PDA

View Full Version : FP Green on stock fuel system 353hp/299tq :D

SoCalRedLine
04-11-2009, 03:03 AM
Just finally got time to tune the boost on the new FP green. No other changes to tune otherwise (besides minor WGDC changes, and TBEC changes).
Stock stuff, 3" TBE, stock turbo, Cosi 272 cams initial tune:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k242/SCRLAmike/SocalHP.jpg
WB 12.3-10.9, Boost: 21-17, Max HP/TQ: 269/260

Stock stuff, same exhaust, same cams, Ported FP green, (over)Ported stock manifold and o2, unchanged tune (besides boost):
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k242/SCRLAmike/SocalHPfp.jpg
WB 11.5-11.3, boost: 20-19.7 (got a bit more control over it now :D), Max HP/TQ: 367/277 (pk tq at 6000!!!)

Ive been really busy lately (taking 21 units at CSULB, studying Mech. Engineering), but i decided to spend my tax return on something fun this year :D. I wanted to see how far the stock fuel system could go; before i was maxing out IDC's at 78%, now they are maxing at 94%. i havent noticed any problems richening it up at the top end, seems that they can get well close to 100% and still add more fuel. I am planning on changing to bigger injectors whenever the university can give me another grant :D (got $8000 for building a solar power assisted bicycle, last semester). I got a chance to port out the manofolds and O2 housing while i had them off, then i realized that the ehxaust runners out of the stock head pretty much match the factory manifoldÂ* :buck2:...oh well, now its ported to fit the future cosworth head, right? Just checkin in, whenever i dont have any HW or tests ill prolly get back out there and start adding more timing and see how far she'll go

heres a (crappy cellphone)pic of the solar bike:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k242/SCRLAmike/c433c86a.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k242/SCRLAmike/70d2eee1.jpg
total cost: $3000 ($400 for bike and materials, $1000 for hub driven brushless motors, $1600 for 3 friggin 12v/76W cheapo solar panels batteries and converters.
Weighs ~400lbs with the 3 marine heavy duty batteries, 250 without.
Range: 30 flat miles on full charge @ 12mph top speed
I built/fabricated/welded/painted everything, and managed over 15 students that have never been in a shop in their life. I had 3 solid guys that built everything, one electrician, one Autocad genius (that designed the frame), and one guy that was a general contractor that really helped out a lot...
...fun project, but next time ill make the guys do more research on better/cheaper solar panels so that the charge time is more in the 8-12hr range.

1WkdEvo
04-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Good stuff man, congrats. When can I get a ride...on the bike that is :)

TeKiZeRo
04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
That's awesome! The bike looks fun too, haha.

SoCalRedLine
04-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys O0

The bike is definately fun, I just wish it was mine and I could ride it whenever.

HMatt
04-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow, and to clarify, this is just with a catback as well? Stock downpipe and stock cat?

SoCalRedLine
04-12-2009, 11:52 PM
No, sorry mods are:
Fp
Ported manifold/hotside/stock o2
Tanabe dp/catless/rre stealth exhaust
Cosi 272 cams
Headstuds
K&n drop-in
Gm 3-port boost solenoid

Tuned using:
Evoscan and ecuflash, fuel trims on mitsulogger
Innovate lc-1
Autometer EGT
Mitsubishi 3-bar map sensor

The only things changed from the before logs were the turbo and ported manifold/o2, everything else was installed in the prior logs. It's just to show how much power you can get by just changing the turbo.

pjb00stin
04-13-2009, 12:25 AM
i always feel good when i wrench on my car,but tuning my car i will never have the feeling=( heheh contrats bro!!!

pj

btw-
is it possible if you can log boost on my car?I can pay you some $$$.My gauge is reading that im boosting 24.5lbs with the stock BCS =(

HMatt
04-13-2009, 10:47 AM
damn, if you were doing that on stock dp and cat, I think I would have wet myself...

