PDA

View Full Version : Evo X Project: Geno

Chrispettingill
02-16-2009, 01:14 AM
Evo X Project: Geno

I bought my Evo X on Jan 15 2009. I will be upgrading my Evo X and keeping track of my progress on www.myspace.com/chrispettingill/ For those of you that are interested keep an eye on my site, I will keep it as updated as possible. I plan on getting my Evo X Dyno tested on Feb 21st prior to upgrading the Intercooler and AP GT35R Turbo, to see where I am at. After I finish my upgrades I will re-Dyno it and have it tuned by the guys at www.hbspeed.com. After it is tuned I will re-Dyno and post the results of each dyno on the site. You can find pictures of the progress of my Evo X in my images.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/60/l_2652feb158c7488ab69ff7d295c40f7f.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/14/l_db074301e6e943c4846586a530541003.jpg

Current upgrades:
-Injen SP1899P Intake with Upper Intercooler Pipe
-HKS Super SQV Blow off valve

Purchased upgrades:
-Defi 52mm Tachometer
-Defi 52mm Boost Gauge
-GReddy Racing Ti-C Cat-back Exhaust

Future upgrades:
-AMS Front Mount Intercooler
-AMS Lower Intercooler Pipe / Cold Pipe *Polished*
-Agency Power GT35R Twin Scroll Turbo Kit (Still up in the air on this specific turbo)
-C-West GT Wing // APR GTC-200/300 Adjustable Wing (haven't decided which I wanna go with out of the 3)
-Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood

Considering:
-Seibon Carbon Fiber Trunk
-Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors
-AMS Fuel Rail Kit
-GReddy Profec B SpecII Silver Boost Controller
-GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer - SILVER (Assuming I don't decide to get an alarm with a built in timer)

I love opinions and posted this to see what people think about what products/brands I'm using. If you have any suggestions, comments or questions feel free to voice your opinion. This car is going to be my daily driver. I would like to see at least 400 whp, with out losing driveability.

leaveit2bevo
02-16-2009, 01:19 AM
first thing I would do is dump that crap bov and put the stock one back on

HB Evo Owner
02-16-2009, 01:24 AM
^^^
agreed

that BOV suuucks.

vial8or
02-16-2009, 02:26 AM
^^+ what they say

Also, from the looks of it, seems you don't have an intake either.
Should try looking into cams as well.
With that turbo you will def. see over 400 even on pump

inex22
02-16-2009, 03:28 AM
^^+ what they say

Also, from the looks of it, seems you don't have an intake either.
Should try looking into cams as well.
With that turbo you will def. see over 400 even on pump

he does have an intake.. the Injen intake, you can clearly see the MAF connected to it with the cone filter.

looks like your not planning on any suspension mods... why?
should be your first mod when going for more power.

EDIT: and why the HKS BOV?? stock BOV can retain almost 30psi.. your $400 or so went down the drain.. you could've spent that on coils or your exhaust.

vial8or
02-16-2009, 03:37 AM
^^Oh my bad.
I wrote that on my sidekick, and I have images turned off on the browser

And E-85 :)

Chrispettingill
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
A lot of concern dealing with the blow off valve. I will say this, it was cosmetic. I am not all that happy with it right now though. I do feel like it may be leaking air at high RPMS. Although taking it out when I am about to upgrade the turbo doesn't seem all that reasonable. The reason I got it was to extend the life of the turbo, insure that too much pressure doesn't build up. As for suspension, I hear a lot of people barking about this one. I agree it cant go without attention. However spending 2,500 on Coilovers.. I will pass for now.. The ones I looked at were the JIC Magic FL-TAR Race Coilovers. Yes, I'm sure if I looked around I could possible find cheaper ones. However, atm I would rather have the money spent on my intercooler, turbo, exhaust and the pipes to go along with them.

Chrispettingill
02-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I was kinda hoping to get some feed back about the following:

-Agency Power GT35R Twin Scroll Turbo Kit
-AMS Fuel Rail Kit
-GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer - SILVER

I haven't purchased them yet, however I will be doing so in the near future. So any feed back on these items would be great.

leaveit2bevo
02-16-2009, 11:18 AM
The reason I got it was to extend the life of the turbo, insure that too much pressure doesn't build up.

