PDA

View Full Version : tranny

335eater
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
im going to be putting down about 440-470whp next week after my turbo and meth install and ive heard from some friends to start saving for an exedy clutch and or a tranny because of the wear and tear im going to have..... right now im running an act full face with lightened flywheel and alfred says it will handle the power for the time being but im wondering how long its gonna be til it takes a shit and i need a twin puck, a tranny, or both....?

1WkdEvo
10-19-2008, 02:25 PM
The bigger issue is your torque and its easy enough to go to the ACT website and take about 10 minutes to look at all of the information on every clutch/disc/flywheel combo they sell.Â* That's where I went before I settled on my 3200 and its been fine at the exact levels you are discussing.Â* 30r w/meth at 460/385

335eater
10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
ok and the tranny should be fine as long as the clutch is good?

Tech@ACT
10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
How long both of those parts last are both directly related to you and your driving style. There is no reason for the transmission to wear any faster than normal unless you are don't have enough of or you're using the wrong drivetrain fluids. If you shifting technique leaves something to be desired that too will cause the transmission to break sooner than later.Â*

As far as the clutch goes it's primary job is to allow you to apply the torque that the engine is making without slipping. How long it lasts will depend on the shop installing it and how well that was done, how you drive and your choice of clutch.

The following was written by GT40 (a moderator on here). Take it for what it's worth.

"I would share a few things, having had 8 CLUTCHES so far.Â* Â*My car has been in the 400-520 lbs of torque range since 2003.Â* Â*

What I have owned:
stock 5k(ruined by tech at brainstorm)
RPS max 5 puck ceramic 7k
cusco carbon twin plate 9k
ats carbon triple plate 8k
carbon triple plate prototype 2k(not production or expected to last)
exedy twin plate 9.5k
act 3200 sprung hub 14k
new act SOLID hub 3200- STILL WORKING

In addition, I tested 3 prototype clutches for a manufacturer and the act 3200 was the longest lasting clutch I have had- 14000 miles before I ripped the springs apart.Â* Â*The clutch had plenty of material and held fine up to that point.

ACT now has a solid hub 3200 that doesn't tear out the center hub rivets or springs that you see happen above 400 lbs of torque after a year.Â*

Save your money and just get a solid hub 3200. Avoid the overpriced and hard to drive lobster tail clutches.Â* Putting one of those in won't make it last any longer than the solid hub 3200 and will kill a significant amount of the joy of daily driving your car."