PDA

View Full Version : First Looney Logged Evo X

Looney Tuning
02-19-2009, 01:25 AM
This is the first Looney Logged Evo X. The car belongs to Gear Grinder. It had the following mods:

TBE
AEM Intake

I finally have the software needed to log/tune the car.

I am using PCMScan to log the car. It is a generic OBDII logger that happens to work with the Tactrix cable and the Evo X. Others on Evom have used it and they have reported good results. It can log the following necessary tuning parameters:

Load
Throttle Position
Ignition Timing
Boost
AFR from an external meter (I use the LM-1)

The logger is not as fast as Evoscan but it is fast enough. On Gear Grinder’s car it was able to log 4 data points every 1000 rpm. Not great, but good enough.

The only variable that it does not log is Knock Sum, but a proper reading of the timing curve will allow a tuner to detect knock. Take a look at the timing chart below from GG’s car. This is a 4th gear log.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Danny/timing_curve.gif

The black square on the log shows ho the timing curve is getting pulled. At 4724 rpm the timing is 12* and goes up to 14* at 4781 rpm only to get pulled back to 12* at 4816 rpm. The red square tells a similar story. Timing @ 6523 rpm is 23*, gets pulled to 22* @ 6645 rpm, goes up to 23* @ 6723 rpm, and gets pulled again to 22* by 6875 rpm.

Basically, the car is experiencing some light knock. Had there been a knock sum log, it would show anywhere between 1-3 counts of knock.

The other logged parameters should the following. The logs are two 3rd and 4th gear logs combined into the 3D chart below:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Danny/boost.gif

The boost peaks at 22 psi and then tapers to an average 14.58 psi by redline. Max boost by redline is 15.84 psi.

The disappointing log was the AFR log. I have read how the AEM intake leans out the AFR and I was expecting about 11:1 AFR, but it was not to be.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Danny/afr.gif

The AFR was into the 10:1 at the moment of tip-in and stayed there all the way to redline. At 7000 rpm it was a miserable 10.07:1. If this “lean” AFR was achieved with the AEM intake, one shudders at the AFR numbers generated with the stock intake. The reason the AEM leans out the AFR is the large size intake tube that it uses. This lowers the load numbers that the car hits in the fuel map and the lower load has leaner fuel cells. It is that simple.

The last chart is the timing that the car hit in the two runs.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Danny/timing.gif

The car does run a lot of timing. The timing is even higher at the top end than that of an Evo 8. IIRC, these cars used to have 21-22* of advanced timing at redline. Obviously, once I lean out the car and add more boost, the timing must be reduced to eliminate the likelihood of knock. That is the plan anyway.

GG and I did these logs late at night in very cold weather conditions. I want to log the car again under more normal weather conditions. Then I will begin the tuning process. I am going to be very slow and deliberate with tuning this car. Then I will tune a few others. After tuning a few Evo Xs, I will then start tuning for the general public. I will charge similar/same prices to the tuning that I do on Evo 8/9.

seouljahone
02-19-2009, 01:36 AM
nice naji!! im thinkin about coming back to a x so hopefully soon you can tune me!

baylorar
02-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Will be good to see Evo X's join the Looney Tuned posse

EvoJoe
02-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Wow, very rich AFR's indeed. Naji will be having some nicely tuned X's running around L.A. very soon.

mondizzie_evo
02-19-2009, 09:37 AM
finally... =D
we just talked about this when I went with my friend, evoboost, to get to his 9 tuned a few weeks ago.
you told me to wait even if its going be a while...who knew I wasn't going to have to wai that long
if u want more cars to play around with..ill glady lend you mine ;)

keep up the good work

Looney Tuning
02-19-2009, 09:50 AM
finally... =D
we just talked about this when I went with my friend, evoboost, to get to his 9 tuned a few weeks ago.
you told me to wait even if its going be a while...who knew I wasn't going to have to wai that long
if u want more cars to play around with..ill glady lend you mine ;)

keep up the good work

Evoboost and I talked about logging your car. I was wondering if you are willing to go back to the stock intake from the AEM intake that you currently have. I really want to log an Evo X with no power mods. I know you have an aftermarket clutch, but that does not matter. If you are willing to go back to a stock intake, then PM me.

mondizzie_evo
02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I can go back to stock for the name of science lol... pm sent =D

1crazyEvo
02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Glad to see you 2 finally got a chance to logg that damn car! Finally the possibility of Looney Xs!

sxe_davexxx
02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Do you plan on gving the EvoX the pill treatment?

Something has to be done to make them hold boost better, 14psi by redline is weak...

Anyways, sounds like this is a good start... Keep us updated on your findings...

Looney Tuning
02-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Glad to see you 2 finally got a chance to logg that damn car! Finally the possibility of Looney Xs!

The biggest issue was finding a decent software to log with. I hope Evoscan will come out for the X soon so we can log knock. The PCMScan is just a bridge to allow the ECUflash community to tune.

Looney Tuning
02-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Do you plan on gving the EvoX the pill treatment?

Something has to be done to make them hold boost better, 14psi by redline is weak...

Anyways, sounds like this is a good start... Keep us updated on your findings...

