PDA

View Full Version : MR 6 speed or GSR 5 speed. Which is better

caliEVO619
03-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I have asked people before but thought I would put it out there. Which transmission do you think is better, 6 or 5? And why is it better. Is 5 better for drag but 6 is better on track? I would like to know, and to know what you think.

skylinefolife
03-26-2009, 12:10 AM
I have asked people before but thought I would put it out there. Which transmission do you think is better, 6 or 5? And why is it better. Is 5 better for drag but 6 is better on track? I would like to know, and to know what you think.

I thought it was going to be some random nub asking this question... Was I wrong...

Haven't you read all of the numerous threads about that?

:'(

VinceR
03-26-2009, 12:13 AM
shepperd built ultimate ratio 5 speed tranny here, feels way better than the stock 5 speed ever did...

I heard the 6 speed tranny was weak and was one of the main things that turned me away from buying a MR in the first place....

Massimo Power
03-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Ive driven a few Tracked out MR's and i have never personally seen a 6 speed actually break on the track.. I have seen many of them beat to hell and they still hold up. I think it was a driver error maybe but. Personally i like the 6 speed on the track.

Drag racing... I wouldnt know too much about that... but IMO less shifting with a good power setup should be faster...

DPK MR
03-26-2009, 01:11 AM
I think both feel great on the track but the 6-speed definitely gives a slight advantage for acceleration- just ask Alan.

caliEVO619
03-26-2009, 01:19 AM

I thought it was going to be some random nub asking this question... Was I wrong...

I didn't want to take the time to look. Plus I get to start my first poll!! But you also didn't answer the question. :)

KarbonEvo9
03-26-2009, 02:02 AM
i guess it really depends on what you wanna do, and where you wanna be at?

S2myEVO
03-26-2009, 02:26 AM
your mother is better.

rofl jk.

5 speed for any type of motorsport, 6 speed....crusing ftw??

TeKiZeRo
03-26-2009, 04:57 AM
It's going to be biased from people who own each. I just like the 5 speed since it feels more solid and because the gears are thicker, which is the reason why I got the GSR over the MR. But ultimately you're making the choice in the end, so I suggest you just go drive both and see which you like better.

c_sautter
03-26-2009, 07:47 AM
I've driven the MR before, it didn't really feel a whole lot different than the 5 speed. I didn't even use the 6th gear on the freeway. I have heard that the 6 speen might have a weaker 4th gear because it was made to fit in the 5 speed gearbox, so it was made to be smaller and therefore the weakest link in the chain. Just what I've heard, I don't really know.

2muchboost
03-26-2009, 08:02 AM
If you have the Cash, Shep 5 speed is the way to go...

pog0
03-26-2009, 09:52 AM
I heart my 6 speed.

76k, 2 track days, several launches... My oil analysis from Blackstone said everything looks good. I will say that it sucks for drag racing because you have to shift into 5th unless you wanna bounce off the rev limiter for a second or so.

Edit: got pwned by special characters for the heart

KarbonEvo9
03-26-2009, 10:55 AM
If you have the Cash, Shep 5 speed is the way to go...

AGREED.

c_sautter
03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I

?

Dead_Pirate
03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I own a MR and I bought it knowing that the 6 speed was a tad bit weaker then the 5.... I didn't care at all because everything is just word of mouth.... I have never seen or heard of any MRs shit going out.... Plus theÂ* MR package has more to offer then the 5 speed... But the question you are asking I don't think u care about that.... I know for a fact they shaved 4th gear on the MR to make a 6th gear but that's not a bad thing.... Again it's how you treat ur car... U drive ur car like shit even if it's a 5 speed of course ur gunna have tranny problems.... I know a member on here that has 125,000+ on his MR.... It's his DD... He has tracked it, dragged it,raced it, launched it, even gets rally with it....lol, and tons of other shit... His tranny or nothing major at all has gone out....All he has done is the usaul service crap....so alot of the MR 6 speed talk is BS.... It's just 5 speed people hating that they couldn't afford the 6 speed.... Lol......even people on here like tracking the 6 speed over the 5....and people like tracking the 5 speed over the 6 speed.... It's all opinions... I like the way the 6 speed shifts.... I like the way it pops in gear.... And who ever said they didn't use 6th gear on the freeway does not know how to drive then unless they like cruising in high RPMs hahahahahaha.... Again another opinion.... But that's a shitty one

