PDA

View Full Version : Things I observed on the EVO X after 2 days

NRG
10-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I am listing a few things I have noticed after driving the car for 2 days and it would be much appreciated if you guys who are experiencing the same things please comment.

1. The car takes longer to crank over than previous EVO 8,9.... Regardless if its cold or not...
2. When you sit there parked and idling for 5 minutes, and then if you turn on the AC, it will almost stall. I am talking literally the car will shake as going into the motion of stalling.
3. I am still breaking it in so I didn't floor it or anything but it seems that my 9 was more responsive on the throttle.

All in all my review "so far" is that this car drives like a 6 cyclinder on the freeway as the power is so linear. The car is a bit soft in terms of clutch pedal pressure and gear shift feeling. Again my 9 was very notchy (which I like) while changing gears and the clutch pedal is much stiffer than the X.

What do you guys think?

jdmjunkiee
10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
amen

1WkdEvo
10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice objective findings

Mike W
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Stock they are nothing wonderful, pretty much the same power as a 9 and more weight. With an exhaust and intake you are looking at ~40 more HP, then it starts to get fun. Add a tune and another ~30 hp and you will forget your 9.

I have not noticed the longer start thing or the stiffer clutch pedal. Although the same clutch new and with a bunch of miles will feel totally different. Xs have essentially the same clutch as the 8/9. The main difference is a better clip/mousetrap on the pull release bearing assy.

Mike W

evoRS05
10-01-2008, 08:45 PM
sounds like you're having the idling issue, which the factory reflash will take care of.

NRG
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
sounds like you're having the idling issue, which the factory reflash will take care of.

and you would think that if I picked it up 2 days ago they would have been reflashed already.....guess not...

kimber_94806
10-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Congrats Roy on the new car. Thought you were leaning on an M3?

Mike W
10-01-2008, 08:55 PM
A shop/tuner with ECUTeK can check what version map you have with out actually flashing it. We can just connect to it and read the version. 00, 01, 02...

Mike W

EvO9marine
10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
MY x HAD THE SAME ISSUE. the longer starting is true. my IX would crank over quicker. but the X handles alot better than the IX. its the shiznit!!!

evoRS05
10-01-2008, 09:00 PM

and you would think that if I picked it up 2 days ago they would have been reflashed already.....guess not...

most likely not, but you can always get it done. it's under warranty.

NRG
10-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Congrats Roy on the new car. Thought you were leaning on an M3?

The bank wouldn't finance me for such a huge loan.......sigh.......

NRG
10-01-2008, 10:33 PM
A shop/tuner with ECUTeK can check what version map you have with out actually flashing it. We can just connect to it and read the version. 00, 01, 02...

Mike W

I see, I will probably do that or i might just get a tune anyways...I can't keep this car stock for long.....

AaronI1
10-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Stock they are nothing wonderful, pretty much the same power as a 9 and more weight. With an exhaust and intake you are looking at ~40 more HP, then it starts to get fun. Add a tune and another ~30 hp and you will forget your 9.

I have not noticed the longer start thing or the stiffer clutch pedal. Although the same clutch new and with a bunch of miles will feel totally different. Xs have essentially the same clutch as the 8/9. The main difference is a better clip/mousetrap on the pull release bearing assy.

Mike W

Like what Mike said dude.Â* My car feels unbelievable after Mike and RRE hooked it up.Â* I don't miss my IX at all.

fastkevin
10-02-2008, 12:23 AM
I am listing a few things I have noticed after driving the car for 2 days and it would be much appreciated if you guys who are experiencing the same things please comment.

1. The car takes longer to crank over than previous EVO 8,9.... Regardless if its cold or not...
2. When you sit there parked and idling for 5 minutes, and then if you turn on the AC, it will almost stall. I am talking literally the car will shake as going into the motion of stalling.
3. I am still breaking it in so I didn't floor it or anything but it seems that my 9 was more responsive on the throttle.

All in all my review "so far" is that this car drives like a 6 cyclinder on the freeway as the power is so linear. The car is a bit soft in terms of clutch pedal pressure and gear shift feeling. Again my 9 was very notchy (which I like) while changing gears and the clutch pedal is much stiffer than the X.

What do you guys think?

I've had my car for a couple of weeks, and it hasn't exibited any of what you've reported. Furthermore, it's quicker to 60mph than my 9 was (9 had 400miles on the odo at the time I tested, and the 10 had 63) by 3/10 of a second, and was tested on the same gip
The symptoms you talk about are what could be a result of an air leak. Not saying you have one, but if you did, it could do the same thing

Blaze
10-02-2008, 07:38 AM
I would contribute over all positive feed back, but I have some negative as well.

POSITIVE
- Big improvement on the interior. Not it's not a BMW, but if it was, we'd all be complaining about the weight gains.
- $ : Power Gain ratio. People are hitting mid 300s or better without cams. Simple bolt ons make big gains.
- Interior/Exterior. It's very nice to have options and the over all Euro look is kinder on the eyes.

