PDA

View Full Version : Project Mu HC+ brake pad review

lznk41
10-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Here's the official website for the HC+ pads: http://www.project-mu.co.jp/e/product/hc-plus.html

Review:

For comparison reasons, i've run Type NS, B-force, and ds2500 pads on my car.

The HC+ (HyperCarbon Plus) pads outperform the previous mentioned pads by a huge margin. These pads feel like track pads when warmed up to operating temps. However, if you don't like brake squeal, these are not the pads for you. When the pads are cold, they are quiet and sloppy, so they do require a bit of warming up before seriously getting on the brake pedal. Once they're warmed up, the HC+ pads clamp down hard, but consequently, the pads squeal and squeak much more than the previous pads i've run. I cleaned out my calipers, applied the shims and applied anti-seize lubricant, but honestly, it was pointless. I don't mind the brake noise at all, but people keep telling me that there's something wrong with my brakes. It's that loud.

Other than that, the stopping power has improved. My last pads were type ns pads (which were sh1t). I will do further testing such as high speed braking, but brake pedal feel is too mushy. Obviously SS brake lines are in order. Will update as i do more testing.

-LJ

rino
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the review.

IMO the best street pad i've tried so far is the Endless Vita Nuova - mediocre brake dust, very quiet. Stopping was pretty good once warmed up, I even took it to a track day and it held up to my stage 1+ evo 8. I've gone through 2 sets and planning to get a 3rd set when some cash flows my way.

Mike W
10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the feed back! Check in again in a couple months.

Mike W

MJCT9A
10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Great review. keep us posted.

JOOTZ
10-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the review.

IMO the best street pad i've tried so far is the Endless Vita Nuova - mediocre brake dust, very quiet. Stopping was pretty good once warmed up, I even took it to a track day and it held up to my stage 1+ evo 8. I've gone through 2 sets and planning to get a 3rd set when some cash flows my way.

how much are they ?

Mike W
10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
$275 For the front ($145) and rear ($130) set.

I'll throw in some free ear plugs :-P

Mike W

CASH$ MONEY
10-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Mike... how much for front and rear installed? my evo doesn't like to slow down much :D

Mike W
10-08-2008, 02:26 AM
About $60 labor for that.

Mike W

lznk41
10-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Looks like the weather is cooling down now. Pads are still biting hard, less noisy for some reason. i dont understand why they are so loud. i bedded them in properly so i guess the problem is with the rotors. i didnt resurface them this time because they felt fine and some of my track junky friends voted against it.

I've driven my friends track prepped suby wrx, and these pads almost bite as hard as the the suby (wrx has brembo fronts and rears off an sti with ds3000 pads).

i havent gotten around to testing them for endurance, but i plan on hitting up GMR in a couple weeks. ill be giving them a thorough working.

-LJ

nck brkr
11-16-2008, 09:04 PM
nice... i need some new brake pads 2. mike do you guys sale rotars for front and rear?

Mike W
11-18-2008, 01:00 AM
We have a lot of these parts for sale:

www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm

Mike W