.........hahaha...........hahaha...............hah aha...........hahaha.......

Chrispettingill
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
The reason I got it was to extend the life of the turbo, insure that too much pressure doesn't build up.

I can deal with constructive criticism. However a punk kid, with a fat gf and what ride are you sporting sir? You lack pictures to show that you even own a car period. So please go jump off a bridge. If you have something productive to say by all means, however I'm sure you don't so please stop trolling my thread.

nijikon5
02-16-2009, 12:50 PM

I can deal with constructive criticism. However a punk kid, with a fat gf and what ride are you sporting sir? You lack pictures to show that you even own a car period. So please go jump off a bridge. If you have something productive to say by all means, however I'm sure you don't so please stop trolling my thread.

Bevo has a Evo IX SE. Before that he was one of the original 03 Evo8 owners. Aftermarket BOVs do not work well on Evos at all. I want to say the reason he was laughing was because Aftermarket BOVs such as the HKS SSQV has been known to cause turbo surge? Anyways, you can't go wrong with the stock DV, especially because Evo X's have the aluminum one like 8 MRs and 9s do.

HB Evo Owner
02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
^^^
+

HKS BOV is just a really bad one. If you wanted aftermarket you should just buy the GFB or a Forge Bov

leaveit2bevo
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM

You lack pictures to prove your gf isnt fat!!!!!

muddyIX
02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
^^^^^ hahahaha

Chrispettingill
02-16-2009, 03:08 PM
So, you are saying that because I am allowing the air to exit and releasing air presure there isnt enough exhaust leaving the engine to spin the turbo effecient? I am just trying to understand. I know the BOV can be adjusted, so if I make it require more pressure before it allows some air to escape, it will continue to have a effecient ammount of air pressure going to the engine so that the exhaust side air pressure is effecient enough to keep the turbo spinning without causing too much back pressure on my turbo..

Right now I plan on upgrading my turbo to a AP GT35R. I want to insure that I dont have too much back pressure on my turbo, while continueing to have enough pressure to not cause this turbo surge.

If what I am saying makes no sence or I am missunderstanding, please feel free to break it down barny. Rather be called a noob and understand how this portion of my car is working.

Chrispettingill
02-16-2009, 03:17 PM

You lack pictures to prove your gf isnt fat!!!!!

LOL, true enough. I am currently single, my high standards have caused me to drop my previous ex. She was by no means fat, however she was.. annoying and lacked maturity. Sex was not as important to me as the avoidance of her bs. ;-) Now that we got that out of the way, maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I just was upset, because I will openly admit I am not very educated on the functionality of cars. I have owned a Silvia and Skyline before, but I never got into hooking them up. They did their job and I was happy with them. I drove my silvia until I blew the engine up and baught a skyline.. When I left okinawa I had to sell it, because I couldnt afford to get it shipped back to the states and I def couldnt afford making it street legal.. Now I have my Evo X, and I have some money to play with and I am trying to make educated decisions on what to do with it. I am 100% happy with my intake, however the bov is questionable. I feel like it could be releasing too much pressure, and even leaking air at high rpms.. I plan on having my Evo X tuned by hbspeed and I was hoping to have them take a look and adjust my BOV accordingly. From what I have heard previously, BOV can increase the longevity of your turbo. Which is why I got mine.. understanding that I wasnt going to keep the stock turbo.(stock turbo not needing a bov). If I am under the wrong assumption let me know. I came here for advice and help and I take all of the comments into consideration. However if you say hks bov sucks.. im not inclined to listen. explain why they suck or explain why it wouldnt be required with my future AP GT35R Twin Scroll turbo kit. Thanks for the constructive critisism I have recieved thus far!

leaveit2bevo
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
The hks is a pull type bov and it has never worked well on evos. The stock bov for the power your trying to push is more than enough because its metal and it doesnt cause the turbo to surge like the HKS will. All turbo cars come stock with a BOV its just generally called a DV or diverter valve because the air is not "blown off" but diverted back into the intake track to keep the ecu and maf happy. So who ever told you that stuff about increasing longevity of the turbo or reducing pressure was blowing smoke up your ass. Take it off and sell it and put the stocker back on and all of your driveability issues will be solved.

