PDA

View Full Version : Mods for my new X

silverride
11-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Sold my VIII for an M3 6 months ago. Horrible decision! Got my X Saturday and life is great. I have some questions about tuning and mods. Performance is key but drivability is also nice. My old Evo had Injen CAI and turbo back. The exhaust was quiet but the intake was loud. Does the new AEM CAI give just as much flow as an open air intake and is it loud? I like the look of the AEM intake and am hoping it is quiet. RRE and Mike as well as Scott G were great even though the drive was long. I look forward to having my car at RRE in the near future to uncork it. How loud is Mike's new stealth dual exhaust? Opinions from experience with these products would be appreciated.

HaVoK23
11-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Why didn't you like the M3? Was it an E46?

seph09
11-05-2008, 11:51 PM
just go to RRE! best decision ever!

1SiCkeVo
11-05-2008, 11:55 PM
I have the RRE exhaust system and its great. Not too loud but still has this rumble to it that makes it sound beastly haha. On idle its not loud not even for crusing. It gets loud on the higher RPMs but thats any exhaust. Just go to RRE and they can fabricate one up to your tastes. Good luck

strat10
11-06-2008, 09:16 AM
I got the AEM intake from Mike at RRE. I didnt notice it being any louder than stock. When your really standing on it, it just sounds different. It did add a lot more "pep" to the car.

silverride
11-06-2008, 04:19 PM
How many miles should I put on my X before I start the mods?

Thank you for all the input everyone. Why did I not like my E46 M3: In six months, my car with 48,000 miles had stitching come undone on a seat leaving a 3 inch hole in the side bolster, shattered fog light (not the cars fault), Broken seatbelt reciever on the female side (I guess contact went bad so light just kept blinking whether the seatbelt was in or not, and the alternator went out $400. I did not want to wait for the next one like SMG tranny going out to the tune of $3500 just for parts on ebay. My Evo VIII did not break once in 4 years. I LOVE MY NEW Evo X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, it's faster, and handles better than the BMW and thats stock.

strat10
11-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I put the CAI on my car at 200 miles. ;)

EvO9marine
11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
what was the price on these RRE Exhaust?

silverride
11-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Good to know it is not louder than stock. Â*I see the dyno's from RRE which Mike claims 30 hp increase from the CAI if combined with full exhaust. Â*Is this as good as any intake w/o the box?

silverride
11-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Mike has many different set-ups but most of the dual exhausts appear to be in the $650 range for the cat back. He has all of them listed with pricing at roadraceengineering.com in the Evo X parts section of his site.

1GGEvo
11-06-2008, 09:25 PM
if you get a custom exhaust, make sure you check the welds! i have seen some suspect welds with some holes in some custom exhausts. Particularly, i usually wait about 1k mi before i do any mods, just a personal preferance. And at least you get a feel for the car stock. (makes the mods feel that much more satisfying) Don't rule out the single exhaust. I am rocking one now and its just test pipe back. The exhaust coupled with agency power intake and a dejon boost controller gave me just over 300 awhp on MFQ's Dyno Dynamics (in 100 degree plus heat no less). These cars don't need much push and they will give up the power like a girl on easy street!

silverride
11-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Can anyone vouch for the quality of the RRE Dual oval stealth, it looks bad ass to me. How are the quality of the welds? Looks great in the pics but in person? Does RRE make them or are they brought in?

Mike W
11-07-2008, 03:03 PM
We have a real shop. We are at 13022 La Dana Ct. Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

You can stop by in person between 10 am and 10 pm most any day M-F and have a look for your self :-)
Currently we build them one at a time, to your specifications, on your car, with love. The mufflers are from Magnaflow.

Mike W

evogeo
11-07-2008, 03:27 PM
The RRE crew is the shizznit! They will fab you an exhaust to your liking! And I'm sure they won't leave any of these holes in the welds.. Its not a corner muffler shop! Its a well known and respectable race shop.

The AEM intake is alittle louder than stock but only when ur on the gas...

As for the exhaust idk.. But imo the sideways muffler looks pretty darn cool!

Mightygnu
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
If youre looking for an exhaust, I have a harman motive turbo back for sale.

evoxkrazy
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
AEM intake is pretty quiet but with the windows down and radio off you can hear the blowoff a little more :)

EvOBoOmBoOm
11-22-2008, 07:25 PM
crazyy

fastkevin
11-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Can anyone vouch for the quality of the RRE Dual oval stealth, it looks bad ass to me. How are the quality of the welds? Looks great in the pics but in person? Does RRE make them or are they brought in?

I can.. I dunno if dude who posted about the welds has an axe to grind with RRE, or sports an off-the-shelf brand, and wants everyone else too, but I've personally owned two RRE exhuasts on two different cars, and never had a problem. Never heard of anyone else having any as well. They're made by RRE when your car is on their lift.
If you truly want good info, I would bet that contacting RRE yourself, and going up there to inspect their systems in person, would be much better than asking for info over the internet. My car's in Buena Park, and you more than welcome to come check out thier dual system on it if you'd like as well.