PDA

View Full Version : Road Race Engineering Project Evo X

fusionofideas
03-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Finally finished the Road Race Engineering Project Evo X and wanted to get some of the pics and information up for all to see the progress and amazing job that Road Race Engineering does.
The project started with a stock Evo X and became an amazing 379 AWHP beast.
I want to thank the sponsors of the project and what they did to make the project possible.
We started the project with the AEM intake, which produced a solid 20WHP. With the simple change of the intake and the power that was received, we saw that there was great potential for the project and the car.
Road Race Engineering than made a custom fabricated exhaust system for the Evo. The Exhaust system started with the Ultimate Racing Downpipe and Art at RRE fabricated the rest. The full Dual exhaust was fabricated by Art at RRE and he did an amazing job
All of the performance parts came together once Mike at Road Race plugged into the car with Ecutek and started to Tune. He spent countless hours making sure that it was perfect. If you want your car tuned correctly bring it to Mike at RRE. He spends the time necessary with each vehicle and each customer to make sure that you get the attention you deserve. It is amazing to see what he can do to pull out the maximum power available with each Evo. Mike was able to pull out 379 AWP on pump gas, he did a great job on making the entire project come together and making all of the sponsors parts look good. If you have spent the money on the parts make sure that they are utilized correctly and get the car tuned by Mike at Road Race Engineering.
Forced Performance came on board with the FP Red Turbo, which was a really difficult install but well worth it. For those not aware Forced Performance takes the stock Evo X turbo housing and swaps out all of the internalls to create a mean turbo. This turbo can sustain well over 35psi of boost pressure and still keep turbine back pressure in check due to the proprietary advanced turbine aero and massive turbine blades. Due to the advanced design of the blades the spool up is retained near that of the stock turbocharger. These are the same size internals as used in the popular FP RED™ for the Mitsubishi Evolution 9 which has already propelled cars to mid 9 second quarter mile passes.
Once the turbo was installed there was solid power gains and very little lag. The turbo has been solid with day to day use on the street and will be sure to perform at the upcoming Redline Time attack race. RRE installed a fuel pump to ensure proper fuel distribution. DeatschWerks contributed their 800 CC injectors, which made the entire swap flawless.
The Mishimoto radiator was installed with their nice silicone hosing. The car has run cooler than the stock radiator.
The AGP Intercooler and intercooler piping was used to keep everything cooler and we decided to run the black piping to keep the car stealth. The Synapse Engineering Blow off valve integrated right onto the AGP Piping. Even though everyone hates on the BOV we did notice a better throttle response with the Synapse BOV installed, plus you get the Fast and Furious Whoosh, which everyone loves deep down.
Suspension was next on the list now that we had power taken care of. KW Suspension contributed to the project by offering a brand new set of Variant 3 coilovers. The separate and independent compression and rebound damping options allow a truly individual driving set-up. These unique systems with the 3 individually adjustable components, allows for adjustment of the compression of the damper in the low-speed range, while the highspeed set-up, so decisive for driving comfort, has been preset by the KW engineers.
We wanted the Evo to be able to handle the power to the wheels and knew that the best place to take it was RobiSpec. After a short trip to RobiSpec out in the desert with the KW V3’s in the trunk we were able to get on the lift and start getting rid of the stock suspension and on with the amazing KW V3’s. RobiSpec then installed the rear sway bar and did an amazing job with the install and got everything installed in a relatively short amount of time. After the new KW V3’s were installed the Evo was then set up on the laser guidance system. The car was corner balanced and laser aligned.
The KW V3’s with the RobiSpec Tune is truly amazing. With the setup you get a better ride than stock with exponentially better handling. RobiSpec knows what they are doing and have come to be able to almost perfectly tune the KW setup on the Evo X. With the perfect full race setup from RobiSpec the car was then ready for Rubber.
Nitto Tires has the Nitto NT05.he NT05 is a maximum performance tire that was developed using advanced computer simulation and extensive on-track testing. These development methods along with rigorous quality standards helped produce a street tire that provides precise and responsive handling and performance. The tire is perfect for track and street use. We went with 275/35/18 to fit the Enkei GTC-01 18x10.5 wheels.
The next step was in weight loss. Everything in the trunk was removed and VoltPhreaks offered the VPX 700 Lightweight race battery. The battery comes in at 5.25 pounds compared to almost 35 from the stock. The battery has worked flawlessly in hot and cold conditions. The weight was noticed with acceleration when everything in the trunk was removed and the stock battery was replaced with the VoltPhreaks battery.
We then installed the TWM performance short shifter. TWM does a great job and producing a great product. They also offer an amazing shifter with their short shifter kit. These shift knobs are CNC machined stainless steel and feel great. Redlinegoods.com sent in their high quality leather shift boot with red double stitching. The whole package is way better that the wack stock setup with the pleather shift boot and massive shifter. TWM FTW.
Brake pads were swapped with the EBC YellowStuff and offer superior stopping power over the stock brembo pads.
The AEM Water/methanol injection kit was later installed to give the new FP Red turbo that extra punch. Once installed, the Water / Methanol Injection Kit uses a boost-dependent, variable-flow progressive controller to determine the amount of water / methanol mixture (up to 50%) to feed into the inlet stream from the included one gallon reservoir. The controller commands a progressive 150-PSI pump that delivers the mixture, and flow adjustments at the inlet are made via three included jets designed to match most engine power requirements. The result is significant horsepower gains using pump gas—at about half the cost of Racing Fuel. A pretty difficult install but well worth it in the end.
The project started back in September 2008 and we are now finished. Road Race Engineering and all of our sponsors for the project did a phenomenal job at creating an amazing Evo X. The Evo X will be racing in the Redline Time Attack series as well as other events. If there are any questions on parts or install send a message and I will be sure to answer for you as soon as possible. After all of the work that was done on the car it is amazing to see the potential that the Evo X has. With basic bolt-on’s the Evo X becomes even more incredible.

