PDA

View Full Version : EVO X BOV Choice

fusionofideas
09-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I wanted to throw out the question, What would be a good BOV Choice. I hear synapse has a really good one that holds pressure. I have heard that the HKS looses pressure. I wanted to see if anyone has installed either of these and if so have you been able to obtain measurable results? ie...not just that it sounds bad ass. I am leaning towards the synapse but any solid input would be appreciated. I also heard that if you modify the stock BOV on the X that it is not a good idea. Thanks for the suggestions.

Massimo Power
09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Stock

fusionofideas
09-25-2008, 01:05 PM
any explanation on that the bOV is a new concept to me. I understand that you want to be able to maintain as much boost as possible. Are you saying that a stock unit can hold more than an aftermarket??? thanks

storm_trooper
09-25-2008, 04:09 PM
i think what he is getting at, that you really dont need one unless you are going for a lot of hp, meaning bigger turbo and inter cooler. plus on the X the bov reciruculates back into the intake track before going into the turbo, your car stock is tuned to accept that air being released back into the intake. and if you slap on an Aftermarket bov, you can screw up your idle and some other stuff. best thing its, if you REALLY need the sound, go complete stage 2, get one, and get tuned so your car can run with one. please anyone step in and correct me if im wrong

ASIXMRSE
09-25-2008, 04:14 PM
basically.... if it aint broke, don't fix it. The stock unit works more than well enough, so not only are you saving yourself money since you dont need to buy some flashy aftermarket BOV, but you are also helping keep cops off your ass. For what you need it to do, your stock unit is always going to work well for you... until you get into higher HP applications.

Mike W
09-26-2008, 06:09 PM
You _need_ to change your BOV when it is leaking. Your stock BOV will hold over 30psi. By smooshing it in a vice you can get it to hold a little more.

An aftermarket BOV would only make a sharper blow off noise. Usually they actually flow less, that is what makes it loud. Blow off all your boost through a 10ft hole and it wont make any noise. Blow that same volume of air through a 1/2" hole and it makes a super dooper noise that makes high school boys all wet (not that there is anything wrong with that for you guys that are into impressing high school boys, it's your gig, who am I to judge) So dude gets a BOV with a tight hole and hears his BOV all loud and thinks he is faster. Not.

Plus to get the car to run right you need to blow it back in. An EVO X has the return pretty far from the filter so you really wont hear it. The only way to get it loud is to blow it out. The only way to get it to run OK blowing it out is to have it adjuster super tight. At that point the cool noise you are impressing the high school boys with is actually compressor surge. That ch-ch-choo sound is air being forced back out past the incoming air in the compressor wheel. That is hard on the turbo.

Early EVO 8s, 3KGTs, 2G Eclipses, Porsches, Volvos and other cars came with soft spring plastic BOVs and an upgrade was early in the sequence of things. You have an EVOX and dont need that.

Long story short - No BOV upgrade for you.

Mike W

fastkevin
09-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Blow that same volume of air through a 1/2" hole and it makes a super dooper noise that makes high school boys all wet (not that there is anything wrong with that for you guys that are into impressing high school boys, it's your gig, who am I to judge)

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was (and the operative word here is was) about ready to eat dinner.

christoph562
09-30-2008, 11:35 PM
You _need_ to change your BOV when it is leaking. Your stock BOV will hold over 30psi. By smooshing it in a vice you can get it to hold a little more.

An aftermarket BOV would only make a sharper blow off noise. Usually they actually flow less, that is what makes it loud. Blow off all your boost through a 10ft hole and it wont make any noise. Blow that same volume of air through a 1/2" hole and it makes a super dooper noise that makes high school boys all wet (not that there is anything wrong with that for you guys that are into impressing high school boys, it's your gig, who am I to judge) So dude gets a BOV with a tight hole and hears his BOV all loud and thinks he is faster. Not.

Plus to get the car to run right you need to blow it back in. An EVO X has the return pretty far from the filter so you really wont hear it. The only way to get it loud is to blow it out. The only way to get it to run OK blowing it out is to have it adjuster super tight. At that point the cool noise you are impressing the high school boys with is actually compressor surge. That ch-ch-choo sound is air being forced back out past the incoming air in the compressor wheel. That is hard on the turbo.

Early EVO 8s, 3KGTs, 2G Eclipses, Porsches, Volvos and other cars came with soft spring plastic BOVs and an upgrade was early in the sequence of things. You have an EVOX and dont need that.

Long story short - No BOV upgrade for you.

Mike W

well said.

the stock bov is really all you need.

unless, like mike said, you like making school boys wet