PDA

View Full Version : Need to get brake pedal and gas pedal closer together

DSVHEVO1
04-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Anyone know of an after market pedal that will get gas and brake pedal closer together.Â* It's difficult for me under hard braking to heel toe.Â* It seems as my big toe is the only thing on brake pedal. Is there any way to bend gas pedal torward gas pedal without putting angle on gas pedal itselfl?
Thanks

ebevo
04-24-2009, 10:01 AM
I've bought only the gas pedal for two of my vehicles.

I bought some cheap ones "razo" brand that don't require drilling into the pedal for install.

Does the job for ~$20 bux.

http://www.amazon.com/Razo-RP71-Exec-Spts-Pedal/dp/B000CPJKD6

Picked that one up for the beater 2weeks ago and it does the job just fine.

This one is the one I have on the evo.
http://www.amazon.com/RP81A-Competition-Sport-Accelerator-Small/dp/B000CPJKDG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1240591779&sr=1-8

I like this one since you can adjust the swivel of the heel plate for easier heel-and-toe operation.

I prefer the feel of the 1st link I posted since it feels solid under my foot when I mash the throttle. The 2nd one feels much lighter and less dense.

If anything I think these pedal just increases the overall thickness of the gas pedal. I heel toe by rotating my ankle almost 90 degrees and blipping the gas pedal with my heel rather than what most people do is roll the ankle with the big toe on brake pedal and blip throttle with the little toe.

It was that extra dip of the heel that would throw me off so I got the gas pedals to reduce the distance my heel has to dip and never look backed.

If you don't like the feel you can always just take off the pedal and try another one. I haven't had to re tighten the screws since installation ~ 4 years.

j_nizzle
04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
pm "Fuel"

i believe she had the pedals modified to better suit her feet size.

ultraflip
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
just bend it

Muellerized...
04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
pm "Fuel"

pm "Fuel"

We did that at my office, modifying the stocker pedal is the way to go.

j_nizzle
04-25-2009, 09:51 AM
OP, there you have it...hit up "Muellerized..."

Sam Smash
05-04-2009, 06:48 PM
i wear my dads shoes, this helps me

gsrIXevo
05-04-2009, 07:11 PM
just bend it

too bad you cant do that to a X.... (sorry, it was a poor joke. yet its soooo true).

flyingscot
05-07-2009, 09:44 PM
ha,ive never seen an adjustable acc edal like that before

todaysivxx
01-25-2010, 10:52 PM
If anything I think these pedal just increases the overall thickness of the gas pedal. I heel toe by rotating my ankle almost 90 degrees and blipping the gas pedal with my heel rather than what most people do is roll the ankle with the big toe on brake pedal and blip throttle with the little toe.

i use the heel too but isnt that why its called a heal toe. big toe on brake little toe on gas. how wide is THAT foot? gees! lol

DSVHEVO1
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Sorry, I'm not a Japanese guy, I'm 6ft 190lbs.Â* I cannot heel toe because my knees lock the steering wheel. i should have said "Roll the foot" from brake to gas pedal.Â* It's similar in theory though i guess :idiot2:

Thanks for the help!

evolved13
03-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Find a newer toyota, quite a few of them have brake pedals real close to the accelerator, from people stomping on them to get their car to stop. Check close for front-end damage though.

MRK3
03-09-2010, 11:40 PM
I just bought an evo from south coast. it came with pedal covers and it enlarged the brake and gas pedal so they were closer together..look nice If you want them come get them. im in Temecula. the gas pedal is off but not the brake and clutch are still on. pm if interested

Rencii
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I got a question that pertains to Heel/Toe. Did you guys have to alter the pedal heights at all to be comfortable with heel/toe techniques? On my X it feels like the brake is ALOT higher than the throttle, so it's a bit uncomfortable to heel/toe. Anyone know if its possible to alter the pedal heights?

jdmcwestevo1
03-12-2010, 03:24 PM
i drive both an 8 and a X and have no issues doing heel toe at all....its all in the way you do it. i also have a miata all the pedals are very different on those cars lol you just have to adjust your foot not your pedals lol. maybe if you have really small feet i could understand idk different shoes might help you. i can do it in sparco driving shoes, piloti driving shoes, marine corps combat boots/jungle boots haha but cant drive for shit barefoot..

Mister
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
^Yes, but you aren't 6"0 and 190 lbs like the OP.

Here is what the Porsche guys do: (Just build an extension to the gas pedal)

Saberwolf
04-21-2011, 04:53 PM
It helps to have pedals that are designed for heel-toe downshifts such as aftermarket ones that have a wider gas pedal.Â* I recently installed some Autovation competition pedals and they are awesome.Â* The grip on the clutch and brake pedals are excellent and give you that much more confidence when shifting/stopping, especially with wet soles.Â* The gas pedal is a bit wider to help cover that gap between the brake pedal.Â* The install was slightly challenging as I had to drill through my stock pedals but nothing impossible.Â* Just don't be in a hurry to install and you'll be fine.Â* Here's their link:

http://www.autovationparts.com/store/mitsubishilancer.html