STIH8TER
03-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Wow way to write an essay. why don't you just list what you got instead. Nice car man. I got the same Air Intake hehe.

fusionofideas
03-12-2009, 12:04 AM
sorry, thought it might be for a better read for the people with iphones on the toilet

Skiracer
03-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Congrats on finishing up the car for now :P I met you when you brought your car to RRE to get the OEM turbo removed.

riceball777
03-12-2009, 12:35 AM
how much boost did it take to make 379whp. and was that with meth? or with out?

fusionofideas
03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Whats up Skiracer. did you have the black hood on the white evo? Did you get anything else done? here is the chart, this is without the AEM water/Meth injection. We are going to get that factored in later. I will post results

antics22
03-12-2009, 10:22 AM
very nice! are you entering the redline Time Attack event at the end of this month? what class will you be running? It will be very exciting to see how she does!

PS. What happened to Chris Torres's car? I thought THAT car was going to be time attacked...... At least thats what he said...

fusionofideas
03-12-2009, 11:04 AM
......that's what she said....

I will be entering redline. Either modified or street class

DC_TypeR
03-18-2009, 09:18 PM
PS. What happened to Chris Torres's car? I thought THAT car was going to be time attacked...... At least thats what he said...

LOL... am I missing something? As of today, those are still the plans..No one said anything different.

-Chris

1WkdEvo
03-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Nice write up. Props to you and props to RRE as always

jerrym
03-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Nice write up indeed.

Terenus
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM

LOL... am I missing something? As of today, those are still the plans..No one said anything different.

-Chris

Isn't the car done? When are you planning to do TA?

fusionofideas
03-19-2009, 11:20 AM
The car is finished. i will be competing in the redline TA MArch 28-29

antics22
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM

-Chris

I just thought that your X was the RRE project X car.... I also remembered you having on your sig - Time Attack Evo X.. but then you took it off.

Your car was the one that I was anticipating to see in TA since you first showed it off. The build was simply amazing... Glad to see that those are still the plans... You do know that theres a TA event end of this month right? ;)

fusionofideas
03-19-2009, 11:47 AM
This is one of the RRE Project Evo X's I have been working with Mike at RRE as well as the sponsors from the project.
Yeah I will be entering March 28-29 Redline Time Attack. Thanks for the compliment on the car. I just got a few more small items to get ready for the event.

antics22
03-19-2009, 12:01 PM
fusion, sorry I was replying to Chris (evopowa)... Sorry if I confused you. I know youre entering the TA already. Your build IS NICE as well!

Just wanted to clarify that! lol.

DC_TypeR
03-19-2009, 12:38 PM

-Chris

I just thought that your X was the RRE project X car.... I also remembered you having on your sig - Time Attack Evo X.. but then you took it off.

Your car was the one that I was anticipating to see in TA since you first showed it off. The build was simply amazing... Glad to see that those are still the plans... You do know that theres a TA event end of this month right? ;)

Ant,

I cleaned my sig and removed a lot of stuff along time ago.

I am aware that there is an event this month. I have a prior family obligation on the 29th of this month, and my car is in pieces at the moment, due to some last minute parts changing. I'm not sure if I will make it to the season opener. If my car is done, I might ... it's all in the air at the moment.

-Chris

Fusionofideas: Nice Car man. Glad to see a So Cal EVO X going to compete in Street Class.

antics22
03-19-2009, 01:05 PM
^ very cool Chris! Glad to hear things are all on track! Can't wait to see your beast in action!

Fusionofideas: Good luck at BW! Both project RRE X's look great!

antics22
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
So how did it go?

aaevol9
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
clean x!

o-townFLA
04-01-2009, 04:48 PM
dam Russ I didnt know you posted a novel on here...

fusionofideas
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Ran a 2:10 was having major issues with the ECU cutting out on me. Should have run a 2 flat if I wasn't having issues. I should have it fixed by the next race.

Jooyoung99
04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Nice!! Are you going to be at RRE anytime soon? I would love to see your car.

billedoc
04-22-2009, 01:34 AM
very nice dyno graph for what it has. i wish i owned a 10 lol