Hope I helped a little and good luck! It really doesn't matter what you get ur gunna be happy either way.... The MR just offers more....

(if my spelling sucks, sorry I'm on a iPhone)

shaneyogo
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
^^^^^^^
He drives his 6 speed like a sissy

G20
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
the one that you're already have is better because it saves your cash.

KarbonEvo9
03-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I own a MR and I bought it knowing that the 6 speed was a tad bit weaker then the 5.... I didn't care at all because everything is just word of mouth.... I have never seen or heard of any MRs shit going out.... Plus the MR package has more to offer then the 5 speed... But the question you are asking I don't think u care about that.... I know for a fact they shaved 4th gear on the MR to make a 6th gear but that's not a bad thing.... Again it's how you treat ur car... U drive ur car like shit even if it's a 5 speed of course ur gunna have tranny problems.... I know a member on here that has 125,000+ on his MR.... It's his DD... He has tracked it, dragged it,raced it, launched it, even gets rally with it....lol, and tons of other shit... His tranny or nothing major at all has gone out....All he has done is the usaul service crap....so alot of the MR 6 speed talk is BS.... It's just 5 speed people hating that they couldn't afford the 6 speed.... Lol......even people on here like tracking the 6 speed over the 5....and people like tracking the 5 speed over the 6 speed.... It's all opinions... I like the way the 6 speed shifts.... I like the way it pops in gear.... And who ever said they didn't use 6th gear on the freeway does not know how to drive then unless they like cruising in high RPMs hahahahahaha.... Again another opinion.... But that's a shitty one

Hope I helped a little and good luck! It really doesn't matter what you get ur gunna be happy either way.... The MR just offers more....

(if my spelling sucks, sorry I'm on a iPhone)

lol way to tell em ryan. ur my hero!

Dead_Pirate
03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
^^^^^^^
He drives his 6 speed like a sissy

Yeah because that's what I was explaning the whole time....I just have a 35r in my car to drive slow.... And this is coming from a 5 speed owner.... Just another 5 speed hater! Hahahaha I have noticed shane were ever I post u talk shit.... What did I do to make u so but hurt? Did I stick it in to hard? Baaaaawhahahaha don't forget about are fight at the Ortega Evo cruise! This saterday bitch!

KarbonEvo9
03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
hey ryan, i think you have some requests for some sty stickers on the ortega thread...

you bringing some out there or wat?

r0me0ne
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
i have a 5 speed and love it...my friend has a 6 speed, i drove it and i love it

hope i answered your question :-\

Dead_Pirate
03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
^^^^^ hahaha see u can't go wrong with either one....ur pumped if you get a evo period.

And yah I will have some sty stickers!

Evokid
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
5 speed all the way O0

Mr.IXMR2YOU
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
evos suck

drush08
03-26-2009, 03:28 PM
i love my mr!!

Mister
03-26-2009, 04:13 PM
almost 112,000 miles on my MR, obviously my daily driver, 10 track events, a couple drag events, way too many canyon runs.
Its only had 4 fluid changes its whole life, and the 6 speed never missed a beat.

If you are going to be road racing, the 6 speeds gearing has a slight advantage. 6 gears gives you more options for gear selection.
If you are going to drag race, get that Shep Trans 5 speed. Done

Dead_Pirate
03-26-2009, 04:30 PM
almost 112,000 miles on my MR, obviously my daily driver, 10 track events, a couple drag events, way too many canyon runs.
Its only had 4 fluid changes its whole life, and the 6 speed never missed a beat.

