PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound at start up? Please help

neveronlineten
01-23-2009, 02:19 PM
I recently bought an Evo X and I dont know the sounds of the car very well, but sometimes when I start it up after a sec or two I hear a clunk sound coming from in between the rear doors under the car.

Is this normal? Should I be freaking out? I plan on taking it to the dealership to take care of a few imperfections, but wanted to see what you guy's had to say.

Thank you for your help O0

strat10
01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Are you putting it in gear when you hear it?

neveronlineten
01-25-2009, 10:47 PM
No. I start the car and then after about 2 seconds or so (counting 1 1000, 2 1000) you hear a kind of clunking sound. almost sounds like something moves down and hits something. I took it to the dealer and I dont think they realy checked it out, They said it was the defroster, but its not even on.

strat10
01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Yeah, that doesnt sound right, have you tried sitting in the back when you start it to see if you feel it?

neveronlineten
01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
I can feel it in the peddles and when I am sitting in the back I can feel it in the floor board the problem is when I move where I am it seems to move too. When outside the car it seems to come from under the rear seats, but I cant see anything moving???

When I am in the drivers seat it sounds like its near the right front wheel but outside of the car with the hood up you cant really hear it... I am usually pretty good about locating sounds (I did this a lot with my S which made lots of noises too), but I cant locat the source of this sound.

cy08x
01-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Are you putting it in gear when you hear it?

I have a GSR and i hear a noise putting it in gear, I'm guessing you hear it too? normal?

evopaul
01-27-2009, 12:34 AM
It's a freaking mitsubishi !

neveronlineten
01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Someone on EVO M said it was the ABS, which makes sense and explaines why the sound seems to move. The thing I dont get is Alvins (forget his screen name) and ErroR's (Dave) cars dont make this noise.

Thanks evopaul... Your post helps a lot....LOL

NRG
01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
^^my car doesn't make the noise you described either but occassionally it will make a weird noise when I am cranking the engine over. But the noise "seems" to be coming from the driver side front wheel well area.

neveronlineten
01-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Took it to the dealer again and they said the sound is coming from the rear diff pump. Tech suggested driving it for a while longer to see if it goes away. Pump seems to be working fine, just noisy?

Thanks for the help though guys :)

cy08x
01-28-2009, 07:28 PM
sounds like a load of horse shIt from the dealer, to get you to go away for a while. I also own a toyota and the service the dealer give is great, wish mitsu was like that

strat10
01-29-2009, 04:08 PM
I sat there this morning listening for that hoise, didnt hear anything under my car.

neveronlineten
01-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Well the dealer knew I was not trying to drop the car off when I was there. I was just talking to the salesman and talking to the tech and then I showed them the noise. I did not bring the car into service. He said drive it til I do the first oil change and when I bring it in if its still making the noise they will check it out again and look into replacing the pump.

strat10
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Does the sound you are hearing happen right when the passenger airbag light goes on? I hear a definate "click"

The0ne
02-09-2009, 10:21 PM
^^my car doesn't make the noise you described either but occassionally it will make a weird noise when I am cranking the engine over.Â* But the noise "seems" to be coming from the driver side front wheel well area.

haha I was going to say the exact same thing. I'm not overly concern about the "noise" as it doesn't appear to be affecting the car.