GokuSSJ4
02-16-2009, 07:54 PM
you definitely don't need a turbo kit like you have mentioned in order to accomplish your goals. Save some of the money you had plan on spending on that kit and get the one from FP (FP red) n if i recall correctly Sean 1Wkd ?? had one for sale not too long ago.
Also if you're actually serious about getting mods that will work and not just serve the purpose of "show and no go" n you would like feedback from the peanut gallery, i would start with; what's your budget, and plans for the car ? n go from there..

spdracerut
02-16-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd wait for the Garrett Gt3076 to come out for the X. It should do well over 400whp on pump and close to 500whp on race gas. And the money you save by not doing a full turbo kit, you can buy the suspension.

Also, forget about the wing. Unless you balance it with a front splitter, it'll just upset the aerodynamic balance of the car and probably make it understeer like a pig in high speed corners. Plus the extra drag will just slow you down.

Chrispettingill
02-16-2009, 10:51 PM
you definitely don't need a turbo kit like you have mentioned in order to accomplish your goals. Save some of the money you had plan on spending on that kit and get the one from FP (FP red) n if i recall correctly Sean 1Wkd ?? had one for sale not too long ago.
Also if you're actually serious about getting mods that will work and not just serve the purpose of "show and no go" n you would like feedback from the peanut gallery, i would start with; what's your budget, and plans for the car ? n go from there..

Ok, first of in my original post I said what my plan was. Budget is not being mentioned online, but if I can afford the AP GT35R, then you should understand I have a decent pot to play with. I want to keep they car as my daily driver and get at least 400 whp without losing driveability.

I have looked at the Forced performance FP Red Turbo. It is just the turbo it self from what I have seen. It says that it can sustain well over 35psi of boost pressure, but I havent seen what the AP GT35R can handle. I also don't know what is a safe level of boost for a daily driver.

The AP GT35R comes with the following: 1 x Twin Scroll GT35R Turbo, 2 x Tial 44mm External Wastegates, Oil Lines w/Fittings, Water Lines w/Fittings, 1 x Twin Scroll Header, 2 x Wastegate Dump Tubes, 1 x 3 inch Downpipe, 1 x 2piece Upper Intercooler Pipe, 1 x Turbo Suction Pipe.

Yes it is a lot more cost wise, however you get a lot more as well. I would love to hear peoples opinions on these 2 turbos.

spdracerut
02-16-2009, 11:53 PM
If all you're shooting for is 400whp, get the Blouch Dom II turbo, some cosworth cams, the regular bolt-ons, and you're over 400whp on 91 octane. No need to go to a huge/relatively slow spooling GT35 good for 600whp. Not to mention, you'll save a lot of money. You did imply a budget by saying that you would not have money for the suspension at this time.

So we're saying, just get a turbo like the Garrett (when it is released), or the Blouch, or the FP Red [Garrett would be my choice though], and you can also get suspension (such as the JICs or KW Variant 3s) for the price of the AP GT35 Kit.

Chrispettingill
02-17-2009, 12:21 AM
If all you're shooting for is 400whp, get the Blouch Dom II turbo, some cosworth cams, the regular bolt-ons, and you're over 400whp on 91 octane. No need to go to a huge/relatively slow spooling GT35 good for 600whp. Not to mention, you'll save a lot of money. You did imply a budget by saying that you would not have money for the suspension at this time.

So we're saying, just get a turbo like the Garrett (when it is released), or the Blouch, or the FP Red [Garrett would be my choice though], and you can also get suspension (such as the JICs or KW Variant 3s) for the price of the AP GT35 Kit.

But to be fair, I would have to purchase the other piping I wouldn't be receiving with these other turbos. I don't want to have a bottle neck in my piping. I dont know if that makes since, but I dont see the point in upgrading some of the pipes ie. from the cat back and not upgrade the exhaust manifold, down pipe, etc. I think honestly I am going to hold off on the turbo. I was very excited about the AP turbo, because it came with a lot more then a bolt on turbo. It came with pieces I already wanted to upgrade packaged in.

