PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem... We all need a little help sometimes..

Massimo Power
02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Hey guys,

We did a clutch in a customers car, ACT MB7-XTSS .

About a week later he tells me how its hard to get into first gear when he first gets going. So i did the right thing and went ot his house and adjusted the clutch for him since it wasnt done when the clutch was being installed since he said it felt fine. The car still feels like it isnt disengaging the clutch correctly.

I get into the car and push the pedal in.. start the car... then i release the clutch and you can hear the tranny's front bearing start moving. Then you push the clutch back in once the car is on.. and it is still moving... you can still hear it spinning... once you push it towards first gear if you do it by slowly adding preasure you can hear the bearing stop and then it goes into first gear and any other gears just fine..

From that demonstration i can tell that the clutch is just not disengaging fully.

My Question:
Why is it not disengaging fully even after a clutch adjustment? The clutch was adjusted almost as high as it can go. This is our 30+ clutch install with our first problem ever. Im pretty sure this isnt a labor related issue but if it is I'll be more than glad to take care of it.

Any oppinions?

Let me know... thanx guys

Massimo Power
02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Customer said he already did and they said to adjust the clutch and that would fix the problem. It was already adjusted and still the same problem.

FUEL
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Take it to them then.... they get this stuff all the time.

Massimo Power
02-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Waiting for a response form Daryl

Massimo Power
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Response from ACT:

Double Check the Adjustment

Bleed the Hydrolic System

going to talk to the customer, if anyone else has any experiance or help feel free to chime in.. thanx!

kambodianboi
02-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Probably air gaps in the clutch line or clutch line is flexing when pedal is press? Worth getting some SS clutch lines :D

dastallion951
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM
had similar type situation which lead mauricio to my clutch disc breakin into 15 pieces....had clutch pedal adjusted, is this act clutch the street disc with upgraded pressure plate? thats what clutch ive had....i dunno gettin motor rebuilt so hopefully that fixes it.

pikadosboy
02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,

We did a clutch in a customers car, ACT MB7-XTSS .

About a week later he tells me how its hard to get into first gear when he first gets going. So i did the right thing and went ot his house and adjusted the clutch for him since it wasnt done when the clutch was being installed since he said it felt fine. The car still feels like it isnt disengaging the clutch correctly.

I get into the car and push the pedal in.. start the car... then i release the clutch and you can hear the tranny's front bearing start moving. Then you push the clutch back in once the car is on.. and it is still moving... you can still hear it spinning... once you push it towards first gear if you do it by slowly adding preasure you can hear the bearing stop and then it goes into first gear and any other gears just fine..

From that demonstration i can tell that the clutch is just not disengaging fully.

My Question:
Why is it not disengaging fully even after a clutch adjustment? The clutch was adjusted almost as high as it can go. This is our 30+ clutch install with our first problem ever. Im pretty sure this isnt a labor related issue but if it is I'll be more than glad to take care of it.

Any oppinions?

Let me know... thanx guys
ill check for leaks on the clutch line! or bleed it.

pikadosboy
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
had similar type situation which lead mauricio to my clutch disc breakin into 15 pieces....had clutch pedal adjusted, is this act clutch the street disc with upgraded pressure plate? thats what clutch ive had....i dunno gettin motor rebuilt so hopefully that fixes it.
What?

dastallion951
02-02-2009, 02:05 PM
what do u mean what

Massimo Power
02-02-2009, 02:06 PM
lol read over what you wrote earlier.. i kinda dont get it either.. lol

Azian
02-02-2009, 02:16 PM
lmao^^^

dastallion951
02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
well the clutch im runnin was the act hdss street disc with upgraded pressure plate....my disc broke within 4k miles...never launched nor beaten on....try what they recommend massimo bleed clutch and readjust, if u need more adjustment theres what i believe is the clutch pedal switch if u need more adjustment....

Azian
02-02-2009, 02:54 PM
little better lmao^^^

dastallion951
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
thats funny comin from MR exhaust leak up here ^^^^ hahaha...

Azian
02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I didnt have an exhaust leak I had a boost leak lol^^^

dastallion951
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
its a boost leak if its before the throttle body, what about the massive exhaust leak i tried to help u fix on ur old downpipe..............hahah just givin ya a hard time ben hahah hows the evo runnin

4G63 FEVER
02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
You have a PM on this.

pikadosboy
02-02-2009, 09:56 PM
well the clutch im runnin was the act hdss street disc with upgraded pressure plate....my disc broke within 4k miles...never launched nor beaten on....try what they recommend massimo bleed clutch and readjust, if u need more adjustment theres what i believe is the clutch pedal switch if u need more adjustment....
wow ! 1000 times better. LOL.

