PDA

View Full Version : Megan Coilovers Track series Q's

HardRideCafe
10-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Just seeing if any body has ever tried these coilovers on the X. I'm thinking about getting them because they are very affordable, I don't go to the track and they look pretty good to . So I don't need the best coilovers out there. I just want something better than stock and I don't want to use drop springs.

Evolutionized
10-22-2008, 05:39 PM
you have the right idea.
good call for your situation

funks
10-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Don't they have the Megan Street coils available?Â* The Megan Tracks are alot stiffer than the streets so you might want to rethink the tracks version. Alot of people complain about how stiff the track versions are on the street.

BC Racing makes the Megan Coilovers and they have their "BR" series out for the EVOX - might want to take a look at those instead.Â* Price is about the same as the megans.

DPK MR
10-24-2008, 03:53 PM
I had a set and loved them. Â*I'm sure they would make the X quite crazy. Â*Anything that Tekizero has is fantastic.

HardRideCafe
10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Don't they have the Megan Street coils available? The Megan Tracks are alot stiffer than the streets so you might want to rethink the tracks version. Alot of people complain about how stiff the track versions are on the street.

BC Racing makes the Megan Coilovers and they have their "BR" series out for the EVOX - might want to take a look at those instead. Price is about the same as the megans.

I really don't mind a stiff ride to much. Its the bouncy ride that I can't take. Like when you get some drop springs and put them on stock shocks.

Singo
11-14-2008, 02:35 PM
I dont think track version is out yet is it?

HardRideCafe
11-14-2008, 02:40 PM

They have been released.

shibby
11-15-2008, 12:38 AM
did you get your coilovers yet?

Singo
11-28-2008, 11:37 AM

They have been released.

Nice~ I might get one

Blaze
11-29-2008, 07:18 PM
You've got to be kidding....

You need to go back and think this out before you start installing this kind of ebay crap on your car.
This isn't a 86' Honda CVVC you're dealing with. You'd be better off staying stock IMO.

Research the company. Research how their products are made, where, and who they copied the designs from.
Then when you come to your senses, save up 1.5-2x the money you were going to invest and buy a quality product.

I don't mean to bash you. Megan makes great.....uhm.....test pipes?? But seriously, please evaluate your thought process here.
You would buy the cheapest brakes possible for your mom's car would you?
You you don't go into chemo-treatment with coupons.
And you don't short cut/bargain hunt on an evo anymore then you would a Porsche/BMW/or anything respectable.

Best,

Blaze

HardRideCafe
11-29-2008, 09:04 PM
You've got to be kidding....

You need to go back and think this out before you start installing this kind of ebay crap on your car.
This isn't a 86' Honda CVVC you're dealing with. You'd be better off staying stock IMO.

Research the company. Research how their products are made, where, and who they copied the designs from.
Then when you come to your senses, save up 1.5-2x the money you were going to invest and buy a quality product.

I don't mean to bash you. Megan makes great.....uhm.....test pipes?? But seriously, please evaluate your thought process here.
You would buy the cheapest brakes possible for your mom's car would you?
You you don't go into chemo-treatment with coupons.
And you don't short cut/bargain hunt on an evo anymore then you would a Porsche/BMW/or anything respectable.

Best,

Blaze

IC where your coming from but not everyone can afford $2100 dollar coilovers, then pay for the install, and pay for a proper allignment.Â* I have not bought them yet.Â* But according to some reputable tuning shops I've herd there not bad on the track.Â* I would call myself a novice when it comes to professional road racing and I would probably only take my car to the track every once in awhile anyway.Â* What I'm trying to accomplich is get a good set of coilovers that will give me better handling and adjustability then stock, without breaking the bank.Â* Then I would be able to buy some descent tires, turbo upgrade, cams, tuning etc... Do you see where I'm going with this, an average guy like me cannot afford all these expenses.Â* I am not trying to win any trophies at HIN, get on Import Tuner magazine, or win the Championship at Redlines Time Attack (ok well maybe someday).Â*

I have also looked at BC and Stance coilvers as well but have yet to make a decision.Â* I am sure that Mueller and Robispec could get me some affordable springs with good spring rates if need be.Â* If you needed to get some affordable coilovers which ones would you suggest?

4g63superboost
11-29-2008, 09:08 PM
good for the money ....gets the job done .....

Alex7
11-30-2008, 09:32 PM
If you're just looking for a drop and not for performance, then get them. Actually, to be honest, I bought a used set of Megan track series for my S2000, and they weren't too bad when i took them to SOW clockwise a few times. I however, did not keep them on there, eventually switched out for another set.

Just keep in mind, a bad suspension can completely ruin your driving experience and potentially ruin your perception of your own car. Trust me I know. I bought the HKS RS for my 8 and the stock setup was so much better. The car was aligned shortly after install, but the spring rate and dampening was just too soft and no matter what ride height, they just couldn't get it done when compared to other friend's 8's on other types of suspensions.

Just something to think about, unless of course you dont mind spending on suspension more than once.

Wests
12-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Doesn't Tein make something affordable?

Evolutionized
12-19-2008, 10:01 PM
^^ who cares is tein makes something affordable... thats doesent make them good....

look at there S-tech springs ha WORST springs ever for the evo... yet people still buy them cuz they are "tein"

neveronlineten
02-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I think people under estimate Spring and shock combinations to be honest. You could get some Eibachs and some good quality shoks designed for the sportier spring rates and have a great combo for the track.

You can also buy 4000.00 coil-overs and make the car handle like #$#% ;) . I would be willing to bet 80% of the people on almost every sports car forum dont have a clue how to set up a suspensions (pre-loads, dampening, rebound, corner balancing, etc) and unless you pay someone who happens to drive the same way you drive or take the time to learn how to set these things the right way then they are all a waste of money ;)

I would also look into how easy it is to get the company to rebuild them when they need it. KW seems to be very good about it and so does Tein (even though most people dont like tein). Coil-overs usually dont last any longer than other shocks so I would take those things into consideration too.

I wouldn't use price point as the sole thing to consider when buying coil-overs either there are a ton of companies that just copy others designs and dont make a good product, so take some time and do some research and then make the right decision so you dont end up paying for the same mods over and over.

Just something to think about, in the end I am sure you will do whatever you want to do. Good luck!

drewm
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
I think people need to start realizing that the ride quality, and performance of a coilover has more to do with the tuner that set it up than the coilover unit itself. There's just way too many adjustable variables... camber, toe, spring preload, shock body length, dampener setting, spring rate for anyone who doesn't do this as a full time job to get correct without months of testing. And those settings are for each corner. Just watching Mueller's suspension units labeled for right and left side tells me that they aren't even using the same settings on the right and left of the car.

If you don't want to spend the money for a coilover system from Muellerized, you're probably better off with a lowering spring setup from Muellerized. It will corner and ride better than anything set up by a bunch of guys who will just slap you with the stock alignment and some coilover settings they guessed up.