You did say "relatively slow spooling", however from what I heard the Agency Power Twin Scroll GT35R Turbo kit actually spooled up quickly.

leaveit2bevo
02-17-2009, 01:08 AM
The point is that the simplicity you gain with going with a bolt on faster spooling turbo is going to give you a lot less headaches than that fancy twin scroll 35r with dual wastegates. And since those other turbos mentioned are boltons you dont need anything else except maybe water and oil lines which would come with the kit. Using the stock manifold will net you better reliability because its cast not to mention faster spool especially since your looking for a 400whp street car. That 35r kit is over kill and you will get a better power band with the bolt on turbos mentioned.

j_nizzle
02-17-2009, 01:36 AM
in regards to your turbo upgrade choice, you seem to be reading too much into what the internet says rather than actually having first hand accounts of what power can be made. Congrats on owning several high-end Japanese performance cars but in all honesty, have you ever had a 400 whp or so car? do you have an idea of what that must feel like to daily drive? im not trying to criticize you but trying to get you to see your choices are not so black and white when it comes to modding.

im sure, in owning cars and possibly modifying them, you've realized that when one area is altered, other's performance will be effected as well.

for example, your evo, out of the box, was suppose to perform based on manufacturer's figures and such. when you mod for simply power, you will lose the drivability from stock and other areas such as suspension as well because your car will not brake or turn as quickly as before. furthermore, you'd be putting stress on the transmission and other parts of the drivetrain (Clutch is a biggie especially for high HP cars).

Most of the posters in this thread are posting from experience and first hand accounts...your mod path seems to reflect something out of Import Tuner or of the like and that's why people are less enthusiastic and supportive.

Turbo wise, whatever requires you to change/buy more, is probably not worth it in the long run. Mitsubishi spent $X engineering most of these parts to work well together (like the stock exhaust manifold) so you have to understand the insight when a company like AP goes out and hires a welder to tack up some piping to take on a gt35 that most purists wouldnt go for it...

The Tach...screams "RICER" and is really unnecessary...in almost any car.

The wing...unnecessary, but if you're buying it for show to match the other CF parts you plan to buy, more power to you.

The BOV issue has been beat to death, but my opinion lies with many of the other posters.

The turbo timer is a personal choice, but again...is really unnecessary

The Electronic Boost Controller...we live in a great day and age where a tuner that uses ECUFlash can tune your car's boost with solenoids and software...it's an expensive piece of electronic junk you dont need.

You mentioned that this car is your daily driver and you want 400whp with good drivability...judging from your [potential] modlist, you're going for more "ooh's" and "ahh's" when you list your mods than anything else. it's just a clusterfuck of "evo" brandnames...I think the angle you should view this project from is start with a reliable tuner(MANY on the boards to choose from)...and build off what the tuner says you should get to fulfill your goals. i think that works best.

Goodluck in your build.

Wing

Chrispettingill
02-17-2009, 08:28 AM
You have some good points J_nizzle, however you are misdirecting some of your opinions. What brand I choose to go with really doesn't matter. If I choose to go with a bigger name over a less known and pay a little more that is my choice. There is a reason why I do this, and no one on the forum is going to talk me out of that. Nor should it be anyone business as to how much I spend on my items. I didn't come here to have people complain about my mod vendors like as if they are stuck up pricks. Now comparing 2 different brands in the since of performance, reliability, or over kill is different. I have not made my decision on which turbo I am getting. This is largely in part of the feed back I have received from the forums.

you said
"The Tach...screams "RICER" and is really unnecessary...in almost any car. "

The Tach screams I CANT SEE YOU! I like having eyes on my tach, which is why I am pulling it up onto the dash where I can see it. My hand rest naturally on the steering wheel blocking view of it. I also lose sight of it in turns. Maybe viewing or having access to viewing your tach is either not an issue or you just don't need to see it. However I like having access to my Tach. your Ricer comments screams I am being a hater. Who cares if I get a tach there. I did not come to these forums to hear wah wah wah. I came here for good sound advice on things. I have listened to the argument that suspension is important. I have done some research on the prices of things online. I am not a person who post randomness for the purpose of showing off. There are a decent amount of evo's out there(almost all at this point) that are modded better then mine. I am here to see peoples opinions and then make MY DECISION. Yes, the lack of experience may end up biting me in the ass. When I push 400+ WHP I might find the Evo a lot harder to control, at which point I will be back on here saying you guys were right and start getting advice on suspension. (assuming I still don't get anything prior to upgrading the rest of my ish)

