PDA

View Full Version : Parts missing on AEM Intake

silverride
11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
So I installed my AEM intake today and it is nice and quiet. It is the first mod and did wake up the car as advertised but... Just a little warning to everyone installing it at home. The parts list calls for a 3/16 vacuum hose (10") but the directions calls for a 3/32" hose. AEM includes the 3/16 hose with the kit (as they pull from the parts list) but its to big and will cause you to have a really bad idle kind of like the original flash from Mitsu caused by the vacuum leak. I had to go buy the the 3/32 hose to fix the problem. I also sadly want to admit as it is my fault partly that I stripped one of the screws for the MAF. I know better than to torque into aluminum and there was barely an resistance and it stripped anyway. The other one was fine and took far more torque and is holding solid. All seems to work great though. Do you guys think I should replace that section or do you think I am okay with one solid screw and one so so screw? Should I contact AEM? It really stripped far to easily, I was being careful!

Evoegg
11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
So I installed my AEM intake today and it is nice and quiet. It is the first mod and did wake up the car as advertised but... Just a little warning to everyone installing it at home. The parts list calls for a 3/16 vacuum hose (10") but the directions calls for a 3/32" hose. AEM includes the 3/16 hose with the kit (as they pull from the parts list) but its to big and will cause you to have a really bad idle kind of like the original flash from Mitsu caused by the vacuum leak. I had to go buy the the 3/32 hose to fix the problem. I also sadly want to admit as it is my fault partly that I stripped one of the screws for the MAF. I know better than to torque into aluminum and there was barely an resistance and it stripped anyway. The other one was fine and took far more torque and is holding solid. All seems to work great though. Do you guys think I should replace that section or do you think I am okay with one solid screw and one so so screw? Should I contact AEM? It really stripped far to easily, I was being careful!

Thanks for the write up! good info on the hose and screw! I think you can email AEM and tell them about the Hose and screw(I think AEM should look into the wrong size HOSE, it is very important). And a right size hose might just fix the idle problem.

Thanks

Evoegg

strat10
11-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Definitely, give them a call!

Mike W
11-10-2008, 10:43 AM
They already know about the vacuum hose deal. That has been fixed. There will still be some from older production runs on the shelves out there.

As far as the MAF screw, you really have to be careful starting the threads. You need to start both before tightening either one. I have personally installed about 8 of them. If you are not paying attention you can get one started at an angle. They are tiny screws with tiny threads. You cant force anything, it is all finesse.

Mike W

silverride
11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks all. Mike, do you think it will be okay with one solid screw?

Blaze
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks all. Mike, do you think it will be okay with one solid screw?

The MAF sensor is a critical component to your car.
You don't hold it in with a screw, zip tie, a hope and a prayer.
Find a tap and dye kit, get it fixed and seated properly.

Mike W
11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
22-24 psi pressure will be pushing it out at an angle if it is only held on one side. Best to fix it. I would say drop by the shop and I'd fix it for you but I will be at Buttonwillow the next two days. If you dont have it fingered out and safe by Thursday, stop by the shop in the afternoon or evening.

Mike W

silverride
11-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Mike,

What time will you be at the shop till on Thursday? Will you be around Saturday?

Mike W
11-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Thursday till 11 pm. No plans for Saturday at this time.

Mike W

silverride
11-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Mike,

Thanks you for your help with the intake the other night. All of your info was appreciated. Can't wait for the stealth exhaust next week.
RRE is the best!

P.S. If anyone out there isn't sure where to take their X to set it up right, I know RRE is a really good choice ;)