PDA

View Full Version : Newbie getting ready for track day

strat10
10-28-2008, 12:42 PM
So, It looks like I am going to be attending the Willow track day on Nov 14th. I have done a few auto X events before in my Mini, but never a full track like this.

I know they will have some knowledgable people there to help me out, but what should I do to prepare my Evo X? Also, I have only 850 miles on the engine, is that enough break in before I start wailing on it on a track?

Thanks!

baylorar
10-29-2008, 07:38 AM
I think you'll get differing opinions on if the motor is broken in enough.Â* Some people take thousands of miles and some say you can break it in with one day of driving.Â* I personally have no idea haha.

As for track, when I went to my first (at SOWS as well), I just took torque wrench (wheels need to stay on car), some distilled water (to top off coolant), a quart of oil (you may burn a little), window cleaner (need to be able to see), and that's about it.Â* I don't know how much stuff you keep in the car, but take everything that isn't necessary out (anything that can move).Â* Rattling coins will piss you off.Â*

Have fun up there man.Â* I did my first track day there in September.Â* It was a total blast.Â* First few laps were a little nerve wracking, but then you settle in. Did you get the instructor? If not, I think it's well worth the $50 if you haven't done many autox/track days.

Don't drive like an idiot when you go to lunch or when you leave. The :police: know when these events take place.

Let us know how things go!

choicelaw
10-29-2008, 07:44 AM
Helmet, drinking water, air pressure, tools, painters tape

baylorar
10-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Helmet, drinking water, air pressure, tools, painters tape

helmet indeed a good idea :lol:

strat10
10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the tips! I never thought of a torque wrench and an air pressure guage, I guess both of those would be a good idea! As far as the painters tape, is that what I see on people's cars? The magic blue tape? I think that would be a good idea.

baylorar
10-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the tips! I never thought of a torque wrench and an air pressure guage, I guess both of those would be a good idea! As far as the painters tape, is that what I see on people's cars? The magic blue tape? I think that would be a good idea.

Yea, people put it on to avoid rocks/dirt hitting the car. People will go off the track (not alot, but it happens) and throw up some some dirt/rocks. I didn't use it the first time I went, but a lot of people do.

strat10
10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
So, traction controll on or off?

baylorar
10-29-2008, 08:42 AM
So, traction controll on or off?

wtf? I don't have traction control in mine (that i know of :lol:), but I'd suggest off. I drove my really hard by the end and didn't spin it.

fastkevin
10-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Since it's your first time on the track, I don't think it's gonna be slowing you down. I would suggest leaving it on. You're gonna be needing to pay attention to where the track goes, then your braking markers, turn it, apex, exit markers. Having the car help you be smooth in the beginning isn't gonna hurt anything, IMO. I also wouldn't worry about removing your spare, etc.. Once again, the extra 30lbs isn't gonna make a damn bit of difference, unless you're within 2-tenths of the track record anyway. Bring plenty of water for you and the car, oil, at least basic tools, shade, something to sit on, helmet, long sleeve shirt/pants, and if you need to bring a tech slip filled out, get it done beforehand. If you can get someone to go with you, that wouldn't hurt either.

flyingscot
11-30-2008, 06:39 AM
So, It looks like I am going to be attending the Willow track day on Nov 14th. I have done a few auto X events before in my Mini, but never a full track like this.

I know they will have some knowledgable people there to help me out, but what should I do to prepare my Evo X? Also, I have only 850 miles on the engine, is that enough break in before I start wailing on it on a track?

Thanks!

how did you enjoy your track day in the evo?little bit different,huh,i also came from a mini jcw which i still have,got tired off these things with a wing flying by me,have a awesome evo ix now

baylorar
11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
yea, how was it? you never updated us :'(

strat10
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Actually I was on my way up there when I got the call about the fires in Santa Barbara. My GF's parents had to evacuate, so I had to turn around at 8:30 pm the night before! Man, it really bummed me out! I was all the way out there! :tickedoff: Her parents were fine and the house was ok, but I lost out. Oh well, maybe next time!

strat10
12-01-2008, 06:10 PM
how did you enjoy your track day in the evo?little bit different,huh,i also came from a mini jcw which i still have,got tired off these things with a wing flying by me,have a awesome evo ix now

What year is your JCW?

flyingscot
12-01-2008, 09:41 PM

What year is your JCW?
2006,great canyon carver

strat10
12-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, the 2006 was a much better car than the 2007's. I just couldnt get used to the horrible torque steer of the R56.

