PDA

View Full Version : EDO Performance Evo

vanousad
01-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey all,

Â* Â*My name is Alan Vanous, and I own the EDO Performance Evo. I am a United States Marine stationed down at Camp Pendleton Cali. I am a budget builder but it's a steady income. My original thought when buying the car was to do Rally, but as I grew wiser on the cost of rally I changed my plans to time attack.Â*
Â* Â*I was going to go with WORKS up at Infenion raceway but the drive from Oceanside to get work done was out of the question. I was told I should show up to MOD (Mitsubishi Owners Day). When I got there Pete and Dave told me to head to EDO Performance for some dyno and tuning. My car was the first one on the dyno. Pete from WORKS did the first 3 pulls on the dyno and noticed something was wrong. My car only had 199 whp and 10 psi boost. He told Robert from EDO and the whole team started digging into my car. They found out that my boost solenoid was broke AND bypassed. A fellow service member (Army recruiter) gave me an extra boost solenoid he had sittin around and EDO/WORKS hooked me up with a tune. My car was now getting 300 awhp and 21 psi boost. The problem was we could tell my car has been built before and tuned for aftermarket mods, the mods were taken off but the tune was still left. This being said the car was running SUPER lean.
Â* Â*I am trying to go to as many carshows/events a year that I can until I have the car prepped for race. So far I have been to Subifest (willow springs), Subie invasion/flat four (vegas), Super Autobacs (near Huntington Beach), and 1st MLG Camp Pendleton car show. The only car show that my car entered into to be judged was the 1st MLG. I ended up winning 1st place for best performance mods. I was the only one at the show that came prepared with proof of dyno, and was standing near my car explaining what has been done and what is coming in the near future. But expect me to be at more shows. I have never been on a track with this car. I have been to drag strips in high school but never driven on a road course. HOWEVER....Feb 8th I am heading to Willow Springs for practice. Scott Vanderhiede is going to ride shotty with me to help me around the course. Stay tuned for track times.
Â* Â*The reason I love EDO Performance so much is because they don't give me the run around. I tell them what I want to do and they make it happen. If for some reason they don't think I should do something they let me know. They wont touch my car if they don't think it can handle it. I wanted to push the 350 whp mark but because my car was running lean they told me not until they can see if any damage has been done to the pistons/piston walls. This being said they saved me a ton of money that I couldn't afford to to give up at the time.

Car:
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9

Colors:
Main body white, decals black and red

Current Mods:
WORKS BP-1 package (WORKS slotted rotors, Hawk blue race pads, and WORKS stainless steel brake lines), WORKS 780cc Fuel injectors, WORKS P2 ECU reflash and tune, Tomei expreme exhaust manifold, Tomei down pipe, Tomei O2 sensor, Tomei M7960 prototype turbo, Tomei Heat shield, HKS Hi-power cat back exhaust, Walbro 255 lpm fuel pump, BLITZ boost controller, BLITZ turbo timer, INGS front and rear bumpers painted to color match rest of the car, 2" antenna, NT555 tires, Tein springs, Cusco Zero 2R coilovers, Excedy stage 2 clutch and flywheel, Glowshift boost, oil press, oil temp, water temp, fuel press, egt gauges.

Current Hp:
327 awhp

Current Tq:
280 awtq

Current Boost:
22 psi

Future Mods:
Cosworth 4G63 High Performance Short Block 2.2L, ARP head studs (for current 4G63), Cosworth 272 cams (for current 4G63), Cosworth pistons/con rods (for current 4G63), Perrin intercooler, WORKS stainless steel clutch lines, Robispec 25mm Front Sway Bar, Front Roll Center Kit,Â* Advanced Suspension Package includes Trailing Arm bushings, rear bump steer kit, 26mm rear sway bar, Robispec Full Weld Cage, 6 Defi gauges, stereo relocator kit, New turbo to reach 500+ whp (not sure what one yet), Snow Performance meth injection, HKS stand alone ECU, Hypertune intake maifold, 5Zigen pro-racer ZR+520 rims, Nitto NT01 tires, Sparco pro 2000 seat (x2), Sparco (red) 5 point harness (x2), WORKS 1000cc fuel injectors. That's about all I can think of for now. This list is also subject to change due to finding something else that's better.

About current mods:
The reason I went with the mods that I have right now is because of the oportunity. Robert with EDO Performance called me one day asking if I wanted to have a one of a kind turbo, and my car would be the only one in the states to have it. I obviously couldn't turn it down so I agreed. Well there is no sense in having more power if I can't stop. So I got a brake package from WORKS. I really didn't want the bumpers at first because I wanted to work on performance not looks, but a mistake on my part letting someone else drive my car lead me to have a crunched front bumper that was ducktaped in place. So I bit the bullet and got the INGS front and rear bumpers. I do like the bumpers however now my car sits too low. That's where the Robispec suspension comes into play.

vanousad
01-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Here is the First dyno ever and the latest dyno with the M7960 turbo on a safe tune.