If you are going to be road racing, the 6 speeds gearing has a slight advantage. 6 gears gives you more options for gear selection.

theres more FACTS how the MR still holds up....Everyone who talks shit on the MRs have no proof....its all he said she said BS....

drush08
03-26-2009, 04:52 PM
^^ +1 i use to want a gsr but after getting my mr I realized i love the 6spd way more!!

manafest
03-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Somehow I believe there will be 100x as many votes for 5 speed than 6 just because there are far too many 5 speeds than MR's made lol.

Dead_Pirate
03-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Somehow I believe there will be 100x as many votes for 5 speed than 6 just because there are far too many 5 speeds than MR's made lol.

+96560945393450345 plus the only question he wants to know is which tranny is stronger.....the 5 speed is a bit stronger but not enough to tell the difference....so the 5 speed will get more votes....lol

caliEVO619
03-26-2009, 11:57 PM
I loved my MR. I liked the 6-speed. I drove a friends 5 speed and it didn't feel much different. I almost put in in reverse on the freeway though. But I remembered before. Just wanted to see peoples thoughts.

blueprint
03-27-2009, 08:31 AM
I have an MR and i like it... excellent for daily driving usage.

I've tracked also with it and like it as well.

skylinefolife
03-27-2009, 10:46 AM

I didn't want to take the time to look. Plus I get to start my first poll!! But you also didn't answer the question. :)

:D This is really late...
Okay. I owned my MR for 2 years and a half (give or take a few weeks), never had a problem and I loved it. I never drove a 5spd because I always thought more was better, which might not be true. I've heard of people having problems, but I never had one problem. Forty-thr33-thousand miles and no problems...

I'll tell you what I hated about it: 1st gear was horrible. It usually got stuck when I went from neutral into 1st. It did that for a few months when I first bought it. Maybe I needed to "break in" the tranny? Idk. 6th gear was HORRIBLE for cruising. It actually rev'd higher than the 5spd on the freeway @ 65mph.

I used to drive my cousins STI for a long time and I must admit that the STI's 6spd is far better.Â* :twisted:

I wish the IX MR had the 6spd from the S2000 :smitten:

your mother is better.

rofl jk.

5 speed for any type of motorsport, 6 speed....crusing ftw??

6spd cruising FTL. Where have you been? lol

me like jello
03-28-2009, 10:45 AM
i would have bought an MR if they came in EB. sadly EB only came in the GSR trim and not even the SE.

leaveit2bevo
03-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I think both feel great on the track but the 6-speed definitely gives a slight advantage for acceleration- just ask Alan.

are you sure about that?

ranz
04-04-2009, 12:17 AM
the 5 speed is more solid and for a powerful car its long 4th gear helps a lot

Dead_Pirate
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Its all about the 7 speed evo... It's badass

KarbonEvo9
04-05-2009, 11:45 AM
paddle shifters!

apexct9a
04-07-2009, 05:58 PM
I like the 12 speed trans they have at pepboys, for the hondas.

Dead_Pirate
04-07-2009, 10:45 PM
^^^ hahahaha that is a sick one! im gunna pick it up tomarrow! there having a buy one for $3.95 get one for 50cents!

pjb00stin
04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
i had mine converted to automatic since i had to have my left leg amputated.

xxxAce21xxx
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
30k miles on MY MR no problems shifts like butter i must say............and ya im not a big fan of the notchy-ness of the Five Speed
anyone whoes tried both will tell u the Shifting in the MR feels smooth
i drive the heck out of my car too treat ur car right keep up maintenance and ur all good
my personal opinion is 6 Speed FTW
but i would reccomend to get a 5speed to anyone whoes looking to buy becuz it would suck to get one of those iffy 6speed MR's
the MR's that dont have issues tho are solid but whoes to know if the one u get is gonna have them right ?
im glad i got a MR and im glad my 6 speed is holding up very well =)

