the cost of running a dealer and paying everyone's paycheck. Yeah, desk man 10k and up minimum, the owner and all the officers on the board, all the service, and parts managers, advertising, law suits, come on!!!! Don't get sucked into their lies.

(This is all dealerships, not geared toward any specific one).

South Coast is bomb, the owner worked the deal personally for me on the 2 cars I bought from them. Who is Sam? I've never seen him, and I've been their plenty of times...

phenaly
10-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Deleted message.