I guess I thought about this forum as a group of guys/gals that post together to trade information with people who share similar hobbies. Not a place to come and get beat up by "elitist" who claim to know everything and treat the newer people on the forums like idiots. If I claimed to know as much I wouldn't be here asking for advice and opinions. I only ask that you keep it constructive. Leave your ricer comments in your brain housing group.

spdracerut
02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
But to be fair, I would have to purchase the other piping I wouldn't be receiving with these other turbos.

In addition to a bolt-on replacement turbo, it'd be advisable to get an intake, and I'd go with AMS cast exhaust elbow/downpipe combo.Â* I'd pick the AMS due to it being cast, i.e. reliable, and also the flexpipe section helps with reliability.

Further, using a replacement turbo lets you keep the stock cast manifold which will not crack.Â* The ONLY tubular manifold I would trust not to crack is a Full-Race.Â* Also, there's a LOT of factory heat shielding to keep temperatures in check under the hood and to keep things around the turbo from catching on fire (brake lines, transmission/tcase lines, electrical wiring, etc).Â* The turbo kit you're looking at doesn't seem to take much into account with regards to thermal management.

You want a DD (i.e. reliable) with 400whp.Â* The Garrett 3076 will do that on 91 octane and should put down close to 500whp on race gas.Â* And you'll have max realibility.Â* And you'll save money to boot.Â* And you'll have a better powerband with less lag and better response.

IMO, the only reason to be looking at the GT35 kit is if you're aiming for 600whp.

Chrispettingill
02-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the post spdracerut. I went out and did a search on the Garrett 3076 I see it is a 500hp turbo, which should make 400 whp. The question I have is, if I buy this turbo and push it will it cause problems? When I was thinking of the AP GT35R I wasnt planning on pushing it to its limits. However the Garrett 3076 would need to be pushed to meet 400 whp. I don't know enough about turbos to know if pushing it to its max or near max will cause problems for the turbos in the future or if they can sustain that kind of treatment.

Next question is what is the different in ball bearing turbos and twin scroll turbos. If anyone has any sites that I could do some reading and get spun up on some good knowledge that would help too. I am not lazy just a little behind the power curve. ;-)

spdracerut
02-17-2009, 11:16 AM
The 3076 isn't really 'breathing' that hard at 400whp.Â* The limit of a turbo is its shaft speed which is why some of the Garrett turbos are now available with a turbo speed sensor; one more instrument to help tuners really see what is going on.

An extreme case of the 3076 is 570whp on a SR20 in a 240sx.Â* That's at the extreme limits for the turbo.Â* But ~500whp should be doable on race gas.Â* S2000 guys are getting over 500whp with the 3076.

Here's info on the Garrett drop-in:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/379489-bolt-twin-scroll-garrett-gt30r-turbo.html

As for turbo knowledge:
www.turbobygarrett.com

leaveit2bevo
02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the post spdracerut. I went out and did a search on the Garrett 3076 I see it is a 500hp turbo, which should make 400 whp. The question I have is, if I buy this turbo and push it will it cause problems? When I was thinking of the AP GT35R I wasnt planning on pushing it to its limits. However the Garrett 3076 would need to be pushed to meet 400 whp. I don't know enough about turbos to know if pushing it to its max or near max will cause problems for the turbos in the future or if they can sustain that kind of treatment.

Next question is what is the different in ball bearing turbos and twin scroll turbos. If anyone has any sites that I could do some reading and get spun up on some good knowledge that would help too. I am not lazy just a little behind the power curve. ;-)

your stock turbo is a thrust bearing twin scroll, twin scroll meaning that the hot side of the turbo is split into two sections so the exhaust pulses are separated to help the turbo spool faster. A ball bearing turbo uses ball bearings in the center cartridge to spool the turbo faster, that 35r kit your talking about is both a ball bearing and twin scroll. As for the tach thing common you can hear the engine when its in high rpm and just shift nobody has one of those big ben tach things it just makes you look like an asshole.