Dead_Pirate
04-07-2009, 11:26 PM
i had mine converted to automatic since i had to have my left leg amputated.

oh jesus....ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahah ahah this is hilarious

GokuSSJ4
04-07-2009, 11:40 PM

theres more FACTS how the MR still holds up....Everyone who talks shit on the MRs have no proof....its all he said she said BS....
one of the biggest proof out there is what Bryan from GST posted a while back in regards of how his beloved 6 speed tranny held up after so many track events up in norcal.
U r absolutely right, its the internet and a lot of people will post what they heard.
I've also seen other users having tranny issues (at least 2 of them) after a track event. More issues at least i have witness on the 6 speed then 5 .I've owned 3 different Evo's which all have and is equip with a 5 speed tranny. None of them have had any issues what so ever. Noy everyone takes the time to do a bit of a search and find threads that cover topics of this matter.

xxxAce21xxx
04-08-2009, 12:54 AM

one of the biggest proof out there is what Bryan from GST posted a while back in regards of how his beloved 6 speed tranny held up after so many track events up in norcal.
U r absolutely right, its the internet and a lot of people will post what they heard.
I've also seen other users having tranny issues (at least 2 of them) after a track event. More issues at least i have witness on the 6 speed then 5 .I've owned 3 different Evo's which all have and is equip with a 5 speed tranny. None of them have had any issues what so ever.Â* Noy everyone takes the time to do a bit of a search and find threads that cover topics of this matter.

they speak the truth we need to get rid of this whole MR's suck and GSR's OWN them mentality
MR's Can Hold Theyre Own
im pushing 400+ TQ and she drives like a Dream ;D

plus i love shifting into Sixth hehehehe :smitten:

Dead_Pirate
04-08-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm pushing 400whp 345tq on 91 with no problems as well! Hahaha he likes shifting into 6.... It's like having 6 sluts.... 6 sluts are better then 5! LOL

KarbonEvo9
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm pushing 400whp 345tq on 91 with no problems as well! Hahaha he likes shifting into 6.... It's like having 6 sluts.... 6 sluts are better then 5! LOL

damn skipppy pirate! :grin:

pjb00stin
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM

unless they're fat sluts.Then automatic is better than any 5 speed or 6 speed..automatic ftw.

pj

HMatt
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
You know there actually was an auto evo made, I believe for one year of the VII. It was de-tuned, and didn't have the hood vent so it looked "sleeker" lol, plus a luxury interior... For the upscale crowd, or amputees! haha.

caliEVO619
04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
^ -1

FI
04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
i have owned many six speeds and I prefer a five speed because I get tired of shifting with the six. Fifth gear in most my six speeds were pretty much a waste.

Cars i have owned/own... IX GSR, 07 Sti (longer gears than previous years), S2k AP1, TSX 6spd, civc w/ swaps

It was real easy to get lost in the sti six speed

jebus27
04-14-2009, 09:52 PM
i have heard that if u add a tranny oil cooler to an MR it will prolong the life of the MR, anyone run something like this on their MRs?

how often do you MR guys change your tranny fuild?

oh and by the way......6speed FTW!!!!

05evobrad
04-24-2009, 10:32 AM
i dont enjoy the 6 speed anymore, 30k miles and blown 4th -_- i dont drive like an ass, i heard that the 6 speeds are weaker from forcing in an extra gear?

oldevodude
06-03-2009, 11:14 PM

Not trying to be a jerk or start anything but.....Â* On this thread Bryan is talking about toasting his 6 speed at Thunderhill...

