PDA

View Full Version : Fluid for SST

s78
03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
I was just lurking on an M3 forum and came across this. Apparently dealers have been putting "standard" manual transmission fluid in the dual clutch transmissions at BMW's 1,200 mile service, which has destroyed a few transmissions (killed the wet clutches?).

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142347

Just wondering if anyone has had an experience changing transmission fluid in an SST... also a warning to make sure you use the right stuff if you do!

Blaze
03-25-2009, 03:57 PM
The SST is a non serviceable transmission.
That means you would never need to change the fluid, so hypothetically, it should never be an issue.

s78
03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
BMW dual clutch is the same way, supposedly no service, ever, apparently the dealer techs changed the fluid anyway. Sounds like bad communication within the BMW network.

I wonder what happens when these transmissions have 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles? What if the trans leaks? hmmmm....

Blaze
03-26-2009, 10:48 AM
BMW dual clutch is the same way, supposedly no service, ever, apparently the dealer techs changed the fluid anyway. Sounds like bad communication within the BMW network.

I wonder what happens when these transmissions have 100,000 miles? 200,000 miles? What if the trans leaks? hmmmm....

I believe BMW has a 100k warranty on their trans.
If it start leaking after that....it's just like any other part that fails.
(the owner is responsible for repairing/replacing it)

I used to have a problem with my Audi where mechs would drain the trans fluid thinking it was the oil plug.

s78
03-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Found some good stuff over at evom.

According to this info, recommended SST fluid change interval is 60k miles standard, 30k miles "severe" use. Fluid is Dia Queen SSTF-1, I think this is where you could get yourself in a world of hurt with your wet clutches, by using standard manual transmission fluid.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/324054-x-maint-schedule-fluid-specifications.html

And a good thread on potential clutch upgrades (no upgrades available yet...)

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/354252-evo-x-mr-can-u-upgrade-clutch.html

kautiongsr
04-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I was just lurking on an M3 forum and came across this. Apparently dealers have been putting "standard" manual transmission fluid in the dual clutch transmissions at BMW's 1,200 mile service, which has destroyed a few transmissions (killed the wet clutches?).

lol yup has happened at my dealership.. suck for the customer cus they are out of a car for a week or so..... fluid is not serviceable its lifetime... i have some fluid so im saving it for my mr trans since getrad is the supplier

Cyp
04-20-2009, 09:01 PM
called the dealer today. They will change the oil for $200

kautiongsr
04-21-2009, 08:35 AM
that sounds really cheap.. did they tell you if they recommened replacement and what milage?

powercreator
06-12-2011, 06:18 PM
http://www.orvema.nl/Pentosin/Pentosin_FFL-4_GB.pdf

Has anybody tried this stuff.

Ladogaboy
06-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Have you heard anything more about the frequency of fluid changes on the SST? I'm at 36k and still on original fluid. No problems, but I'm also not abusing the car.

SleeperEvoX
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Have you heard anything more about the frequency of fluid changes on the SST? I'm at 36k and still on original fluid. No problems, but I'm also not abusing the car.

"check the service manual" for interval as this fluid does require changing O0

evolved13
06-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know if the trans fluid for the SST is filled, drained, filled, drained in some sort of sequence? I heard it was more than $200 because of the extra fluid involved to do it by the book. Or do those who DO know the SST trans only drain and just refill?

SleeperEvoX
06-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Mitsubishi recomended service schedule is: 30k severe/ 60k regular for sst oil.
15k severe/ 30k regular for transfer oil
30k severe/ 30k regular LSD oil

Does anyone know if the trans fluid for the SST is filled, drained, filled, drained in some sort of sequence? I heard it was more than $200 because of the extra fluid involved to do it by the book. Or do those who DO know the SST trans only drain and just refill?

If you have the money to piss away you could use diaqueen SST-1 to flush old fluid. I've heard of mineral oil used to flush out the old fluid. Personally I'd be extra careful about this as the fluid level is critical for proper operation. You have to carefully measure what comes out and make sure that you dont add more than what the fill level is I believe is 7.1 quarts total. Hope this helps...