SoCalRedLine
04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm prolly gonna put the cat back in there. I'm getting tired of the smell, and can't afford a Mil-spec cat yet :)

MRQ06
05-17-2009, 03:10 PM
IDK if its just me, but the torque seemed a little low.......anyways CONGRATS and BTW i like the bike.

ohhgyeahfasho
05-17-2009, 04:23 PM
it makes sense because hes running low boost on 91oct w/ fp green.

SoCalRedLine
06-13-2009, 03:05 PM
it makes sense because hes running low boost on 91oct w/ fp green.

exactly I cant really push past 19psi at 6.5K rpm on up. The stock fuel system is being taxed heavily. Im maxing out now at 105% IDC at 7200rpm.

I had a chance to get out and test out a few things (tephra V6, and 5.1) so I figured while i was at it, might as well tune my car since it had been almost a year since I really went in and tuned out the timing and boost control tables (to give you an idea...I was still runing Tephra V2). I set out to put back the Turbo Boost Error Correction that I had taken out to avoid overboosting on the FP wastegate.
Here are the error table values:

+3.5% WGDC on my FP wastegate equates to about 1.5PSI, so if Im 10% under 20psi the Error correction adds back that missing PSI. It heavily relies on your BDEL numbers to correct the boost, so it requires a good amount of tuning to get it stable in all gears (no overboost at 3K in 5th). Now it runs 20psi tapering to 19psi at 6.5k to avoid running out of fuel (its fine tho, there is still a good amount of fuel there, and I can still add more...)
Here is my latest power graph:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k242/SCRLAmike/SocalHPfpdynograph.jpg

I was able to add quite a bit of timing on the new turbo. I was able to increase my timing from 4000RPM on up to 7500. At redline Im now running 11°, where I was only able to run 8-9° safely before. Im sure with a little more massaging, I could get it to 13° at redline on 91oct...
Also, the added correction on the boost allowed me to regain my earlier boost curve. I now get 20-21psi at 3400-3500, whereas the initial boost kicked in at around 3700-4000.
All in all, the tune took me a good while of chasing around the boost error, but im satisfied for now with my results. Come fall I should be able to throw a bigger intercooler and injectors on here and get back out there.

Enzo
06-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I am assuming those numbers would be very diff on a dyno right?

silvrEVOIXn818
06-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Congrats!Â* Gotta love the gear dependent boost control w/ the v. 6.Â* :smitten:Â* Â*

enzo:Â* the simulator is a lil off @ peak TQ, but follows the curve fairly accurately.Â* Its no dyno, but its free and user friendly...

evox08
08-08-2009, 11:41 AM
good stuff

dastallion951
08-08-2009, 01:10 PM
pretty impressive numbers on 91 octane, i think its mostly ur cossie cams that got u that good peak number but nonetheless im sure its fun to drive... i just got tuned last wed, see mods in sig, with 117*f dyno room temp and on dejon tool mbc still made 385whp n 355tq on tt's dynojet

SoCalRedLine
08-08-2009, 02:28 PM
^thanks, the new numbers are 370hp/330tq from adding a Perrin fmic, no other tuning.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
08-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Would like to see it on a Mustang Dyno and see what the AFR is....Sounds a little high for 91 octane 370whp.Â* How much knock you have at that setting?Â* Hope None.Â* Don't get too greedy.Â* Thats when things go POP. I have been debating weather or not to buy a Green. I hear the Reds aren't worth a crap. But the Green has been proven for a couple of years. But a new Green is $1800 plus install, and tuning. So maybe $2500 out the door? So I am thinking of running Meth and bank the rest. Im still undecided. But 370whp on 91? Damn.