Matt@M1AutoSport
01-09-2009, 03:32 PM
oooo!

nice to see you that your logged on to socalevo on a new account!

welcome!

vanousad
01-09-2009, 03:33 PM
My car and I

vanousad
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Pictures of new turbo

vanousad
01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Engine/heat shield

vanousad
01-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Pics on the dyno

vanousad
01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Different shows

vanousad
01-09-2009, 04:05 PM
the latest work

Stinji
01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Looking good!!Â* How is Ediwin, Robert and Logan taking care of you?

I'll be bringing my car in next week for some more work in preparation for 2009 Time Attack!!!Â* We will be changing out all of my lug studs with some brand new ARP's!!!Â* Then off comes the Turbo and shipped to Forced Performance for my rebuild into the HTA Green and the rest of my power mods!

vanousad
01-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Edwin, Robert, and the rest of the team at EDO do a WODERFULL job. They are constantly trying to help me with any questions I have either car or personal related. I do have to say I trust these guys a lot with my car. I know every time I have something new to do to my car, it's in good hands.

You're gonna have to let me know your race schedule so I can come out there and join you. I do have some other questions for you but it can wait till the BBQ.

Your goin to have some compitition once I get my cosworth 2.2L....We'll have to hit up a track and tear it up.

gsrIXevo
01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
lol... Nice write up... Â* EDO is a pretty good shop. Â*You just have to tell ppl that they dont only do STI's...lol. Â*Plus the owner Edwuen is a stand up guy. Â*I hope to meet you guys at the Car Show / CookOut later this month at EDO. (Jan 24th/31st).

Stinji
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Yup! See you there...its on the 31st!

vanousad
01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Count me in. I look for reasons to drive my car :laugh:

vanousad
01-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Here is a clean pic of my rear endÂ* :-P

LOL I had to crop this picture to make it small enough to post here, but Stinji's car is right in front of mine. I wish I could show the whole picture.

Speaking of, Stinji when Kyle gets back I'll have him make a disc of pics for ya from vegas. He has a few really nice shots of your car.

vanousad
01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Good news all, new ARP head studs on the way. Robert and Logan took a look into my engine today at the BBQ and everything looks good. Every thing is stock however there was no damage from the very lean tune that was left on the car when I bought it. So once we get the head studs on we will be turning up the power. Sunday the 8th we are going to run the car at Willow Springs for test runs, after that we will re-dyno and I'll post the outcome. Please stay tuned.

Sam Smash
02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
looking good

vanousad
02-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey all, just an FYI I HATE THE STEELERS!!!!!!! They screwed over Seattle and now they did the same to the AZ. Sorry to all this offends but I'm a die hard Seattle fan and Pits ruined it for us so I hate them.

I hope to see some of you at Willow Springs this weekend :)

vanousad
02-09-2009, 03:26 AM
Well all, I went to Willow Springs big track today. I wasn't getting the fastest times but I am still getting used to the car. My fastest time was 1:55.5 and I was consistant at 1:57.6. Scott said I was doing well for a new driver and he could tell I wasn't pushing my car too hard. Keep in mind this is my daily driver, so if I crash or have a blow out I'm screwed. But overall we had a great time and I look forward to getting out there a little more after I get new suspension and tires.

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Ok all, here are some of the pictures from the practice at Willow Springs.

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:13 PM
More pics

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Learning the track

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:15 PM
fun stuff

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:17 PM
more fun

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Good bye Mr. S2K

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:20 PM
more cars getting passed

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:21 PM
EDO up front

vanousad
02-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Ok all, I hope you like the pictures. YES I KNOW THERE IS A CROWN VIC IN THERE TOO!!! He was having some fun, leave him alone.

wsmc27
02-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Nice pics, nice write-ups. Good lookin' car!

THANKS for your service!!

Maybe see you at a NASA or SpeedVentures event sometime this year!

O0

Kenny

vanousad
02-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Thank you for the complements and it's no problem at all. I come from a military family and it's the least I could do to help my country.

This track day was my practice. I wanted to see how well I would do and how well my car would hold up. I would like to get new suspension and tires before I head out to another track day. Plans are already in the making for suspension and cage. After I get all that put into the car I will be hitting up more track days with speedventures. There is rumors floating around that EDO Performance is going to sponsor a track event at Willow Springs big track around April time frame, if they do I will be there for sure. Keep in mind that these are rumors, it all depends on what is going at the time.

I'll keep everyone informed if something comes down and I will let you guys know when I do my own track sessions, just in case you would like to come out and join me.