Massimo Power
02-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanx guys...

I went ahead and bled the system and it did help a bit. the gear goes in smoother now when first taking off.

And btw dastallion...

Same thing happened to me with my ACT HDSS. I only had 420whp and 340tq...

:(

But happy with the solid disk now.. :)

dastallion951
02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
well ur luckily massimo that u had 420 hp when u busted urs, i was under 300 hp imagine my shocks, but its all good i got some upgraded stainless steel upper and lower clutch lines comin for my evo, wanna make sure it runs n shifts perfectly.

Tech@ACT
02-02-2009, 11:37 PM
well ur luckily massimo that u had 420 hp when u busted urs, i was under 300 hp imagine my shocks, but its all good i got some upgraded stainless steel upper and lower clutch lines comin for my evo, wanna make sure it runs n shifts perfectly.

It's also worth mentioning that the both times that you've had issues with our parts we've stepped up and taken care of the problem and in one instance went above and beyond our warranty and paid for the labor charges incurred by you.

Tech@ACT
02-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Mauricio glad that helped. Keep me posted if the problem occurs again.

dastallion951
02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
well im not startin a debate tech@act, however both times with two clutch failures all thats been warrantied was just the clutch disc only ...im not here to argue like when we talked on the phone, as long as i have no more clutch problem u guys wont hear from me...but back on track.. glad to hear u fixed the problem massimo.

Wimploki
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Getting my ACT Street and Street Flywheel done. Hope that it doesn't grenade itself w/ no mods done except drop in intake.

Anyhow, bleeding is always a good thing before adjustments.

Azian
02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
its a boost leak if its before the throttle body, what about the massive exhaust leak i tried to help u fix on ur old downpipe..............hahah just givin ya a hard time ben hahah hows the evo runnin
its berry nioceee

AlphaKennyBody
02-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Whoa whoa.... I have the same problem... i adjusted the clutch and all but you can clearly see the same results at the first post..

Hell even sometimes when the clutch is it... if i slightly start to apply pressure to the stick going into first i can see my car starting to roll.... but then stops. Help me out...

90AWDSM
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
^^^

Same with me, and has been like that for almost 20+k miles... Hasnt affected my performance or how it engages the gears, but all i hear is some chattering...

If i can make it out to the Meet this friday, I'll show ya guys.!

one4
11-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm bumping this because I have the same disengagement issues. I have a ss lower line and just got my xtss installed 600 miles ago. When I first got the car back first was a little hard to get into so I adjusted the pedal. It helped, but the last few days seems like it has gotten hard again. I have to put it in 2nd or 3rd, before going into first. Yesterday I couldn't get it into any gear so I just held the clutch in for like 10 sec and it finally let me in 3rd. The pedal feels fine, but the car does roll slightly when trying to put it in gear. I've been in contact with Mauricio and the clutch may just not be broken in fully yet. I just don't want to destroy my tranny trying to break a clutch in. Weird thing too... Sometimes it goes in easy if im slighty rolling sometimes. I don't see any fluid around the master or slave cylinder and I don't have a restrictor pill in the slave. When the car is going i can shift no prob and when the car is off it goes into gear no prob. This is my dd and need to solve this issue asap.

HMatt
11-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Yeah, it's not disengaging properly.

Bleed the system, or there is a writeup on here on how to adjust the pedal. You can unscrew one of the switches a little bit so you can get a little more travel in your pedal.

one4
11-26-2010, 06:44 AM
I've already ajusted it almost all the way... The switch and the push rod. I'm going to bleed it this weekend. Hopefully it's just a little air. The pedal feels normal which is weird. Wouldn't it get stuck or have loss of pressure if there was air in the line?

one4
11-26-2010, 04:46 PM
so i started the car up just now and let it warm up... havnt since wednesday. when the car was cold it went in to gear with a some resistance, but it didnt pop in or grind in. after it warmed up i had to do the 2nd to 1st trick... i guess it really is just a thick ass clutch that needs to be worn down a bit lol. im going to bleed it anyways to see if it helps.