NEGATIVE
- The side mirrors are huge and make so much noise that you think your window is down a crack.
- Info button (and really everything requires you to reach uncomfortably. Racing seats/harnesses are going to make changing the climate control and other items difficult to impossible.
- Boost taper. Are they engineered with a boost leak or was the car designed with sequential turbos and the top end turbo was not shipped with the car?
- Vision. The size of the car is going to take some getting used to. It's very hard to see behind you when backing up. I felt the 8s and 9s had better 360 visibility.

EVO Neil
10-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I guess that means you've got a X?? MR??

I would contribute over all positive feed back, but I have some negative as well.

POSITIVE
- Big improvement on the interior. Not it's not a BMW, but if it was, we'd all be complaining about the weight gains.
- $ : Power Gain ratio. People are hitting mid 300s or better without cams. Simple bolt ons make big gains.
- Interior/Exterior. It's very nice to have options and the over all Euro look is kinder on the eyes.

NEGATIVE
- The side mirrors are huge and make so much noise that you think your window is down a crack.
- Info button (and really everything requires you to reach uncomfortably. Racing seats/harnesses are going to make changing the climate control and other items difficult to impossible.
- Boost taper. Are they engineered with a boost leak or was the car designed with sequential turbos and the top end turbo was not shipped with the car?
- Vision. The size of the car is going to take some getting used to. It's very hard to see behind you when backing up. I felt the 8s and 9s had better 360 visibility.

NRG
10-02-2008, 08:17 AM

POSITIVE

NEGATIVE

I completely agree about backing up...I am not able to see well when I turn my head back. I have noticed the Recaros are higher up on the tip than my IX. Also the rear window seems to be smaller (dunno if it actually is) thus less visibility.

fastkevin
10-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Break the habit of turing yor head around, and just use your mirrors. Works just fine.
You could have a Lambo Countach, and have to open your door and sit on it to back up :tickedoff:

fastkevin
10-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Mike's tuning my X right now, and today I went up there to check it out. Looking at the boost graph, I thought he had installed a MBC. Seemed to me the boost holds a lot longer than my 9 did, and when it does taper off, it does so gradually. Same kinda deal with the power. It peaks (IIRC) just about 5k, and seriously holds it all the way to red line. I don't remember what exactly my 9's graph looked like, but I remember needing to shift way before redline because it fell off the power.
BTW- my 10 is making the same power (and it's not finished being tuned) as my 9 did, but the 10's doing it with about $3k less in mods. A simple tune AEM intake, and exhaust, compared to the 9, which had injectors, fuel pump, cams, MBC, exhaust, tune, rail, and filter. I'm told the new Cos. cams are good for another 40 hp. On race gas or E85, these things should easily be good for 400hp (TO THE FREAKIN GROUND), with the only internal mod being the cams. This is ridiculous :-o

NRG
10-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Break the habit of turing yor head around, and just use your mirrors. Works just fine.
You could have a Lambo Countach, and have to open your door and sit on it to back up :tickedoff:

Word of advice, never backup only with mirrors....Thats where mishaps happens.

fastkevin
10-03-2008, 12:31 AM

Word of advice, never backup only with mirrors....Thats where mishaps happens.

:uglystupid2: :2funny:
Keep practicing... maybe you'll get it one day.
I'm one of the millions of vehicle owners who's vehicle doesn't have the rear visibility to look out the back window. I've been using my mirrors to back that thing up for 5 years now, did it with the family camper-van when I was 16, and also when I owned a motorhome.
You could always buy a back-up camera :grin:

NRG
10-03-2008, 08:07 AM
^^I don't think you got my point. It's not that I WANT to turn my head to backup, its the fact that it is much safer because using just the mirrors, you have multiple blind spots that you do not see if a pedestrian is walking by and sometimes kids running around.

If you don't have a visibility looking back, thats another story.

strat10
10-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I had two people in the back seat yesterday, and they said everytime they looked back they thought someone was right on my ass, because of the wing..hehe

gt40
10-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Congrats roy on the new car. Â*The wifey likes her new MR X, too. Â*She brought up visibility issues, especially the front mirrors creating a giant blind spot. Â*Other than that sort of thing she really likes the car and I have to say I enjoy driving it although I like my VIII too and keeping it.

For me, I really like the way the X flys under the radar so to speak. It is a LOT less of a high profile car with the cops etc and that is a nice surprise. People don't look at you the same way as with the VIII's and IX's and less boy racer comments etc. The look of the X, love it or hate it is much more mainstream and doesn't draw as much attention...

NRG
10-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Congrats roy on the new car. The wifey likes her new MR X, too. She brought up visibility issues, especially the front mirrors creating a giant blind spot. Other than that sort of thing she really likes the car and I have to say I enjoy driving it although I like my VIII too and keeping it.

