PDA

View Full Version : What's your smoothing set to (DJ operators)?

fastkevin
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Bumping around the "other" board last night, I came across a coupla dyno charts printed by a couple back-east tuners. Both were touting the power they were getting from their latest brainstorm... The first one I looked at, I noticed he had his smoothing set to fricken ZERO. I thought to myself, what a bull-shitter. I responded in his thread asking why he had it set to 0, and he responded that he does so, so he can better see if the car's got any running issues. Total bull-shit. The friggen line on 0 is so erratic, the whole run looks like the tires are hopping on the drums. You aren't gonna see diddly-poo. Not to mention that this particular run was a power run, not a diagnostic run, so the operator wasn't looking for any problems with the car. His mission was to simply document what ever gains this particular mod gave.
The next one I came across was from IMO, one of the top two (reputation anyway) tuners back east (mid-west O0). Same thing, but although his was set a little higher, it was still only set on 3. Once again I asked in the thread why he didn't have it set to 5, and I haven't seen a response yet. This one was a little more funny, because although the post gave the impression that time and effort were the basis for the gain, the max run was only #4. If you know dyno's, you know that you get a cold vehicle on it, get it warm, start your runs, and it'll show you the peak, right about the 4th one. You won't have an accurate base to tune off of within the first 3 runs, so to me it looks like they simply hooked up a car, and did runs until it stopped building power. I don't see how any tuning went on in that session.
To my original point: If (once again) you know DJ dynos, you know that 5 is the smoothest, and therefore the most accurate setting. The erratic bouncing all-around of the plot on the lower setting, simply gives you a false peak, which in the case of a 300hp vehicle, could be 10hp more. I dunno, as I only test bikes on mine, but with a 170hp motorcycle, a lower smoothing setting can show 5hp+ higher than it actually is. The "bouncing around" could be the same no matter how much power you're dealing with, so it'd be off by only 5hp or so no matter what, but if you're setting your smoothing low on purpose, it's a freaking lie no matter how much it's off by.
I'd be interested in what the tuners who use DJ dyno's on this board have to say about it. Maybe I'm missing something?

05cbr600
10-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Off topic but you mentioned you Dynod bikes, and Im wondering where you are located since I need to dyno my R1 with the Power Commander, also how much you charge. thanks

Back on topic....

fastkevin
10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Buena Park. Better pm me for the other info. I think that's a no-go on here. :police:

alan678
10-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Smoothing to 5 here ;)

Charlie@MFQ
11-04-2008, 05:29 AM
so basically you're complaining that your tuner/dyno operator leave the smoothing factor at ZERO ?? are you fking serious ? The reason other shops putting the smoothing max to 5 on a dildojet cause they are lazy to tune and don't want to smooth out the graph but instead using the dyno smoothing factor.

Smoothing to 5 here ;)

so you're proud to put your dynojet smoothing factor to the max which is 5.Â* :?

Mike W
11-04-2008, 05:01 PM
fastkevin's tuner uses a Dynapack which has no smoothin, just pure lovin. I think he was just looking at the other charts and had a question knowing what he knew from his bike tuning.

I usually try to post up multiple runs overlaid to show a better representation of what goes on.

MIke W

fastkevin
11-05-2008, 10:59 PM
so basically you're complaining that your tuner/dyno operator leave the smoothing factor at ZERO ?? are you fking serious ? The reason other shops putting the smoothing max to 5 on a dildojet cause they are lazy to tune and don't want to smooth out the graph but instead using the dyno smoothing factor.

Smoothing to 5 here ;)

so you're proud to put your dynojet smoothing factor to the max which is 5.Â* :?

I couldn't disagree more. They set the number low because it artificially inflates hp numbers. It's so erratic, it also hides any signs of problems with the driveline, wheel/tire etc.. Your arguement about "smoothing out" the plot is crazy. The fuggin plot is all over the place when it's set low. You can't straighten that out. FWIW, when set at 5, it'll properly show problems associated with incorrect A/F or ignition.
BTW.. I own and use a Dynojet 250i, and recieved training from DJ on it. What I wrote was covered in the training.
...but at the end of the day, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. I'm also willing to be proven wrong.
I'll put a bike up on my dyno, set it to 0 smoothing, and let you try to make the plot flat. I'll show you how to adjust A/F.
Here's my shop #: 714-521-2420 Feel free to call me and prove me wrong.