Chrispettingill
02-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I hear what everyone is saying about the tach. I even said I hated doing it when I put it on order.. but I listen to my music ridiculously loud :( That isn't a cosmetic upgrade.. however.. I will think about it.. I don't wanna be a duechebag. I just wanna see my tach :O

Evolutionized
02-18-2009, 01:54 AM
if u need a tach you should just stick to an AUTO

from reading this thread.. sorry if u dont wanna be a duche u kinda already are

you post the same shit blabla and your obviously mad ur not hearing everyone being as excited as you with your poor mod path....

you live and learn mod your car how u want. then you might understand first hand what everyone has be telling you this whole time..

+ ohh big deal u cant post ur budget ( super secret cuz we really care) its only to better ur mod path and HELP YOU. do we give a shit how much money u have... NO

hope u build ur evo how u want, because obviously everyones insight is not enough for you and whoever you talked to about ur super sweet BOV is smarter then a whole online community of evos with first hand experience.

good luck on ur build. and no more questions. cuz it seems like ur a one way street.

JayDub514
02-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Honestly...

From reading all your posts, you already know everything about your car and potential upgrades. Are you looking for someone to cradle your nuts and give you a pat on the back?

All EVERYONE is (was) trying to do is help you out by offering you recommendations and ways to save you some money to meet the goals you stated. So instead of taking constructive criticism you decide to come out Mr. defensive. Classic example of what happens when a ricer at heart gets a new car.

Another one of those "know it alls". I just hope you roll out to the many socal meets with your BOV, Tach, and your oh so mighty and costs XXX amount (which i can't disclose) ATP GT35r.

Chrispettingill
02-18-2009, 03:58 PM
It would probably be in your best interest if I didn't show up to a meet. You guys are childish lil pricks. I came here for opinions from enthusiast, not bashing from "elitist". I could care less what is cool, or what isn't. I don't talk about my financial situation, because its not smart to online. As for your bs, I asked for opinions. I didn't ask what I should do. I have listened to some and dismissed others. This is my car and I will do as I please. Your emo self pride must be hurt, because I don't jump on whatever you say. Go fishing, jump of a bridge, maybe try masturbation. Get off my nuts. K THX

yobless
02-18-2009, 04:15 PM
It would probably be in your best interest if I didn't show up to a meet. You guys are childish lil pricks. I came here for opinions from enthusiast, not bashing from "elitist". I could care less what is cool, or what isn't. I don't talk about my financial situation, because its not smart to online. As for your bs, I asked for opinions. I didn't ask what I should do. I have listened to some and dismissed others. This is my car and I will do as I please. Your emo self pride must be hurt, because I don't jump on whatever you say. Go fishing, jump of a bridge, maybe try masturbation. Get off my nuts. K THX

Anybody remember GokuSSJ5 or whatever his screen name was?Â* This guy posts exactly like him :D

ErroR
02-18-2009, 04:32 PM
This shit is getting old. Keep it civil or it will be removed.

Evo_Hustler
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Fix up YOUR car like YOU want to. Â*depending on what you want out of it. Â*Yeah it's true that you don't need a fancy big GT35r to get you Â*a 400whp street Evo X, but almost everyone here on SoCal are not a big fans of the slow spooling 35r. Â*Some people like it and some don't, there just happens to be bigger # of people here that don't. Â*And there is nothing wrong, they just prefer a different style fast spool very good WHP #s on stock sized turbos(400-500whp like FPred), but these turbos run out of breath on the high RPMs and will max out there power between 400-500s whp range. Â*While the 35r only hits even stronger on those high RPMs and with more boost you can have a 650+WHP Evo, with proper supporting mods ofcourse like a fully build longblock and such. Â*Again it's up to YOU what you want. Â*But I myself prefer BIG turbos anyday! Â*So if you are fortunate and have the money$ to play with it like that, Â*I say go ahead and do it. Â*You will not regret it and you will have lots of fun

Chrispettingill
02-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok, what is up with 1st gear.. SERIOUSLY. My friend has a evo 8 and his dont struggle near as bad as mine in first. I have brought it up to 6000 rpms and dropped it and it still bogs down hard.. :( Any fixes or suggestions on this one?