For me, I really like the way the X flys under the radar so to speak. It is a LOT less of a high profile car with the cops etc and that is a nice surprise. People don't look at you the same way as with the VIII's and IX's and less boy racer comments etc. The look of the X, love it or hate it is much more mainstream and doesn't draw as much attention...

Nice, how do you like the SST feeling? I debated over that and still decided to stick to manual...

EVO Neil
10-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Congrats roy on the new car. The wifey likes her new MR X, too. She brought up visibility issues, especially the front mirrors creating a giant blind spot. Other than that sort of thing she really likes the car and I have to say I enjoy driving it although I like my VIII too and keeping it.

Nice, how do you like the SST feeling? I debated over that and still decided to stick to manual...

SST is a manual...

NRG
10-03-2008, 09:13 AM

SST is a manual...

I didn't mean it literally in that way...I meant how does the up shift down shift feel/response versus traditional H-patten shift...

EVO Neil
10-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I didn't mean it literally in that way...I meant how does the up shift down shift feel/response versus traditional H-patten shift...

I figured you did but others that may not know will say it's an automatic or see someone else say it is and believe them. Techincally, it's an automated manual

NRG
10-03-2008, 09:28 AM
^^From what I know, you can drive 3 different ways (correct me if I am wrong)? Fully auto and let the ECU shift, SST using the knob and SST with the steering paddle?

gt40
10-03-2008, 09:35 AM

I really was impressed more than I expected to. The way it does rev matching downshifts as you enter a corner without upsetting the balance is awesome. They got it pretty darn close to perfect. I don't like the reset process where the computer takes a second when you shut the car off to put the tranny in the right mode for startup before the car shuts off and the slight delay to go into reverse. Minor gripes all in all. Power delivery in sport mode is more like a traditional manual where it generally just goes without downshifting and getting busy before accelerating like most autos. In supersport, it shifts at redline and allows you to bump the rev limiter until you manual shift just like a regular manual. You can go fast in corners with this auto/manual, without upsetting the balance, unlike regular autos...

NRG
10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
^^Man, it would be fun to drive without clutching down.......

tanK
10-03-2008, 09:56 AM
You bought an evo X Roy??

NRG
10-03-2008, 10:05 AM
You bought an evo X Roy??

Yeah, I went to BMW to get the M3 but didn't qualify to get the loan........

tanK
10-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Damn that sucks... must be the credit crisis huh? Well its good to hear you're back in another evo (#3 right?) What color??

NRG
10-03-2008, 10:09 AM
^^WW and yeah this is my 3rd EVO and before the EVOs, I had a Galant.

How's your car doing?

tanK
10-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Running strong so far.. wow maybe I'll see a X on the westside for once!

NRG
10-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Other things that I have found about the X

1. When any power consumption unit kicks in for example the AC or fan, your headlights WILL dim...I personally hate that...I don't think that should be the case when everything is factory.Â* If you put in an aftermarket stereo system then yes I would except that..Â* Guess I should just put in an audio capacitor to fix this problem...

2. Going in reverse gear stalls much easier than the VIII and IX.Â* Ironically, getting off the line from 1st is easier than the VIII and IX.

3. The engine makes lots more ticking noises than the 4G63.....I am speaking when the car is just sitting there on idle.

4. I too experienced the idle issue that everyone has already found out... During idle sitting at a light, the rpm would go crazy up and down between 500 rpm and 1000rpm.Â* I will get a tune so this wouldn't pose a problem long...

I will report more findings when I find them.....

strat10
10-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I also noticed the idle issue. What tune fixes this?

Mike W
10-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I think the second factory reflash was suppposed to fix idle stuff. I have seen no power differences between the 1st reflash and second reflash. I have run them on the dyno flashing them back and firth between the 1st and 2nd and no difference. The original version 00 flash in the early cars was junk rich slow though.

Also open unprotected filters play havoc with the idle.

Mike W

strat10
10-06-2008, 08:08 AM
I just got the car this month. It actually happened again last night. It was bouncing the Tach around 500 to 800, I thought it was going to die.

NRG
10-06-2008, 08:11 AM
I just got the car this month. It actually happened again last night. It was bouncing the Tach around 500 to 800, I thought it was going to die.

Don't worry about it, just get a tune from RRE...Meanwhile when that does happen, just step on the gas pedal a tiny bit so it won't die....

strat10
10-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Actually, headed up there this week for the AEM air cleaner, so not to worried. That same thing used to happen to my Mini.

NRG
10-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I now know why reverse is easier to stall...After watching the Mitsubishi service training video, I learn that there is no dedicated reverse gear like the ones in IX and VIII instead it is using the 1st and 3rd gear rotation to put it in reverse drive therefore making it more prone to stall if you drive like you did with a IX or VIII.

Learn something new everyday....