Evolutionized
12-02-2008, 11:04 AM
mini coopers are alright..

i use to work at BMW... cool little cars but i dont think i could ever compare them to an evo..

strat10
12-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah, for sure, its a totally different world. That is why I traded mine in for an X

flyingscot
12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
yeah the evo is a much better car in every way than the mini,the r53 has a lot of torque steer too

strat10
12-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Not half as much as the R56 but I know that a lot of people were saying it was because of the soft suspension mounts in the front. Alta came out with a replacement that was suppose to take care of that. Also the R56 had a terrible tracking issue. It would literally follow the cracks on the highway like a motorcycle.

Crazy

flyingscot
12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Not half as much as the R56 but I know that a lot of people were saying it was because of the soft suspension mounts in the front. Alta came out with a replacement that was suppose to take care of that. Also the R56 had a terrible tracking issue. It would literally follow the cracks on the highway like a motorcycle.

Crazy
i think that might be a trait of the mini,i had the same deal,still a fun car to drive though,but childsplay compared to the evo

backcountryEvo
12-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I followed a mini around Thunderhill and I could barely keep up with him. He had A LOT of work done on that car though +slicks. Fun little cars nevertheless

strat10
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, they are a lot of fun, and realy do feel like a go cart, especially when you have a bit of upgrades. My JCW was pulling about 200 HP of Factoy legal HP.

flyingscot
01-13-2009, 09:08 PM
so,strat10,when you gonna get that trackday under your belt

strat10
01-14-2009, 11:59 AM
oh, I thought the season was over, Let me check to see when the next one is.

tanK
01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Theres spots open at Buttonwillow 24/25th. That's the beauty of SoCal. The season is NEVER over.

flyingscot
01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Theres spots open at Buttonwillow 24/25th. That's the beauty of SoCal. The season is NEVER over.
yeah baby^

strat10
01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Ill be out there soon! not this time. I am getting it tuned at HBSpeed next week, that should help!

kautiongsr
02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
hey strat10 ... you should dyno your 56 jcw says things and never comes thro... on the r 53 the mini gp was making more power... and honestly... i like gp way more than jcw... if you ever dyno give me an update.. O0

strat10
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
If I still had them I would......Im all Evo now, never looked back.

kautiongsr
02-24-2009, 11:13 PM
cool im all evo 2.... lol...

strat10
02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
What are your thoughts on the differences in the two cars?

mrchomponthis
01-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Take it easy at first, you don't want to wreck your new baby. Also after your first session mentally go over laps in your head once you are off track. It is a very good idea to envision what you are going to do on your next session. It really has helped me in my karting and track days.

libratl
01-31-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd highly recommend renting a transponder even if this is your first time at track. This way you can track your improvement through different sessions and also for future events.

ESCALVANTE
03-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Take it easy at first, you don't want to wreck your new baby. Also after your first session mentally go over laps in your head once you are off track. It is a very good idea to envision what you are going to do on your next session. It really has helped me in my karting and track days.

Good advice.

billedoc
05-10-2010, 03:41 AM
My advice for you is that HAVE FUN!

Your not competing for a championship or a trophy yet. Have fun and learn the track. With any track you visit, you are going to need to memorize the track. Also just like Autocross, ALWAYS look ahead. Looking ahead helps set yourself up properly in line for the next turn. Be confident but not OVER confident.

As far as the car! Make sure your wheels are torqued and bring coolant just in case. Also bring a few quarts of oil cause you might burn a little. Try messing around with tire pressures as well. I don't know what tires you are running but a good base would maybe be 30 psi? or 32?. Remember that tires will go up in pressure as they get hotter. That's one mistake I see all newbie track drivers do is have there PSI so high such as 40. It will easily rise to 45-50 psi.

Again, HAVE FUN!

b505
08-05-2010, 11:58 AM
bring a litlte extra oil and a little extra brake fluid! swap your fluid out if you have the time/money I've had my pedal to teh floor a couple times in the evo...it still stops but its scary when it goes down like that