PDA

View Full Version : Driving the Grapevine from LA to Bay Area

Skiracer
12-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I might be driving to the Bay Area soon and weather reports indicates rain for Los Angeles the day i plan on departing.Â* Looking for any tips/recommendations on what to expect, how dangerous roads are, where the speedtraps are, interesting places to stop on the way, etc... since i have never done the drive

Thanks!

Ion619
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
i plan on driving up to sacramento from san diego on the 24th.. hopefully it won't be that bad up in the grapevine area.. when u plan on leaving?

EVOate909
12-18-2008, 09:32 PM
ive driven the socal to norcal hella times...

the 5 is actually pretty flat and smooth...jus make sure u have a good radar detector

as for the grapevine, my cousin jus drove up last monday and she said it was closed due to snow...so she took 101 all the way which is 2-3 hours longer

ebevo
12-18-2008, 10:00 PM
are you taking the evo?

take the 5 when you go to SF

If the weather is good coming home then take the PCH/1 and if you are in no rush. :twisted:

I did that in an SUV with a slush box and wished I drove the evo during the trip home :'(

pjb00stin
12-19-2008, 01:05 AM
i plan on driving up to sacramento from san diego on the 24th.. hopefully it won't be that bad up in the grapevine area.. when u plan on leaving?

wow same thing here!im doing this trip on the 16th of january.

Skiracer
12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Where do the cops hang out on the Grapevine? Only hang out near the small towns? Safe to cruise at 80-85MPH?

tanK
12-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Simon, having made this trip countless times in the evo and various other cars.... here's some advice.

On the 5 going through the mountains, the truck lane or the furthest right hand lane is usually the lowest traffic. Only bad thing is the road has really deep curves so if you're not careful you'll go off the road. Other than that you can pretty much speed around 90-95mph in the slow lane. Just be weary of underpasses big trees as those are used by cops. Just slow down for every overpass you see then hit the gas to get back to speed. I made the trip home from socal to norcal in around 4-6 hours varying on traffic.

Sr20kidD
12-19-2008, 02:20 PM
hella is soo norcal oldshool..

like tank said, over passes and trees..also watch out in kern county thats where are the cops are... i got a ticket going 96 while other cars where passing me and i was in the middle of the bunch.. pretty fucked up...

i over paid on a ticket and never cashed the check they sent me back.. the points havent hit my record yet... and its been over a year... NICE!!!

bleakdragonmage
12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
during this seasons/weather...i wouldnt speed going over the grapevine...going north isnt the problem..going towards LA on the return trip is a lot of downhill grades and easy to speed...

i wouldnt because during the holidays and such cops swarm that shit...if you're going to cruise...id do 75...80 if i felt like pushing it...

but i agree with the above posters...take the 5 there..and if you have free time on the way back take PCH...you wont regret it..trust me.

Skiracer
12-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!

leaveit2bevo
12-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Theres one major part the cops hide on in the grapevine, but it will be impossible to describe. So like they said anywhere where theres an overpass those assholes are hiding. If your going to speed on the 5 dont clear 100, you can get away with 80-90 without a radar detector. Im trying to drive down in a couple days and hoping I can make it over the grapevine because I dont want to spend 9 hours on the 101.

Skiracer
12-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Are gas stations plentiful along the way or are their long ass stretches of road where no stations exist? I'll have the ski rack on, so i only get about 200 miles/tank with the rack on.

pjb00stin
12-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Are gas stations plentiful along the way or are their long ass stretches of road where no stations exist? I'll have the ski rack on, so i only get about 200 miles/tank with the rack on.

you'll be ok.When i went i only made one stop for gas which was at lost hills.When you exit,you have 76 on your right,and chevron and mobile one on your left

Sr20kidD
12-21-2008, 11:54 AM

you'll be ok.When i went i only made one stop for gas which was at lost hills.When you exit,you have 76 on your right,and chevron and mobile one on your left

yea the exit is highway 46 towards lost hills. usually i take that to hit the 101. I usually fill up at the pilot.. lol not harm done to the car and its usually 30 cents cheaper per gallon.. hhehe

"Theres one major part the cops hide on in the grapevine, but it will be impossible to describe. So like they said anywhere where theres an overpass those assholes are hiding. If your going to speed on the 5 dont clear 100, you can get away with 80-90 without a radar detector. Im trying to drive down in a couple days and hoping I can make it over the grapevine because I dont want to spend 9 hours on the 101."

i know the area your talking about leaveit and its right before the down hill windy.. its in kern county.. the CHP are complete asses there

lakerraider
12-22-2008, 01:43 AM
i live in bakersfield which is right after then grapevine and i, always driving back and forth from LA. i actually just went to riverside yesterday, and the 5 on the grapevine wasnt icy at all, but when its raining in bakersfield, that means most likely it snowing on the grapevine which is extrememly dangerous. its gonna be raining her most of the week so the 5 might close up at night...hot spots for chps and dots from pyramid lake to gorman, and the fraizer park/pine mountain area, ive been busted there once for 96 mph (supposedly). once u hit the TA on the right side sb on the 5 past the mountains, I've always done a 100mph cruise with no problems . drive safe!

ChrisF
12-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Simon:

It's a pretty easy but boring trip.Â* My $.02:

Beginning through the top of the Grapevine:Â* Keep the speeds near legal until you pass Lake Hughes.Â* After that it's pretty wide open.Â* Truck lanes are the way to go if you hit a herd of cars.Â* Follow the overpass advice.

From the top to the bottom of the grapevine:Â* If you see ANY sign of snow, ice or weather, drive like a grandmother.Â* The road is very dangerous and the stupidity of other drivers is even worse.Â* It's not that long a stretch;Â* you can makeup time later.Â* Watch downhill speed;Â* very easy to build speed on the way down.Â*

From the base to SF:Â* Â*Loonnnnnnnnnnng boring drive until you hit the wind turbines outside of Livermore.Â* Be very careful of overpasses and cops going the opposite direction.Â* I usually find someone that's going 80-95 andÂ* travel 3-6 car lengths behind them.Â* That way, if you have a cop, they are both an early warning and decoy. ;)Â* There are tons of gas stations (I'm assuming you're on 91 for the trip).Â* I also recommend carrying some basic tools to save you a headache if you have a stupid problem like an intake hose popping off. Oh and most important: put your vents on recirculate when you get near Coalinga. You'll understand why when you get near it :D

Have a safe great trip.

blueprint
12-23-2008, 12:55 PM
i've done this drive many many times but never in the evo... it's just about the boringest drive one can go through.

i just fly now... $50 one way/$100-$150 round trip from burbank to san jose.Â* borrow my cousins car and im set.Â* i've rented before for like $10 a day.Â* i still often go back home to san jose but when i do i don't even think about driving anymore.

look into it.Â* 30 minute flight from take off to landing.

Greyhound Bus is like $50 round trip.