PDA

View Full Version : New here, is stock suspension crap or what

Trbospnkr
04-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I just purchased a new X Last Tuesday and the stock suspension is crap. I feel every bump that I roll over or just plain oh making lane changes, I'm looking into
KW variant III, is it true that they don't make variant II for the X. Local shop qouted me 2k for variant III's but I was thinking is this really a night and day difference or maybe I shouldn't expect a whole lot from the X.

CICreations
04-15-2009, 06:12 PM
What vehicle are you coming from?

Trbospnkr
04-15-2009, 06:14 PM
bmw 335 kw variant II

Terenus
04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
It's not a luxury car if you had that impression when you bought the car. KWs will give you the benefit of having a superior handling with similar to stock comfort but it will not feel like a lexus.

Trbospnkr
04-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for your input! your right in that retrospect but is it true that they do not make the KW variant 2's for the evo X and only the KW 3's, I just don't feel like paying 2k for it when I purchased my my KW varian 2's for 1200.

1GGEvo
04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
kw's (or any coilover for that matter) won't make your ride more "smooth"

1GGEvo
04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
only v3's to my knowledge

evopaul
04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Noobs !!!!
just call John @ www.muellerized.com
For your information.x suspension is freaking many times more plush than my ix gsr!
Want to feel every little hole in the road? I will take you for a ride in my ix...
*265-35-18 r615
*gsr stock struts "stiff with stock springs"
* swift spec R springs

But thats what an evo is!!
"a detuned street race car"

jdmcwestevo
04-15-2009, 06:34 PM
ya come ride in my VIII dude i drove a X felt like a cadilac lol there are many other coilovers that are great as well and dont go straight to mueller if ur looking for suspension thats just a headache waiting to happen shop around

HaVoK23
04-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Should've stuck with the 335 if your looking for a comfortable ride

GilbertFlores
04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
if you want a comfortable ride then you bought the wrong damn car. should have stuck to the BMW...

evo isnt made to be pretty and comfortable to ride it...it does one thing...handle...and it does it well so get used to the ride quality and by adding coils...it may help a little if you soften it up a bit but then you lose the handling characteristics that coils are made for.

My 9 with Megan Track coils, muellerized suspension and set on about a moderately hard setting....would be death to your kidneys when i would hit hard bumps so the X you have is way nicer.

VinceR
04-15-2009, 06:55 PM
get softer aftermarket springs and taller all season tires.....thats probably all you can do

CICreations
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
bmw 335 kw variant II

Yea sorry bro, I think you bought the wrong car if you are looking for a smooth floaty GT ride.

Muellerized...
04-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I just purchased a new X Last Tuesday and the stock suspension is crap. I feel every bump that I roll over or just plain oh making lane changes, I'm looking into
KW variant III, is it true that they don't make variant II for the X. Local shop qouted me 2k for variant III's but I was thinking is this really a night and day difference or maybe I shouldn't expect a whole lot from the X.

What model evo x did you purchase?

The mr version comes with softer bilstein shocks and softer eibach springs than the gsr.

We have many suspension options here in costa mesa in stock, everything from both the kyb and bilstein stock shocks with our lowering spring solutions to JICs and Motons.

I suggest reading here:
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=76330.0

Best of luck to you.

Azian
04-16-2009, 12:18 AM
you definitely bought the wrong car you shoulda stuck with luxury

gengo
04-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Calm down everyone. The guy didn't buy the wrong car... he just doesn't have experience with Evos. There are many options to get the kind of ride you want. I still remember the first car I bought that had stiff suspension... it took some getting used to! Of course, I learned to appreciate that firm ride because it gave me better handling on my spirited drives.

Another option: If you have a GSR, you could find someone who is selling the stock MR shock setup. Those usually sell pretty cheap and would probably give you the ride you are used to.

pikadosboy
04-16-2009, 09:56 AM
what?

indohan
04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
You should have done a test drive before buying it...

You should have tried VIII or IX before complaining about X. They are much worse the X.

SIXXSPD
04-20-2009, 08:41 PM
OP, coming from an E90...well, dont expect the ride that we used to have on the E90 even with the H&R sport springs, the ride seems to be more comfortable than stock EVO X suspension.
KWs is not the solution, it will only give you a better handling, not a better ride.
thats how the evo rides bro, i dealt with it.....been there, done that.
LOL!!

EM@WORKS
04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Well budget is always the biggest issue. The KW variants and Ohlins may provide the ride you are looking for, but your internal noise level may go up. You can reduce noise levels, but you may not be using the camber plates that come in their kits.

If quietness is a mandatory requirement, I'll agree with gengo's recommendation. Go buy a set of EVO MR shocks and springs.

jsyang15
05-13-2009, 04:55 PM
squishy rides aren't even found on the 3 series anymore... especially ones with sport package. benz and jaguars are the only water bed rides left minus domestic lincolns... even caddy turning sporty on us :)

captain-stl
08-05-2009, 07:27 PM
well that is what happens when some one buys a car to act kool.. they dont even know what they are buying.. he was better off with the 335...

scumdog
08-05-2009, 07:37 PM
alright,can 10 more people tell him he should have kept the bmw if he wanted a nice ride.Or he bought the wrong car for a smooth ride?do people actually read the other post?if so do they really just think"hey,ill write the same thing all those other people did.geez it gets old!

blkside
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
hey,ill write the same thing all those other people did.geez it gets old!

lol

WWboost
08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
alright,can 10 more people tell him he should have kept the bmw if he wanted a nice ride.Or he bought the wrong car for a smooth ride?do people actually read the other post?if so do they really just think"hey,ill write the same thing all those other people did.geez it gets old!

wow someone on this site actually notices these things like i do! Took the words outta my mouth :P

ChrisF
08-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I would highly recommend going down to visit Muellerized and asking for a quick ride in a Moton equipped car. For reference, my wife just got a 335i sport and I have an EVO VIII with Motons. I was struck by just how amazing the ride is in the EVO by comparison. I really like KW's too, but to me, there is no comparison; Moton makes the best compromise of performance and ride quality.