PDA

View Full Version : ECU locked me out....

GilbertFlores
10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I had an ecu lockout on my stock ecu...

i downloaded the unlocker tool from malibu_jack that was given to me from alan678 and it worked fine...i was able to go in and reset all numbers to keep from locking me out.

90AWDSM
10-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Bump for juu gilbert!

Get ya car back running man!

alan678
10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Looks like a locked ECU...

Download the un-locker tool......run the tool....then run ECU Flash and try to read the ROM again...

GilbertFlores
10-13-2008, 05:26 PM
alan is the man. thanx for the help O0

/thread.

gsrIXevo
10-13-2008, 07:01 PM
i am not trying to step on toes: but are you getting your laptop ready to write to the ecu and before you push write you should then turn the car to the on position(not fully cranked over) and then hit ok on the laptop to write to the ecu. sometimes the ecu has to have this volt charge high in order to write. but i would try it... (but it does sound like u got locked out....)

GilbertFlores
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
yeah i tried that already, but it was a lockout. i already fixed it so thanx for the input guys. O0

hardcoreracing
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
So what was the solution to help other evo guys out?

GilbertFlores
10-14-2008, 12:55 PM
download the ecu_unlocker.exe and run that before you open up ecuflash.

when you launch the unlocker it opens up a window and you just leave it open. its the hack to get to the ecu...

after that, open ecuflash and do your changes and whatever and when done, close each and your good O0

pretty simple.

hardcoreracing
10-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I've always used ecuflash by itself without the ecu unlocker tool. Did your ecu just suddenly lock itself out or was it always like that from the first time you tried to use ecuflash?

GilbertFlores
10-14-2008, 11:55 PM
no it all of a sudden locked out. but it works fine now

TeKiZeRo
10-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Alan is the man!

GilbertFlores
10-15-2008, 01:59 AM
+1

alan678
10-15-2008, 10:36 AM
You should change the subject back since this thread seems to keep going...lol!

hardcoreracing
10-15-2008, 11:03 AM
After flashing my car so many times, I always have that fear that my next flash will cause my ecu to brick or lock itself out. Some people say that it has safeguards to prevent the ecu from bricking itself but I'd like to know for sure before finding out I need to replace the ecu.

The only time I nearly shat my pants was when ecuflash wouldn't connect to reflash my car. In that case it was my battery that was dying and prevented ecuflash from connecting to the car because I think it needs at least 12v to do a reflash. Once I replaced my battery everything was fine.

Looney Tuning
10-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I find it hard to believe that an ECU would lock itself out.

This past Sat I had the misfortune of dealing with a locked ECU. What the previous tuner did was change the init code in the rom. The init code is set at 0001 for all ECU roms that I have seen. The tuner changed the Init code and I could not download the flash to read the rom. Luckily I remembered that I had Malibu Jack's unlocker tool. I ran it in the background and ran ECUflash and I was able to connect to the ECU.

This practice of locking the ECU PISSES me off.

1. The Tuner did not tell the the car owner that he is locking the ECU. That is totally UNETHICAL. The car is not the tuner's property and he has no right to lock the ECU w/o the owner's permission. Had the owner been informed and had the owner agreed to it, then that is fine by me.

2. The owner is paying for the rom, so that makes it the owenr's property and NOT the tuner's property. The owner of the car has every right to do what he damned pleae with the rom. He can share it with his friends, he can sell it, he can delete it, he can modify it. IT IS HIS PROPERTY. He paid for it, for God's sake.

3. IMO, tuners who lock ECUs are trying to hide something. This particular tune had a maxed out boost limit. The owner informed that his car had boost surge to 28-30 psi and he did not hit the boost cut. I could not wait to take this crappy tune off the car even though the owner wanted a baseline with it. I flat out said no, even though I weould have made $20 extra from a baseline.

To the OP, if your tune was locked, then it is more than likely that your tuner (whoever he is) locked it. An ECU rarely, if ever locks itself out.

1WkdEvo
10-15-2008, 08:35 PM
That was not the case here

GilbertFlores
10-15-2008, 10:03 PM
yeah i flashed a stock map to my car and i guess it had a lock down on it. its fixed now but i got other problems..so well see what happens..

reviving thread.....

inline4g63
10-15-2008, 10:22 PM
I find it hard to believe that an ECU would lock itself out.

This past Sat I had the misfortune of dealing with a locked ECU. What the previous tuner did was change the init code in the rom. The init code is set at 0001 for all ECU roms that I have seen. The tuner changed the Init code and I could not download the flash to read the rom. Luckily I remembered that I had Malibu Jack's unlocker tool. I ran it in the background and ran ECUflash and I was able to connect to the ECU.

unfortunately, that was my car. I dunno if this tuner's name is still forum restricted when posting or not...I havent been keeping up.

EvilAWD10
10-15-2008, 10:44 PM
to follow up with Looney Tuning i have some buddies that tuned their cars with tuners here in socal and some of them will put a lock code on it. just make sure to ask the tuner not to lock it when tuning,Â* a buddy of mine had the same problem

importryder1
03-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Where is a good place to take my EVO 9 ECU tuned?

1crazyEvo
03-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Tuners who lock ECUs suck a**! Be a man and be proud of your "work"!

Skiracer
03-13-2009, 10:56 PM
We should report this to the ACLU! Somone's civil rights are being violeted :2funny:

evoruff
03-14-2009, 12:53 AM
lol

a good tune is what really matters too, then the locking up sure.

FUEL
03-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Amen! The self righteous have spoken!!!

So... does the car run now? Are u tuning the car yourself now Gilbert? What caused you to get to "this point" that your ECU did this?

1crazyEvo
03-14-2009, 10:16 AM
lol

a good tune is what really matters too, then the locking up sure.
So how would you know if you had a good "tune" if you had no way to access your ECU to logg it after the tune? ignorance is bliss.....

GokuSSJ4
03-14-2009, 08:54 PM
This happens to be a very old thread and Alan has take the time to guide Gilbert on the right direction in order to solve his problem with the issue at hand back in Oct/08.
There's no reason to go into any further ?? or explanations on how this took place, since it has been resolve on his particular situation.
/Locked.