Evolutionized
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM

i suggest u dont threaten people online. i take this threat personally and for ur best intrest i would edit your post.

but who are you to take in people suggestions...

Chrispettingill
02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Has anyone tried the Valentine1 radar detectors? Wondering how many false positives you get, and if anyone has been pulled over with one of those yet?

Also, I am looking for a alarm system with GPS and a built in turbo timer. Any suggestions on this aspect?

For those who have given me much to think about, thanks for your help. It may not seem like I was listening, but I was. I just like asking questions, because it allows me to better understand your answers. :)

For now, I am working on cosmetic upgrades. Just having fun with the new car. I plan on adding a AMS Intercooler and Cosworth Cams to my list of upgrades. I will hold off on the turbo upgrade. I don't want to change too much on the car, seeing as its still new and all. I just finished getting my GReddy Ti-C Cat back exhaust put in. I love that exhaust. :D

I am interested in seeing how other Evo X's put their gauges in their cars. I am going to put 1 on my steering console and 3 under my ac controls. p.s. I am not installing the Tach. :oops:

Thanks again for the help from those that have been supportive! ;-)

vial8or
02-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I had the valentine 1, idk about it.

I mean it depends how you drive. The way my neighborhood is setup, the cops are super hidden, and by the time the radar goes off, they've all ready got you. The only real good thing about it, is it detects the bike ones right away.
If you can get it for real cheap, why not. Other than that, it's not what you'll expect

Mr PurpleEvo
02-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Evo X Project: Geno

I bought my Evo X on Jan 15 2009. I will be upgrading my Evo X and keeping track of my progress on www.myspace.com/chrispettingill/ For those of you that are interested keep an eye on my site, I will keep it as updated as possible. I plan on getting my Evo X Dyno tested on Feb 21st prior to upgrading the Intercooler and AP GT35R Turbo, to see where I am at. After I finish my upgrades I will re-Dyno it and have it tuned by the guys at www.hbspeed.com. After it is tuned I will re-Dyno and post the results of each dyno on the site. You can find pictures of the progress of my Evo X in my images.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/60/l_2652feb158c7488ab69ff7d295c40f7f.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/14/l_db074301e6e943c4846586a530541003.jpg

Current upgrades:

Purchased upgrades:
-Defi 52mm Tachometer
-Defi 52mm Boost Gauge

Future upgrades:
-Agency Power GT35R Twin Scroll Turbo Kit (Still up in the air on this specific turbo)
-C-West GT Wing // APR GTC-200/300 Adjustable Wing (haven't decided which I wanna go with out of the 3)

Considering:
-AMS Fuel Rail Kit
-GReddy Full Auto Turbo Timer - SILVER (Assuming I don't decide to get an alarm with a built in timer)

I love opinions and posted this to see what people think about what products/brands I'm using. If you have any suggestions, comments or questions feel free to voice your opinion. This car is going to be my daily driver. I would like to see at least 400 whp, with out losing driveability.

hey niice mods !!

you interested in a brand new Carbon fiber hood for the evo X...

here's the link to the hood ;)
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=37&?topic=73925.new#new

Chrispettingill
02-25-2009, 07:53 AM
I already have a Seibon Carbon Fiber hood and trunk on order, thanks anyways. :O

antics22
02-25-2009, 11:00 AM
i have a greddy profec B specII boost controller in black if you're interested. Its complete with box, manuals and everything...

STIH8TER
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM

I second to that. Keep it quiet.

maddmatt
02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I have the Valentine1 and it works better than most detectors; there will always be false positives but at least you can tell where (i.e. front, side or back) they are.

One serious downside; the navi system seems to generate the same light frequency as a police laser. So the Valentine1 sometimes stays on continuously... I need to reposition it so it doesn't "see" the navi...

Chrispettingill
02-25-2009, 06:46 PM

I second to that. Keep it quiet.

I have be considering taking it out for the stock one. At this point it is purely cosmetic. I enjoy it, but maybe in the future I will take it out and see what kind of performance difference there is. I have heard a lot of input on the BOV, but for now I am happy with leaving it in there. FOR NOW. ;-)

Chrispettingill
02-25-2009, 06:52 PM
I have the Valentine1 and it works better than most detectors; there will always be false positives but at least you can tell where (i.e. front, side or back) they are.

