PDA

View Full Version : Brake problem after switching wheels =\

mangoes
02-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Today, my buddy and I were bored and he had some spare wheels sitting around that were sized 18x9 +30, had 265/35/18 tires on them. We decided to put them on my car to see what they would look like. My car is currently fully stock, stock wheels everything stock!

So, we put his wheels on, and I go out to test how it feels because he said the tires arent balanced and suggests I try driving it at freeway speed to see if it wobbles and etc.

I start driving down his street and I get prepared to make a left and then I hit the brake pedal and there is almost ZERO resistance, the pedal was pretty much on the floor. I had to lift and pump it again to get pressure back. I made a U-Turn and went back to my friend's house and tested the brakes again. Same thing as the first time, little to no pressure, and I had to double pump to get pressure back in the brakes again.

We are both stumped, were guessing it has to do with the TPMS or ABS, not really sure. There were no warning lights at all on the dash or anything, I was expecting the TPMS to go off but it didn't. I only drove the car down the street and back. Maybe because the tire was a 35 series and not a 40? Bah, I don't know.

Should I have driven it for a little bit longer, like a mile or something? I didn't want to because I was scared I would hit somebody if my brakes didn't work when I wanted them to.

I have read a few threads about people using wheels without putting the TPMS sensor in them and all they get is the annoying TPMS warning on the dash, but I had NO warnings at all.

Anyways, has anyone ever experienced this? We put my stock wheels back on and everything is fine, I didn't need to double tap the brakes to get pressure in them, it was back to normal.

Sorry for the long read.

cliff notes: Swapped stock wheels with aftermarket, brakes don't work. Swapped back to stock, brakes work fine.

pikadosboy
02-23-2009, 01:00 AM
that is really weird !

Massimo Power
02-23-2009, 01:02 AM
its probably just in your head... normaly if you put wheels on car you might move the rotor around a bit and cause pad knock back the the pad will need to be put back to the rotors just by pumping the brakes a few times.. you should have driven it longer.

mangoes
02-23-2009, 01:06 AM
We pumped the brakes many times though, my friend checked all four corners to see if there was any leaking going on while I constantly pumped the brakes. My brake fluid resevoir was full also.

Right after the pumping, I reversed the car and hit the brakes again, and the pedal went straight to the floor and I had to double pump again.

But ya, I think I'll give it another go next weekend, those wheels looked badass =D.

Massimo Power
02-23-2009, 01:07 AM
you probably pumped it with the car off... then you tunred the car on.. then it felt like it went to the floor... right?

mangoes
02-23-2009, 01:12 AM
No, the car was on. It would build pressure whenever you hit the brakes consecutively. But whenever the car moved a bit, that pressure would be lost.

Massimo Power
02-23-2009, 01:18 AM
you sure the wheels were on right? Made sure that the wheels were hubcentric and everything?

Massimo Power
02-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Im goin to bed... lol too many variables here...

If there was something leaking your brakes would be gone even when you put the stock wheels back on. You only got it when you put the wheels so it can either be wheels dont fit... or improper installation... or its all in your head...

Check them out again next week and let us know how it goes..

goodluck.. :)

smack_evo
02-23-2009, 01:45 AM
was there a ton of vibration with the wheels on? this also can cause knock back and will force you to give the brakes a pump to get the pads back against the rotors. there's really not much else that can cause this problem.
unless you were sawing back and forth on the steering wheel. like trying to get heat into the tires on the track. this will also give you knock back as well.
rim or tire size really has no effect on brakes like this. stickier tires can make pads fade where they didn't on street tires.
or wider wheels could possibly cut through a line if you weren't paying attention to see if there was any contact when mounting them but all the pumping in the world won't get your pedal back after that :)

good luck

mangoes
02-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Im goin to bed... lol too many variables here...

If there was something leaking your brakes would be gone even when you put the stock wheels back on. You only got it when you put the wheels so it can either be wheels dont fit... or improper installation... or its all in your head...

Check them out again next week and let us know how it goes..

goodluck.. :)

Thanks Mauricio. Probably the installation was wrong, we used stock lugs. The wheels fit fine though. There was no shaking or anything, the car drove fine, but then again I only went probably like 10 mph tops.

I had two of my other friends drive it and the same thing happened to them too, pretty sure its not in all of our heads =(.

Azian
02-23-2009, 02:05 AM
O_o

kimletrim
02-23-2009, 10:49 AM
check out my response on evom. http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-sponsored-tire-rack/402065-brake-problem-after-switching-wheels.html

mangoes
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
thanks kimletrim. I think we'll give it another go this weekend. doh!