PDA

View Full Version : Updated! Tranny? Trans? Diff? Suggestion is greatly appreciated

Wimploki
01-10-2009, 01:58 AM
hello,

I have a question regarding weird audible sound my cars been having and any insight is greatly appreciated.

I recently had my 15k mile service done at around 14xxx miles and lately I started to notice a weird noise at around 2800 rpm under deceleration in 5th gear. Sometimes in 6th gear around 2500 rpm, although only slightly audible. Maybe I never payed no attention to it, but I've been noticing it a lot more lately. Car now has 15xxx miles. Never launched, raced, or tracked.

Kind of like this sound on the 13th second of the clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4xvsuTQwDQ&feature=related, but in reverse note due to deceleration.

From what i understand/gathered, whine usually occurs when your synchros are going bad and during load/acceleration? This is only audible at a given rpm range and under deceleration.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Update ***

Just a heads up to all...

Appointment was set on 31st of Jan. Took the car in and was picked up today (Feb 07 2009). They had the vehicle for about a whole week and sadly I was informed that it was not a big deal and I should just keep driving it. The sound is very audible in 5th gear under deceleration and sound can also be heard in the rear end section. Maybe the sound is traveling to the rear via driveshaft.

I'm somewhat concerned about this whole situation due to what other problems might arise from it's current state in the future. It's still under warranty due to it's very low mileage. So far it's also been tough exercising my warranty for this issue because the problem as in it's current state yet to be a big concern.

Anyone that owns a MR, pls check your 5th gear under deceleration from 3k rpm down for any noticeable whine. If you have a TBE, it would be very difficult to hear.

Any reply is greatly appreciated. I just want to sort this out if it's really normal.

My vehicle is well maintained and never abused. Never tracked, raced, and not my daily driven vehicle. All fluids have already been replaced.

pikadosboy
01-10-2009, 03:00 AM
the whine noise is on a death T-case/rear diff!

it sound like the T-case is gone!

Massimo Power
01-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Where are you located?

Wimploki
01-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Thank you for your kindly response guys. I just took the car in for diagnosis and now have a set appointment for possible tear down of all 3.

Wimploki
02-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Where are you located?

Why? LA

Wimploki
02-07-2009, 11:07 PM
:'(

GilbertFlores
02-10-2009, 12:04 AM
how is the car doing? any information about it yet?

Wimploki
02-10-2009, 12:08 AM
how is the car doing? any information about it yet?

Nothing new since my latest update. I was just informed that it's not serious and that i should drive it some more till it becomes more obvious. I was also told that my warranty is still good for a long time.

If you ask me, it's obvious enough to make you worry.

GilbertFlores
02-10-2009, 12:12 AM
yeah i hear ya. sucks man hopefully it all works out for you.

Wimploki
02-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks. I just hope that I don't end up having the same issues as Sean Penn have. His post got me all worried.

Sean Penn's post - http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&topic=73544.0

skratcher
02-10-2009, 10:37 AM
if your noise sounds exactly like the one in the video, i think its the transfer case. I just had the same exact problem for the last two months. I finally took it in and the dealer told me my transfer case needed to be replaced. Just got the car back yesterday and it feels brand new again.
My car made the same whiney noise on acceleration and while coasting.

Wimploki
02-10-2009, 10:59 AM
if your noise sounds exactly like the one in the video, i think its the transfer case. I just had the same exact problem for the last two months. I finally took it in and the dealer told me my transfer case needed to be replaced. Just got the car back yesterday and it feels brand new again.
My car made the same whiney noise on acceleration and while coasting.

Which dealership was it taken to? Maybe they would be more accommodating to me in regards to getting it fixed/looked at/ or even replaced.

I need to get this thing taken care of ASAP!

skratcher
02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm located in Chula Vista to be exact. El Cajon mitsubishi dealership took care of the warranty work on my car pretty smoothly. I've heard mixed things about their service department but I haven't experienced any problems so far with them. I tried PM'ing you but i guess I'm at a limit and couldnt send the message. I'll try again tonight.

Wimploki
02-14-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm located in Chula Vista to be exact. El Cajon mitsubishi dealership took care of the warranty work on my car pretty smoothly. I've heard mixed things about their service department but I haven't experienced any problems so far with them. I tried PM'ing you but i guess I'm at a limit and couldnt send the message. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm now hearing it in the low rpms in 6th gear. When time is permitted, I will take it back to SCM and see what they have to say this time around. 100 mile drive hike is no joke especially when your told to bring it back next time around once the condition worsens.

ohhgyeahfasho
02-15-2009, 03:04 AM
i tried to replicate the sound you were hearing on my GSR and my cousin's MR and i havn't had any luck, so that sound isn't normal at all. oohh i just heard the good news about sean penn's case.. ;)

NativeSS
02-15-2009, 03:38 AM
have you checked all the fluids and everything? that shit almost sounds like a metal on metal whine...

Wimploki
02-15-2009, 09:36 AM
have you checked all the fluids and everything? that shit almost sounds like a metal on metal whine...

Yes, all fluids replaced at the dealership 1k miles before it's required serviced (15k mile service). SCM had a special deal going on so i went and got it done.

It's now audible in 6th gear around 2100 rpm. I hope i don't get the shy again from SCM once I schedule a appointment. It's not a fun 100 mile hike when you get turned down for repairs and adding mileage to my non daily driven vehicle.

My best guess is that my transfercase is about to go out.

Thanks for the reply.

Wimploki
02-15-2009, 09:41 AM
i tried to replicate the sound you were hearing on my GSR and my cousin's MR and i havn't had any luck, so that sound isn't normal at all. btw what happened to sean penn's threads? 0.0 it disappeared like MAGIC!

Thanks bro for trying things out. Now i can definitely say that it's not normal. I know that evos are known to make weird noises, but this one surely is not normal. Worst case scenario, my transfercase or diff is on borrowed time.

As for Penns, no idea. It disappeared from SCM thread forum section.

Wimploki
02-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys for your kindly responses. I'm usually at the BP meet on Wed night. I'm the guy that drives the silver Eclipse. If you go there, hit me up. I want to thank you in person for trying to replicate the issue that the car is having.