SoCalRedLine
08-08-2009, 03:30 PM
No knock. Afr is 11.4 solid no taper. Timing hits 13* at redline. 20psi tapering up to 21psi at 6k back to 20psi at redline.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
08-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Wow that is impressive, makes me think twice about getting Meth. Imagine a green on Meth? But now I am getting over my head, haha...mmmm Makes me Think though....

dastallion951
08-08-2009, 04:03 PM
have to admit pretty impressive numbers socal.....but im sure the cossies help a LITTLE with the peak numbers lol

Jeffs2006EvoIX
08-08-2009, 05:40 PM
That is one reason why I went with the Cossie M3's for plans of a bigger turbo. My Car even now makes good power up top with these cams. Only trade off is when the A/C is on they take up too much vacume pressure at idle and with the A/C on the idle drops to about 500rpm then it catches itself and bumps it back up. Even with the tune and idle speed changed it still does this. Just a big ass cam, haha. I like them thus far.

BOSSEVOIX
10-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow that is impressive, makes me think twice about getting Meth. Imagine a green on Meth? But now I am getting over my head, haha...mmmm Makes me Think though....

James will have my graph up soon that shows what the new green with meth will do ;) :D

WOT
10-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Nice results!

if your running a stock o2 housing......lurk around for a used invidia o2 & you'll pick up some serious power everywhere.

Great work!

anxiouz
10-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Damn.Â* I only hit 311whp on RRE's DynoPack with a green on my 8. :-(

bluefire7002
10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Damn.Â* I only hit 311whp on RRE's DynoPack with a green on my 8. :-(

shitty I made 340whp at 21 psi on their same dyno in my green.. in my 8 as well :)

anxiouz
10-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Double you tee eff.Â* I'm at like 23.5psi. I had timing issues at 6500rpm but still... :'( Now I'm truly convinced I have the anti-factory freak. :oops:

bluefire7002
10-08-2009, 10:59 PM
heheh yea I have an 03 too. no intercooler or piping for that matter :-(

where were u tuned

anxiouz
10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Looney (when I got the car close to stock).Â* 230whp MFQ DynoDynamics
Then Alfred at TT (with a ported 9 turbo). 231whp TT Dynojet
Then Charlie (swapping in the green and fmic). 311whp RRE DynoDnamics / 298.5whp MFQ DynoDynamics

All 3 were solid and the car feels amazing.Â* But I always get the "is that all?" look when I tell people my numbers.Â* The last tune was Charlie and he did a really great job (I later messed with my mbc so I caused my own issue timing issues).

anxiouz
11-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Bumped back to life. I want to hear from more So Cal green owners....

bluefire7002
11-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Bumped back to life. I want to hear from more So Cal green owners....

heheh hoping to get an IC so i can get a retune on E85.. Dr said i should be at 450whp on the green =)

TeKiZeRo
11-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Bumped back to life.Â* I want to hear from more So Cal green owners....

When I had the Green, I made 370whp/361wtq on 91 octane when Reese had their dynojet.Â* I later sold it and got the BBK full which spools the same, but makes a decent more amount of power ;).

GokuSSJ4
11-28-2009, 03:04 PM

When I had the Green, I made 370whp/361wtq on 91 octane when Reese had their dynojet.Â* I later sold it and got the BBK full which spools the same, but makes a decent more amount of power ;).
I might do my BBK full version next year.... unless I decide to get my stroker project going next...
green made 431whp 390wtq e85 26 psi Dyno pack... car feels amazing... I wonder how much more the BBK will achieve...

Jeffs2006EvoIX
11-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I don't think your 8's that show less power is due to it being a low powered evo from the factory. I know the 9's make more power with this turbo because you can really mess with the MIVEC to get timing advance along with boost to achieve more power. Second is the tuning abilities of the Tuner. I bet if your car was tuned at the same shop with similar mods you would be within 10whp of each other assuming the same fuel is used in each vehicle.

TeKiZeRo
11-28-2009, 08:16 PM

I might do my BBK full version next year.... unless I decide to get my stroker project going next...
green made 431whp 390wtq e85 26 psi Dyno pack... car feels amazing... I wonder how much more the BBK will achieve...

