PDA

View Full Version : first official post, new owner of evo 9 mr. Drivetrain maintenance suggestion.

klomast3r
10-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Because Im a newbie, I did tried searching, reading sticky, and googling for help. But what Im getting are mixed answers. Hopefully someone with an Evo 9 MR can help guide me.

For peace of mind, I would like to completely change all neccessary oils at once...

Engine Oil - I will be going with mobil 1
Transmisson oil - not sure because its 6 gears, need oem equivelent
Transfer oil - oem or equivelent ?
Rear Differential - oem or equivelent ?
ACD oil or fluid? not sure if neccessary.

I do have the information as to how much oil each takes, but not sure as to what brand to put.
Looking to purchase all at once. If you know any site with good price and shipping. Please let me KNow.

Thanks in advance.

Klo

evobros
10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
dont take it to MFQ motorsport.....

vietman
10-30-2008, 11:26 AM
transmission bf syncro
transfer diaqueen
both can be purchased at south coast or any of their sister stores

j_nizzle
10-30-2008, 11:35 AM

engine oil = anything full synthetic 10w30, about 4.5 quarts

transmission = i believe it is rated at 75w90 but BG synchroshift is good (SCM sells it in individual containers and you'll need 3 for the transmission)

Differential/Transfer case = i believe this is also rated at 75w90 and the oem is Diaqueen, i have used Redline Heavy Shockproof with good results...with the colder weather approaching, i might use the lighter formula. about 1 quart for each.

ACD = i believe this just uses normal atf fluid, but you can also double check at a dealer.

Good luck...dont forget coolant and/or your cabin air filter either since you're doing some routine maintnence. how many miles are on your car? you might need to replace some belts too.

JOOTZ
10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
i used BG and redline for the driveline, all purchased at RRE

klomast3r
10-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Car has 41k on it. I've just purchased it last week from HBM dealer. Actually, I purchased it from LBM but the car was brought from HBM. No record of maintenance on the car.

This is the reason why im doing this. I just might have to bring into RRE and have them take care of it.

The information you guys provided really helped. Thanks to everyone on this thread.

Klo.

JOOTZ
10-30-2008, 02:24 PM
with 41k and the car up on the rack,also think about the serpentine and timing belt

j_nizzle
10-30-2008, 02:35 PM
with 41k and the car up on the rack,also think about the serpentine and timing belt

timing belt can wait until 60k. check the service record to see if the serpentine/accessory belt was changed at 30k.

klomast3r
10-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Crap! I just checked with my dealership, and the guy who sold me the car said pre-own never have service record, because each dealership has a private systems. So no record at all.

So safe bet is to get it checked at RRE.

This is going to first time for me.

j_nizzle
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
call them first and good luck.

there are a few shops around. if you need a local shop, just list up your location.

klomast3r
10-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm in Lakewood area 562. RRE is far, not complaining, but if there's a reputable shop closer to my area then cool. If not RRE it is. Gotta make time.

klomast3r
11-03-2008, 10:07 AM

engine oil = anything full synthetic 10w30, about 4.5 quarts

transmission = i believe it is rated at 75w90 but BG synchroshift is good (SCM sells it in individual containers and you'll need 3 for the transmission)

Differential/Transfer case = i believe this is also rated at 75w90 and the oem is Diaqueen, i have used Redline Heavy Shockproof with good results...with the colder weather approaching, i might use the lighter formula. about 1 quart for each.

ACD = i believe this just uses normal atf fluid, but you can also double check at a dealer.

Good luck...dont forget coolant and/or your cabin air filter either since you're doing some routine maintnence. how many miles are on your car? you might need to replace some belts too.

J_Nizzle,

I got a quote from RRE...They use Redline motor oil 20/50. Should I stick with 10W30 or 20W50? Will 20W50 be better for my motor since its thicker?

For the transfer, they use Redline Heav Weight Shock Proof gear oil.
For LSD they use REdline 75W90 gear oil.

If this is fine, then I will place an order with them.

atlvalet
03-23-2009, 09:10 PM
DO NOT put BG Synchroshift, BG 2 or Synchromesh in your 6 speed. They suck, bad.

I use Castrol SynTorq LT which is an exact equivalent to the 75W-85 the 6 speed uses, except it's a full synthetic.

xchosun1x
06-08-2009, 09:14 AM
take it any reputable shop on the forums. They will know the oils for you.
With their experience of dealing with evo on a daily basis, it'll be easier on you.

I took my evo to Tuning Tech for my first driveline fluid change and was very happy with the price and work.

enVmyIX
06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Check out RREs website, they have a section on there somewhere that lists all the recommended fluids for your drive train. That's where I get my stuff from, they can ship it to you. Then just change it yourself and save $80

CRX2EVO
06-20-2009, 06:40 PM
look at the dates!

Mister
06-23-2009, 10:53 AM
lol