PDA

View Full Version : wiring for STRI X-line boost gauge (mechanical)

laz1e
11-23-2008, 02:30 AM
I bought this used from another member and I just need to get the wiring done. The wiring on the gauge comes with 3 color wires. 1 black, 1 red, 1 yellow.

The black is obviously the ground but im not sure exactly where to put the red and yellow.
I have tried to tap the wires in the radio harness.

I tapped the red on the gauge to the red w/ black stripes on the radio harness and what this does is make the boost gauge light stay on all the time (EVEN WITH THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION).

So I guess my questions are.. what is the red and yellow wire for and where is the easiest place to tap them into?

This is for an evo9 btw

pikadosboy
11-23-2008, 02:32 AM
so the red has to go to acc! and the yellow should go to your medium lights!

laz1e
11-23-2008, 12:25 PM
mmm can someone just tell me more specifically which wire to tap into for the radio harness?

NativeSS
11-23-2008, 01:01 PM
you should tap into your ignition harness for ACC (12 volt wire, might take a few trys without a wiring diagram) and your headlight wiring for your gauge lights.

laz1e
11-23-2008, 02:26 PM
oops i just realized i accidentally posted this in the EVOX section. sorry about that, can a mod move this?

pikadosboy
11-23-2008, 08:37 PM
what you need is a tester!

laz1e
11-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I just grounded the black wire, tapped the red wire into the dimmer switch (green with white stripe) and left the yellow wire hanging...

the gauge turns on and off with the parking lights but that it. it doesnt dim or anything... don't know how to make it dim. the gauge is really bright. up in my face and everything haha

mitsuEVO8kid
12-03-2008, 12:19 PM
^^Thats what the 12v constant(yellow) is used for. So when your Accessory wire turns off the gauge, the 12v constant (yellow) pushes power to the gauge to light it up but at a dimmer setting.

Hook that wire up and dont leave it hanging OR leave it hanging, but place a crimp cap on it or any other form of butt connector. Otherwise if it touches ANY metal it can cause a fire in your car and that wouldnt be good.

laz1e
12-03-2008, 12:37 PM
^^ thanks for the help! i didnt JUST leave it hanging of course, i taped it up really well and made sure it wouldnt touch anything.

anyways, the problem isnt that its not lighting during the day. i dont really care if it lights up or not during the day. the problem is the gauge is TOO BRIGHT at night when its on! haha i was wondering if its possible to dim it somehow!