I think Sean made ~490whp with his BBK on E85 @ 28psi on RRE's dyno.

After my clutch I plan on doing E85 as well, but in the interest of motor longevity, I will be doing a pussy E85 tune lol.

GokuSSJ4
11-28-2009, 08:20 PM

I think Sean made ~490whp with his BBK on E85 @ 28psi on RRE's dyno.

After my clutch I plan on doing E85 as well, but in the interest of motor longevity, I will be doing a pussy E85 tune lol.

26psi isnt too shabby...which is what i currently have... perhaps the car would see #s in the 460 range if the boost would be increase... but you start to wonder, at what cost in the long run, right?? I'm also currently on the stock clutch, which is on my things to do next along with upgrading my oil cooler and perhaps a better radiator...

TeKiZeRo
11-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I want to upgrade the cooling now since there is going to be more power coming on. I want a bigger oil cooler and radiator as well.

HMatt
11-28-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't think your 8's that show less power is due to it being a low powered evo from the factory. I know the 9's make more power with this turbo because you can really mess with the MIVEC to get timing advance along with boost to achieve more power. Second is the tuning abilities of the Tuner. I bet if your car was tuned at the same shop with similar mods you would be within 10whp of each other assuming the same fuel is used in each vehicle.

You would be surprised at how close the 8's and 9's are at making power.

Hell, most people don't even mess with the mivec maps because it doesn't help that much. The only place it helps a little is down low in the RPM range. In a peak numbers battle, drag race, or track event it is really irrelavent because your rpms are already up passed the point where the gear shifts. I mean, all it is is a fancy cam gear that adjusts on the fly. So a cam gear on an VIII set to the same spot the IX cam gets to at high rpm will yield the same peak numbers.

Wasabi
11-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Doesn't help that much? Have you read the information regarding Mivec via GST's posts?

HMatt
11-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Yep... Just looked like there was a little more power down low to me, aided the spool slightly because of the retarded cam lower in the rpm range while maintaining the ability to advance the cam higher in the rpm range.

Don't get me wrong, it does help a little, but the vast majority of the power that stock IX's have over stock VIII's is in the TURBO, not mivec. And for PEAK power, meaning high rpm with the cam advanced, against an VIII with a cam gear advancing the cam the same amount, the peak and high-rpm power is on an even keel. I don't remember my RPM's dropping below 4000 or 4500 rpm during a drag, do you?

I mean hell, if it really made as much of a difference as you guys seem to think, then AMS would do an MIVEC conversion on thier drag evo to make more power. It's not like it's that hard, and it's not like they don't have the money.

But whatever, I've said my piece, and if this requires further discussion, someone create another thread before the mods ban us all for being off-topic.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
11-29-2009, 07:20 PM
I dissagree with you on the MIVEC.Â* On a Race Car you are right, on a DD that is a weekend warrior I dissagree.Â* The MIVEC helped my car with my Cossworth M3's all the way to redline.Â* James spent HOURS on my MIVEC mapping to achieve something I liked and what he liked.Â* My cams on an 8?Â* Even with Cam Gears would BARELY idle, I know cause James had a simalar set on an 8 in his shop when my cams were being installed.Â* There are only really 2 ways to make power on the Evo, or any car really.Â* Timing and Boost.Â* The MIVEC makes things simplier if you know how to tune it, Cam gears are great on a Race car, but on a DD?? I would think it would be a pain in the Yass.Â* The ECU can correct problems much quicker than someone moving a sprocket 1 degree at a time.Â* So its up in the air.Â* True, built Evo 8's and 9's put out similar numbers, but look at the dyno graphs.Â* They are not similar, and the MIVEC DOES help.Â* I was lucky enough to have owned both, an 8 and a 9 and both are such great cars.Â* But the 9 has a slight edge in the Real world.Â* Both are wicked fast in the RACE world.

