PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me change a brake pad?

laz1e
11-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Hey guys, im a new evo owner and am just starting to meet some people. I plan on attending some meets soon. I just haven't because school has been busy.

Anyway, I found out that one of the pads on my front brakes is in backwards! I heard its easy to swap it out and I only need to do one brake. Is anyone in the area that would like to take a look with me so i don't do anything wrong? It shouldn't take more than a few minutes since I heard it was pretty easy. I feel bad driving it around the way it is.

Please let me know! PM me or something, thanks!

By the way, my name is Andrew. I'm in Alhambra but I'll drive out to meet you of course so you don't have to go anywhere.

Terenus
11-05-2008, 12:21 AM
How is it backwards? There's no inside or outside pad, all the front pads are the same.

r0me0ne
11-05-2008, 12:24 AM
thats what i was wondering, i pmd him but no response...if its in the pins its in the pins, unless you want to see the little sensor

laz1e
really? because when i look at the metal bracket looking thing on the pad, the passenger one you can see the metal tab b ut ont he driver side its not facing the outside.

r0me0ne
ask azul_gsr...he knows...he taught me...lol

Terenus
11-05-2008, 12:26 AM
If you're anal, then you can swap the pads, but it's not a big deal.

laz1e
11-05-2008, 12:28 AM
If you're anal, then you can swap the pads, but it's not a big deal.

yeah, i just want to be sure because.. when i brake sometimes in low speed there is this scraping/grinding noise.. it sounds really nasty and i can feel the vibration in the pedal. its coming from the front. and its only when im like.. rolling in a parking lot or something and i brake. sometimes when im driving at like 30-40mph i can hear a small scrape sound almost as if something is scraping something while rotating. i thought it was the metal thing on the pad scraping the rotor or something

Terenus
11-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Those are wear sensors, if your pads are new they should not be making any sounds. What pads did you get?

laz1e
11-05-2008, 12:34 AM
the fronts are the stock brembos and the rears are.. project mu i think.
im kind of worried about the scraping sound because i can feel the vibration int he pedal when it happens and it sounds really nasty. im glad it only happens when im rolling slowly and i brake. But theres also a smalll scrape sound when i cruise on the street at a medium speed. I think im just going to have mitsubishi take a look when i have the chance. do you think they will complain about aftermarket brake pads?

llvllattP
11-05-2008, 12:39 AM
no they wont complain...they probably insist you getting brake pads soon...REALLY SOON

haha

but they overcharged me so dont get it from there i got mine from 500whp.com from jeff...he gives good prices or basicly any vendor here on the forums

wait..andrew?

i thought this was mina?

laz1e
11-05-2008, 12:40 AM
no they wont complain...they probably insist you getting brake pads soon...REALLY SOON

haha

but they overcharged me so dont get it from there i got mine from 500whp.com from jeff...he gives good prices or basicly any vendor here on the forums

wait..andrew?

i thought this was mina?

yeah im her friend.. i bought it from her.

laz1e
11-06-2008, 07:37 PM
is there someone in the the SGV or covina, or pomona area that can help me check for a boost leak? and possibly take a look at my brakes? I wouldn't mind paying them to check it out as well as long as its not too major. I called the dealer (south coast) and they said it would cost like 40 just to check the brakes but i think it shouldnt be to hard just to check it out.

So i was just wondering if there was someone in the SGV area that knows a lot about evos that might catch something wrong -- if there was something wrong. is there someone like that in this area?

laz1e
11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
nevermind guys, i did everything myself mostly. and as for the boost leak i found out it was my gauge that was working incorrectly.
thanks for all the comments and help guys. im looking forward to coming otu to a meet sometime.

coredump
11-30-2008, 03:15 AM
for non single piece calipers (i.e. most normal OEM brakes), you just remove one of the two bolts that holds it to the bracket and loosen the other. swing it down. check pads.

for single piece calipers (i.e. brembos, and other big brake kits), just remove the bridge and look inside.

shouldn't be too hard.

laz1e
11-30-2008, 03:28 AM
thanks for the replies everyone.
i already took a look at my brakes and replaced them as well as my rotors. thanks for all the help

jerrym
11-30-2008, 06:40 AM
werd