PDA

View Full Version : Tranny? T-case? im stumped! dunno whats wrong....

RSevoIX
12-27-2008, 09:57 PM
ok so i went for a lil "spirted" driving yesterday night....i take off in 1st a lil harder than usual :idiot2: and i wish i never did.....the wheels caught then BOOOM the car comes to a rolling stop and i cant get it to move in 1st,2nd,3rd ect. i did notice when i let off the clutch (while in gear) i hear a noise that the clutch is spining with a grinding noise and the car does not move.

my brohter-in-law comes over and we start to tear down the tranny....we finally got the tranny seperated from the motor and looked at the clutch, clutch almost looks brand new! we look at all he input/output shafts and none of them are stripped we spin the input shaft of the tranny and everything is fine, we go through all the gears and nothing wrong! now...we havent looked at the t-case yet but im suspecting that the t-case is toast :'(

i need some input from you guys with what you might think or maybe somene has had this happen to them pleeease help and no BULLSHIT COMMENTS PLEASE :mitsu:

- THANKS!

Mike W
12-28-2008, 03:02 AM
Usualy the culprit is a busted front differential. The front diff lives inside a housing inside the transfer case. It gets it's oil supply from the transmission. Pop off the transfer case cover, lift out the ring gear carrier. Unbolt the ring gear and separate the front diff housing.

http://roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/quaife/inst-separate.jpg

Pull out the front diff and see if it looks like this:

http://roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/quaife/EVO%20busted%20front%20diff.jpg

A nice new Wavetrac LSD might be in your future if the diff carrier isnt too tore up.

Mike W

pikadosboy
12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
yep is the diff!

RSevoIX
12-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Thanks for your help mike! I will be tearing the tcase to check out that diff soon and please pm me a price on different diff's you guys carry and thanks again for your input

RSevoIX
01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
ok i tore apart the t-case and got to the front lsd.....spider gears are fine but the barrel that the spider gears sit in is cracked and in 10 different places and crumbling apart :'(

rino
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Pics?

RSevoIX
01-03-2009, 09:08 PM
i will have pics tomorrow

skratcher
02-11-2009, 09:00 PM
ouch that shit sounds rough, how many miles do you have on your car if i may ask?