SoCalRedLine
11-29-2009, 08:37 PM
K, mivec does help with spool and broadening the torque curve. But on a drag car you don't really care too muh about spool. Mivec does NOT increase your power over that of a static cam, as mivec cannot increase the lift or duration of a cam. So, mivec helps out the guys that road race and need usable power before redline, and that's why all the uberfast drag cars u see have an Evo 8 motor. End to the mivec argument? :D

HMatt
11-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Jeez, I even asked for someone to create another thread and nobody did I guess.

Sorry for polluting your thread dude.

Jeffs2006EvoIX
11-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah the post took a turn for sure sorry guys. No arguement on MIVEC at all. MIVEC helps my car for what I use it for. DD use and weekend/monthly AutoX use. My car will never see a drag strip.

SoCalRedLine
11-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Lol. Everyone prolly thinks I'm some angry dude that hates forum bsing, but it's cool. Were all here to learn a bit too, right? Just tryin to help Evo owners with random info O0

lemmonhead
11-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I see 2 problems here,
#1 uising the evoscan hp/torque functions are worthless
#2 the biggest problem, using university grant money on personel purchases, you should be ashamed of yourself.
what university you go to and who is your dean by the way? I would like to speak to them.

HMatt
11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
^Looney tuning showed something very interesting in an old post... no matter the program or dyno, for some reason, the peak numbers might be different but the GAINS when compared to a baseline run were about the same...

and to response to 2.... you can't be serious...

SoCalRedLine
12-01-2009, 03:38 AM
I see 2 problems here,
#2 the biggest problem, using university grant money on personel purchases, you should be ashamed of yourself.
what university you go to and who is your dean by the way? I would like to speak to them.

I see no problems here.
#1 The numbers used and reported are taken from a dataloglab type program that takes into account vehicle weight and drag. Besides my results are specific to my vehicle, thusly showing gains to my vehicle from before to after.
#2 have fun talking to the dean. Maybe if you went to college you might have learned how to spell big words, such as 'using' or 'personal.' maybe they could help you get in on a learning disability grant. :)

Evolutionized
12-01-2009, 04:08 AM
I see 2 problems here,

and who the fuck are you to tell him what he can do with his money?

fuck off

MRavenIX
12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I see 2 problems here,

and who the fuck are you to tell him what he can do with his money?
fuck off

hahahahaha... pwned.

Well I guess to add to this thread, Mr. SoCal's Green will be on my car as of Thursday, and tuned sometime this weekend...

EvoPwr
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
My cams on an 8?Â* Even with Cam Gears would BARELY idle, I know cause James had a simalar set on an 8 in his shop when my cams were being installed.Â*

What cams were you running? I have hks 272s and don't have the idle problems you are talking about.

GokuSSJ4
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
My cams on an 8?Â* Even with Cam Gears would BARELY idle, I know cause James had a simalar set on an 8 in his shop when my cams were being installed.

What cams were you running? I have hks 272s and don't have the idle problems you are talking about.
when i had my VIII I never experience any issues with any of the different cams i ran in the past .... Perhaps the problem is something else and the easiest thing to do is to blame it on the cams... Specially when running a 272/272...

yobless
12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I've seen HKS 272's and 280's all day and if the right person tunes them then you should have no issues. It's always the cams fault.

lemmonhead
12-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I see 2 problems here,

well if your not worried about it then please PM me your name, what college and dean. You do realize you can and probably will be thrown out of the university for such unethical behaviour. Im going to look into it but this might be a real crime probably not a felony like embezlement but still a serious enough nature to get a record.
I see no problems here.
#1 The numbers used and reported are taken from a dataloglab type program that takes into account vehicle weight and drag. Besides my results are specific to my vehicle, thusly showing gains to my vehicle from before to after.
#2 have fun talking to the dean. Maybe if you went to college you might have learned how to spell big words, such as 'using' or 'personal.' maybe they could help you get in on a learning disability grant. :)

HMatt
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
^wow... just wow... he WAS serious... wow...