I'm not trying to be a jerk but........

http://forums.evolutionm.net/motor-sports/210221-track-whores-mrs.html

I've also seen other users having tranny issues (at least 2 of them) after a track event. More issues at least i have witness on the 6 speed then 5 .I've owned 3 different Evo's which all have and is equip with a 5 speed tranny. None of them have had any issues what so ever.Â* Noy everyone takes the time to do a bit of a search and find threads that cover topics of this matter.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but........ On the thread below Bryan is talking aboutÂ* Toasting his 4th gear at Thunderhill....

http://forums.evolutionm.net/motor-sports/210221-track-whores-mrs.html
54 pages of transmission talkÂ* O0

GokuSSJ4
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the great feedback.
Now in regards of a tranny cooler, it can be done which gives u a bit more room for cooling. It isn't a 200 dollar mod tho. But well worth it if u gotta have a 6th speed tranny.

CHIGGA73
06-04-2009, 09:15 AM
where can i get info on the tranny cooler? how much is it?

jamesinger
06-04-2009, 10:58 AM
i have owned many six speeds and I prefer a five speed because I get tired of shifting with the six. Fifth gear in most my six speeds were pretty much a waste.

Cars i have owned/own... IX GSR, 07 Sti (longer gears than previous years), S2k AP1, TSX 6spd, civc w/ swaps

It was real easy to get lost in the sti six speed

personally, I don't like how much you have to shift on a 6 speed (S2000, Civic Si, EVO MR) when driving in LA especially. Think about what kind of driving you will do. I sit in traffic when I DD my EVO, so the 5 speed works best for me in those situations.

oldevodude
06-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I still vividly remember being at HB and South Coast dealers debating between MR and SE editions. In the end it was SE 5 speed and lower payments and I figured I could buy MR Bilsteins second hand which I did and now I rock Ohlins O0 Still got the lighter aluminum bits but lost out on some bling trim bits

Both are great and I don't hate

mr.paick
06-07-2009, 12:30 PM
i've had a few track days on the 6sp....its been great thus far.

Sxhawnn
06-07-2009, 12:46 PM
If you plan to mod the car at all,Â* and you were theoretically able to buy both cars new (which you can't nemore), the MR would be a stupid purchase.

Lets look at it objective.Â* The MR is like 3k+ more than the GSR.Â* Gives you BBS wheels, six speed, and an aluminum roof.

First the Rims:Â* They're practically worthless and who the hell wants stock rims neway.

Aluminum Roof:Â* You can get an AMS kevlar one for 1K

Six speed transmission:Â* From what I've read, people have said that the 5 speed is either stronger of just as strong, so the six speed is basically only useful for cruising.

Really depends on what you'd want to do with the car.Â* If you wanted to buy a stock MR and do some minor boltons, it be an awesome daily driver.

Now if you wanted to build an all out track or drag car and the six speed does not offer any significant performance advantages, why not just get the GSR or an RS and spend the money on mods.

If the 5 speed transmission is a good starting point for AMS/Buschur/Hirano/etc Time Attack cars, then I'd say its a good starting point for you.

eddieededy
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
this thread is useless....

evox08
08-07-2009, 06:26 PM
i drove the evo9 mr and gsr personally the shifting in the MR feels alot smoother than the gsr i think it because the teflon shifting cable that they also have in the RS modle.

Robdog
08-08-2009, 12:41 PM
5 speed with a combo of evo 8 and 9 gears is the best...

My car will go 130mph in 4th gear now..

Jeffs2006EvoIX
08-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I will have to agree this thread is a dead issue. Its like asking what color is best. I have owned 2 5 spd's and 1 6spd. All I can tell you is this. The MR rides WAY BETTER. But the 5 Spd IS WAY STRONGER and doesn't overheat. If its a DD or a weekend warrior, 6spd. Plans on a build, heavy build, 5spd. But agian, dead issure. Both are Frickin Awesome its an Evo!!!

Jeffs2006EvoIX
08-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Mind you this is on an Evo 8 and 9. If your Talking the X with the Auto Clutch?? I have no idea on that and its capabilities....but I do have first hand knowledge of the 5 and 6 spd since I owned both.