PDA

View Full Version : Reception Problems with Sirius... Stock Antenna Issue?

Evolve2GSR
03-28-2009, 11:53 PM
If and whenever I drive under an overpass - and some other random areas like trees overhead or a mountainside - my Sirius Radio will cut out momentarily. Anyone else having this issue or know how to solve it? Should I get an aftermarket antennae? Thanks!

evopaul
03-29-2009, 12:38 AM
mmmm call the dealer!

Timujin
03-29-2009, 01:32 AM
It's normal unless you are in Los Angeles where there are ground based repeaters to help with that problem.

dongchad
04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
that is exactly what i am getting on my car,. dont worry, ur not alone. all evo x owners are experiencing thesame problem.

If and whenever I drive under an overpass - and some other random areas like trees overhead or a mountainside - my Sirius Radio will cut out momentarily. Anyone else having this issue or know how to solve it? Should I get an aftermarket antennae? Thanks!

STIH8TER
04-03-2009, 12:13 AM
yea same here i have the same trouble... stupid satellites lol.

antics22
04-03-2009, 11:30 AM
that is exactly what i am getting on my car,. dont worry, ur not alone. all evo x owners are experiencing thesame problem.

not just evo X owners... All Sirius subscribers experience the same symptoms. This happened on my previous 2 cars and they were different makes/models for what its worth. This is mostly attributed to what Timujin said....

It's normal unless you are in Los Angeles where there are ground based repeaters to help with that problem.

.... this is partly true, but its actually the other way around. Sirius lacks ground-based repeaters coverage so it depends its service more on line-of sight with the satellite for you to get reception. Thats why you will notice the signal cutting in and out under parking structures, tunnels, overpasses, and even during overcast days... very much like DirecTV, etc.

XM radio had more ground-based coverage so it was consistently better with reception, especially during short exposures to parking structures, overpasses, etc. Since the merge of both companies, you would think they would consolidate their technologies, but as of now, they are still working on independent networks per say... (kinda like Sprint and Nextel).

XM would have been my service of choice, but im not complaining. I've learned to live with the quirks of Sirius for the last 4 years...

Hope this helps!

dongchad
04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
yup, i agree they just wanna monopolize the business.
thats why those 2 companies merged

ErroR
04-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Actually they merged because they are both having serious financial issues. Hopefully they will be sticking around for a while.

GreaseFRT
04-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Sirius antennas are line of sight. They will cut out under overpasses. Happens all the time!

patriot1991
08-09-2009, 04:53 AM
I had a Acura TSX 2005 with xm and I lived next to the Rocky Moutains and never had a reception problem unless I was under an overpass or pulling into a garage.Â* I traded it in for the EVO now when I am next to trees it cuts in and out even in neighborhoods.Â* My wife even called it out compared to other vehicles.Â* I am a satellite controller for the Air Force and know that xm/sirius rides over the boeing 702 bus and provides a good quality signal. Remember guys on the ground are relying on the same type of satellite for combat communications.Â* Â*The repeater stations could be a factor to depending on where you live. The sirius sats use elipitcal orbits that circle the globe and xm are in a geo-stationary orbit that stays in a relative parked position over one spot on the earth.

Never the less, the evo xm setup does have a very weak reception compared to the acura. Has anyone replaced the antenna on the stock setup and got better results?

Evolve2GSR
08-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Never the less, the evo xm setup does have a very weak reception compared to the acura. Has anyone replaced the antenna on the stock setup and got better results?

I replaced mine for the Perrin 3" (think its the 3") shorty and I notice it cut out less, but it still does here and there. I don't even realize it anymore unless someone is with me, then I hear it cut out. lol

x[corwyn]
08-16-2009, 01:14 AM
I actually dig a number of the stations, but the constant cut outs are damned annoying. Im probably not going to extend the subscription because of that and just go back to my iPod. Sucks but its cheaper and consistent. If someone finds a good way to boost the signal and reduce the cutouts I would like to try it.

x[corwyn]
08-16-2009, 12:21 PM
how much is it a month after the subscription runs out?

http://www.sirius.com/packages/more#special

EVO KING
08-16-2009, 12:28 PM
i have an aftermarket xm radio and i have the same problem dont worry about it youll be fine

blkside
08-16-2009, 01:22 PM
I have X sat radio and my suburban cuts out way more than the EVO so you are doing pretty good...