PDA

View Full Version : Be-lieve it!!

fastkevin
10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah...what they say is true. You can get equal amount of power out of a 10 with half the parts and work as you need on a 9. My car + RRE and a tune, Stealth exhaust, and the AEM intake = 327hp to the ground. My 9 took RRE, a tune, cams, fuel pump, injectors, exhaust, MBC, rail, and a filter to get roughly the same power (actually aÂ* little less). I had already came to the conclusion that the 10 is more fun to drive, handles better than my 9 did (might not be fair, as my 9 had some suspension work done right off the bat, so I don't really remember how it was stock), and was cheaper. With race gas and a new tune, my nine was up above 370hp, and me intelligently thinks with cams and race gas, the 10 would be well north of 400hp.
Never been so happy with car purchase before.

AaronI1
10-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Congrats Kevin, modded X's are a blast to drive.

How much was your tune? Did you increase the boost?

RRE's ECUTek tune by Mike is 750. pricey but worth it

Evo_Hustler
10-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Evo x are deffinately very impressive... My buddy with his 100% stock X vs my 100% stock IX went at it 20mph roll to about 148, I took him by half a car all the way... Just recently he got catback, test pipe, downpipe, boost controller ( holds 20 psi),& drop in filter with stock tune. We went at it again my IX still 100% stock, & let me tell u that X pulled!!!

fusionchicken
10-07-2008, 03:57 AM
i was under the impression a stock IX would pull the ever living shit out of a stock X on a roll?

but yea the X is def. very responsive to mods....aaron can i get a ride in yours lol

don't have doubts... evo ix's are the best evos ever made

Congrats Kevin!

lol did u check the thread where the X made freakin 380whp/360wtq with bolt-ons and cams? wtf that's insane

that's the only X that made that power so far though if i'm not mistaken

viciouz
10-07-2008, 08:03 AM
750 eh?

I am assuming it comes with the ECUtek and is tuned on the dyno? Correct? No street tuning.

fusionofideas
10-07-2008, 05:41 PM
X is the best, I have AEM Intake, RRE Turbo back, and someone esles MAP and I am at 320, Getting the final tune tomorrow and will hopefully pull out some more HP with MIKE the tunning animal

AaronI1
10-07-2008, 06:07 PM
i was under the impression a stock IX would pull the ever living shit out of a stock X on a roll?

but yea the X is def. very responsive to mods....aaron can i get a ride in yours lol

for sure Christian, hit me up.

750 eh?

I am assuming it comes with the ECUtek and is tuned on the dyno? Correct? No street tuning.

yes, tuned on the Dyno.

Mike W
10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
$750 is pretty hard to swallow for just a flash + tune! :-o
WOW, I thought we were in a recession!

Hard for you to swallow... me too. Your $750 breaks down like this:

$300 goes to ECUTek. They liken it to buying a tuning box or gizmo, It's a bunch of money but you see from progress with the free stuff it is a lot of work.

That leaves me with $450 for dyno time and tuning time. So far EVERY X has been totally different. I am waiting for the day when I see a car with the same mods, pick a rocking tune from another car with the same mods and load it up, make a glory pull and count the cash. Quite the opposite Mr Mister.

The quickest I have tuned a X with ECUTeK has been 4 hours. Most are 6 hours and some 8 hours. I dont give up easy. Usual AWD dyno time runs about $125/hr. I can think of lots of ways to make better money. Throw your rocks if you must, just not at me.

On the other hand $750 for a 30 to 60 hp gain isnt too bad. Better bang for the buck than an intercooler and piping.

Mike W

fastkevin
10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Yeah.. I'm amazed at how much easier it is to get power out of them. I remember at the beginning, word came down that because of what, I can't remember (aluminum block, head design...?) they apparently aren't gonna be able to handle the high-hp that some of the prior gen Evo's have. If the ease of getting power out of the new motor is linear, they'll find the limit pretty quickly, and then what are they gonna do? Could be interesting to see some of the "solutions".

Mister
11-05-2008, 02:43 PM
$750 is pretty hard to swallow for just a flash + tune! :-o
WOW, I thought we were in a recession!

Hard for you to swallow... me too. Your $750 breaks down like this:

$300 goes to ECUTek. They liken it to buying a tuning box or gizmo, It's a bunch of money but you see from progress with the free stuff it is a lot of work.

That leaves me with $450 for dyno time and tuning time. So far EVERY X has been totally different. I am waiting for the day when I see a car with the same mods, pick a rocking tune from another car with the same mods and load it up, make a glory pull and count the cash. Quite the opposite Mr Mister.

The quickest I have tuned a X with ECUTeK has been 4 hours. Most are 6 hours and some 8 hours. I dont give up easy. Usual AWD dyno time runs about $125/hr. I can think of lots of ways to make better money. Throw your rocks if you must, just not at me.

On the other hand $750 for a 30 to 60 hp gain isnt too bad. Better bang for the buck than an intercooler and piping.

Mike W

Thanks for breaking it down Mike.
Didn't know it was as involved as a 6-8 hour tune.
Thats basically a whole day of work. Crazy.