Yes, the car will get the pill treatment. But first I want to tune it w/o the stock pill to see how much boost we can get.

silvrEVOIXn818
02-19-2009, 03:27 PM
congrats to both Naji and the OP, for being the first "Looney X" Looks like a good start. Soon as Naji gives her the pill, she will be ready for some action. ;)

yajo
02-22-2009, 03:57 AM
yo nj.. u never called :(

gimmie a call, maybe u can do some work ontop of my AP :D

Gear Grinder
02-22-2009, 09:31 AM
congrats to both Naji and the OP, for being the first "Looney X" Looks like a good start. Soon as Naji gives her the pill, she will be ready for some action. ;)
That sound so dirty. Anyway, we need a nice warm dry day to go do a few more logs. Then Naji will just take it one step at a time, I'm sure reporting all the gains, and findings.

btw- I cant wait for the final outcome!!!!!! :buck2: ...but patients is a virtue :angel:

Looney Tuning
02-25-2009, 07:29 PM

Hi John. Since you have an AP, then you are all set. It is not a good idea to do an additional flash on top of the AP. There will come a time when you will get rid of the AP and go with an open source tune. BTW, I found your cap :)

yajo
03-09-2009, 02:00 AM

Hi John. Since you have an AP, then you are all set. It is not a good idea to do an additional flash on top of the AP. There will come a time when you will get rid of the AP and go with an open source tune. BTW, I found your cap :)

MY CAP! OMG! Haha.. Well anyways, i took a look @ the access port RACE software.. looks similar to when u was doing up our 8/9's with ecuflash.. tempted to take a look? :P ..since i needa pick up my cap anyways :)

Looney Tuning
03-24-2009, 12:12 AM
I finally flashed Danny's Evo X. I also figured out a way to log boost externally to the ECU. The Evo X ECU caps boost output of the 3 bar MAP sensor at 22.2 psi. It does not go higher than that. So now I am logging boost with a GM 3-bar map sensor through the LM-1/LMA-1 and into PCMScan. It works and it is very accurate. I compared the results on my Evo 9 using the GM 3-bar and the JDM MAP sensor and the results are very similar.

After flashing the car we logged it. Here is a boost teaser of before and after. All logs were done in 4th gear and on the stock pill.

Stock boost

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Danny/boost_stock.gif

Semi-Tuned Boost

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Danny/boost_tune.gif

Average peak boost is now 2.21 psi higher than before. It also peaks at 3750 instead of 4000 rpm like before. Peak boost in one of the logs hit 27.34 psi max. Stock peak boost was 24.33 psi.

The best thing is that there is less boost taper than before. The average tuned boost is 18.3 psi before it was 15.01 psi, a 3.29 psi increase :grin: And peak boost in one of the logs hit 19.79 psi whereas before it only hit 15.92 psi, an increase of 3.87 psi :grin: I really have mixed feeling about using the pill on this car. The boost increases are across the board and I still have some room to increase the boost in the mid range. I think that the dual boost solenoid is responsible for this w/o the use of the pill.

Finally, note how the load shifted to the right. With the stock boost, the car hit 220 load and tapered to 180 by redline, but now it hits 260 load and held to 200 by redline.

Danny will test the car during the week and will keep me informed of his findings. So far no CEL and no limp mode O0 This was one of my biggest concerns. We will flash the car next weekend with a leaner AFR, slight boost adjustments and slightly lowered timing. Stay tuned.

Gear Grinder
03-24-2009, 06:46 AM
So far in bumper to bumper traffic it has been awesome!!! ha ha. Kidding aside, that's actually important to me, as this is my daily driver, so any loss of drivability would push me closer to my next Subaru :2funny:. So far the tune is just as smooth as stock, only the power comes on sooner, and holds on longer. Before it would kind of start running out of steam just before 6k. Now it doesn't let up untill I do. The other thing, the car is back firing much less. I'll see if I can take some deserted roads to and from work today, and post up a better description of the tune.

1WkdEvo
03-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Congrats Danny and Naji. Looks like this is progressing well for both of you. In for updates :)

Evo209Viii
07-08-2009, 07:40 PM
i want an evo x so bad

Gear Grinder
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
i want an evo x so bad
But VIII's are so raw and mean!

MJCT9A
07-08-2009, 09:06 PM
i want an evo x so bad

Yes they are, some have been known to kill X's.

btw congrats on keeping the X this long. I know you miss your IX though.

Gear Grinder
07-08-2009, 09:14 PM
i want an evo x so bad

Yes they are, some have been known to kill X's.

btw congrats on keeping the X this long. I know you miss your IX though.
I never missed my IX, but I do miss my VIII sometimes :'(

EvO9marine
07-08-2009, 09:18 PM
hey Naji i need a tune!!!!! :mitsu:

Looney Tuning
07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
hey Naji i need a tune!!!!! :mitsu:

You keep saying that, but you never fill and submit an info form. Here it is

http://www.looneytuning.net/info.html

Looney Tuning
07-09-2009, 04:45 PM
man i cant wait till he tunes me tomorrow. i just went over all my hoses making sure thier tight. soo you tomorrow at 9:30 naji.

Did you do the factory reflash today?