SoCalRedLine
12-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Lol. Serious. What a douche.
I go to csulb, and I get grants because I have no job and I pay my OWN way through school. If you want to seriously go through with your witch burning trial, go for it. You'll not be able to prove a damn thing. Any alleged 'proof' u may think u have is solely hearsay. Have fun being a douche in the meantime.

pikadosboy
12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I see 2 problems here,
Dude mind your own business and go to blow your car with the im not upgrading Fp and injectors on a FP red!!!!

pikadosboy
12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Lol. Serious. What a douche.
I go to csulb, and I get grants because I have no job and I pay my OWN way through school. If you want to seriously go through with your witch burning trial, go for it. You'll not be able to prove a damn thing. Any alleged 'proof' u may think u have is solely hearsay. Have fun being a douche in the meantime.
+12341234 for the hearsay.

bluefire7002
12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I see 2 problems here,
Dude mind your own business and go to blow your car with the im not upgrading Fp and injectors on a FP red!!!!

i was just trying to read.. but.. LMAO fuckin javi

TeKiZeRo
12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
I see 2 problems here,

Wow dude, really?Â* You have THAT much spare time to poke your head in other people's affairs? What business is this of yours?

WOT
12-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Â* :2funny:Â* :uglystupid2:Â* :grin:Â* O0

Now that's funny!

on a serious note------did you ever get a decent o2 housing?

Jeffs2006EvoIX
01-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Having a Mechanical Engineer here on SoCalEvo would be a HUGE asset. I am not a big fan of maxing out stock stuff, but its a learning experience. Most Evo's never are pushed hard enough anyway so most stock bits may be practical. Unfortunately, when you need to really push them one day, thats the day you may have a failure. Some parts fail no big deal, but you blow something? Could get pricey, is why most people upgrade to just have a larger margin of error. I do admire your work, and your ability. The FP Green is an amazing turbo, I personally feel for a DD car, the green is the best set up.

SoCalRedLine
01-03-2010, 05:28 PM
^again, I agree. That's why i upgraded to larger injectors. This is a thread to show that it can be done, not that it should. :)

and to WOT. I ported the stock one, then sold my turbo (to make car payments). Being a student sucks sometimes...:(

Jeffs2006EvoIX
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Dont feel bad, I am out of school and am still broke!! Woman and kids drain the wallet faster than the Evo does haha. Something for you to look forward to. haha

whitesnake
05-13-2010, 05:48 PM
This is noob jumping in the ring.... I have the fp green on my VIII w 272 cams... can I get 450 whp from a green? I'm using stock ecu with tune... Just seeing what other green turbos are doing

anxiouz
05-13-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't think you can get there, even on E85.

navyman24
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
This is noob jumping in the ring.... I have the fp green on my VIII w 272 cams... can I get 450 whp from a green? I'm using stock ecu with tune... Just seeing what other green turbos are doing
[

do you have the old skool green or the new HTA green w/ 80mm that whistles like a mother fugger!!!?

whitesnake
05-14-2010, 03:26 PM
No whistling haha so ima say no! Lol

Johnson
04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
more tq?

amaev05
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
WTF? /\

lilenday
05-11-2012, 02:31 AM
Nice numbers!

amaev05
05-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Quit necro bumping numb nuts!

Brand0n
05-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Quit necro bumping numb nuts!

Agreed, you already made a bad name for yourself, might as well make a new name and start over.

tschad
04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Very impressive, not many ppl can say they tune their own car

evodriver49
04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Agreed, you already made a bad name for yourself, might as well make a new name and start over.
hahahhaahaha slayed :rotfl:

HMatt
04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Very impressive, not many ppl can say they tune their own car

Necro bump from transexualchad...

(that is what ts stands for, right?)

GokuSSJ4
04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
thread lock and clean.. no need to ruin a thread base on random opinions...