On another note, I hear that if one wants to upgrade the cams in their X, the motor has to come out for ease of installation. I can't believe to think how much the install labor for that would be. Sometimes I'm happy that I still have an VIII, but some days, the X sounds very appealing!

blkside
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Kevin just with 100 oct and the milder of the HP numbers (stuck with the better power curve) mikes has me at 367. We were well into 375+ but it wasnt as smooth. With cams I am positive you will get 400 with the more aggressive tuning.

Call me or come by and we can hang out... matter of fact ygpm in 2 mins...

As for the haters dont get upset. I use to have a 9 also and I can tell you this car is better in all aspects. Power to weight ratio is irrelevant seeing 62% of america is overweight. Wanna be fast go to Jenny Craig. This shit has gone on forever... 8 guys said the 9 guys dont have a real evo and now the 9 guys are saying the 10s dont. Well one of you 9 guys with an exhaust and tune and whatever suspension you care to run go out to SOW CCW and run a 1:24... then come back to this thread....

fastkevin
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I hear that if one wants to upgrade the cams in their X, the motor has to come out for ease of installation. I can't believe to think how much the install labor for that would be.

I wasn't told that.. Why would that be the case? Same architecture, just different block material, and the turbo's on the other side. I'll double check, but I (wishfully :'() doubt it

Mike W
11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
We are charging $350 to install EVO X cams. Not gonna make much money on the first few installs but that is our problem not yours. We need to get it down to something affordable. That is our responsability, to find the short cut, make the special tool, what ever it takes.

Mike W

leaveit2bevo
11-07-2008, 04:45 PM
We are charging $350 to install EVO X cams. Not gonna make much money on the first few installs but that is our problem not yours. We need to get it down to something affordable. That is our responsability, to find the short cut, make the special tool, what ever it takes.

Mike W

so does it require moving the engine around?

Mike W
11-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Undoing the motor mounts yes. With the mounts undone the engine moves. You need to jockey it around some to get to timing cover bolts, but nothing close to what I would call the necessity of pulling the motor.

Mike W

1WkdEvo
12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
The thing is how much power do you think you can put on ur block with out it going out? That's were the 9s get you..

How do we know that's where the IX's "get " the X's? We don't know yet because nobody has blown one simply from power output. I have seen many in excess of 450 with no issues yet and a couple over 500 on stock block with no issue yet, so at this point I can only surmise that the stock 4b11 can take the same basic 500 DJ based whp that a IX can without significant alterations/improvements to the bottom end.

As I am parting out my IX to get a X and as I tend to go overboard on mods, I am pretty sure that I can test this theory by May of next year, though I am fairly certain that someone else in Socal will eclipse that mark first

blkside
12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Ok let me clarify this so its not misconstrued. Im in no 9 vs 10 war. I had a 9 that was on 100 and was very close. This is a response to apparently "an expert in every field" cause every thread you are in your smashing someones work. My 10 makes 370 on a consevative tune. We were at 380 and the curve wasnt as linear as we wanted yet had no issues to push it further. By all means continue posting about great numbers of E85 ... As for the Iron versus Aluminum block well lets see....Â* Keep talking and again youll be wrong

Iron blocks are strong but Aluminum is plenty strong and much LIGHTER

While the chassis was under the Sawzall, forced induction wizard Kenny Duttweiler was busy building a 525 cubic inch, all-aluminum big block. Inside the Ford Racing 460 aluminum block is a Crower reciprocating assembly, JE forged flat-top pistons, and a .580/.614 inch lift Crane hydraulic roller camshaft. Trick Flow ported a set of its A460 aluminum heads, and Mr. Duttweiler merged a Hogan EFI sheetmetal intake, DFI fuel injection, and a Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger into a killer induction system. On the dyno with 15 pounds of boost, the 525 made 958 horsepower and 863 foot-pounds of torque. Add another 5 pounds of boost, says Kenny, and you're looking at 1,000 horsepower.

gt40
12-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I have an 8 and a 10 and like both.Â*
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10080/normal_2evo.jpg

They are so different its scary.Â* My 8 is a silly pure fast car 550whp+giant stoptechs+ muellerized. Â*It out handles, accelerates, stops and just plain goes faster. Â*The MR X is stock and civil, polite and fun. Â*Modded X's are cool just as modded 8-9's are. Â*

Its just money in the end. Â*Put some motons, 2.3 turbo head etc on an 8-9 and see how you don't think about a X except for in your mirror. Â*Put a 3076 on your X with some cams and motons and all the sudden it's silly fast too. Â*Speed just comes down to money and after "stage 1" or whatever you call it with basic exhaust mods etc. Â*The path is basically the same to build a really fast car. Â*You can watch a 1200 pound, 380whp 35 year old 914 Porsche with 275's and big brakes do 1:18's at SOW to appreciate this. Â*Which version or type of car ultimately isn't important. Â*Having fun and enjoying your car is what its all about. Â*

Enjoy your carÂ* and learn how to drive it O0

Timujin
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Any updates on this power machine?