One serious downside; the navi system seems to generate the same light frequency as a police laser. So the Valentine1 sometimes stays on continuously... I need to reposition it so it doesn't "see" the navi...

That is good to know, because I just bought the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT. Hmmm, I don't know where else to position it. I think it is supposed to attach to the top of your windshield? I am also thinking about putting tint across the top of my windshield, it will block out the sun a little and also not make the radar detector visible from the front. I will post some pics of my gauges and the nav/speaker set up when I get them installed tomorrow. (hopefully) I will have to wait tell next week to get the carbon pieces put on my X.

Chrispettingill
03-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I am still here, and still listening to your opinions and ideas.. I wanted to update my list of ish for my Evo X. Your opinions are still very important to me.. Thanks for all the helpful feed back I have received so far.

Current upgrades:
-APR GTC-200 adjustable wing
-Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT
-ARC Audio 6.5" Co-Axial Speakers x2
-ARC Audio 6.5" Component Speakers x2
-ARC Audio 12" Dual 4 OHM Sub
-ARC Audio Kar series 6 Channel amp

Purchased upgrades:
-Defi 52mm Tachometer(Not implementing this upgrade)
-Defi 52mm Boost Gauge
-Defi 52mm Oil Temp
-Defi 52mm Water Temp
-Defi 52mm Exhaust Temp
-APR Front Wind Splitter(Switched to the APR Carbon Fiber Front Lip)

Future upgrades:
-Greddy or ETS Downpipe
-Cosworth Cams
-Valentine1 Radar Detector
-Car Alarm (havent decided which yet)
-WORKS Short Shifter
-MOMO Nero Shift knob
-MOMO Carbon Shift boot
-Raliart Taillight

Considering:
-AMS Fuel Rail Kit

Evolutionized
03-06-2009, 12:23 AM
current mods...

rice rice bababyyyyyy

i dont know whats gunna be louder the bov or ur subs...

future mods sound ok...i love how you put polished... i think you should get more bling for ur engine bay...

i see a ref ticket in the making

Mike W
03-06-2009, 12:38 AM
EVO Xs need some kind of active boost controller on a stock turbo. MBCs and fixed duty cycle electronic controllers have to spike too high to try to hold something decent at the top end. You need something like the factory control (through a reflash) that can hold the duty cycle down at lower rpm and then max it out at high rpm. AVCRs alegedly can do that (I never figgered them out though) and there are good reviews on the HK$ EVC 5/6 with Special Sauce Instruction to do that.

My old favorite Dejon MBC needs to peak at 27 psi to hold 19 at red line for example. AEM Tru-Boost, Profec Bs, Turbo Smart MBCs.. they all drop hard at high rpm if you keep the boost to 24 psi down low.

One MBC that is decent if you must is the Halman with the ceramic ball bearing option. A few Xs I tuned I was expecting to hate them but they werent that bad.

I dont see tuning on your list, but boost control is free with a tune pretty much everywhere I think. It frees up some cheese for other bling!

You will only need the fuel rail, injectors and fuel pump if you are going over 350ish WHP. Blow that up when you get a turbo upgrade maybe.

Mike W

Chrispettingill
03-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Mike,

As soon as I get the intercooler, lower piping, downpipe, and cams I will get it tuned. I am kinda waiting for those upgrades before I do that. I want that tune so badly. The car is annoying me.. I brought it up to like 6 - 6.5 and it floated to 7.5 and held there for 5 seconds with my food off the accelerator and it in neutral. I feel like the ECU is nerfing my upgrades as well. I am also waiting on fuel rail, injectors, and a fuel pump. I wont bother with those until I decide to upgrade the turbo. I want my car to be as quick as possible. I know I will lose in the high RPMS. Later on if and when I get bored I will upgrade my turbo and continue with the mods to support it.

Evolutionized,

Do understand this car is like my toy. So yes I will play with it and yes I will do cosmetic upgrades. Complain about the carbon fiber and you just sound like a hater. As for the sub, yeah I like to get motivated on the way out for a night down town. ;-)