PDA

View Full Version : 02 sensor popped off

chey16
04-25-2009, 11:08 PM
my second o2 sensor popped off on my uncatted test pipe and i was wondering why i needed a second sensor when my car seems to be running the same, except much louder=P

fixed for every1 haha

help is greeeeeeeatly appreciated
thanks!

mrobs15
04-25-2009, 11:51 PM
well i am going to take a guess as to why your car is louder,

there is a hole in your exhaust pipe before the muffler?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffler

GilbertFlores
04-25-2009, 11:58 PM
are you serious?? do you even know anything about cars...if you have a sensor plugged into the hole in your car....and then the plug pops out...omg...can it be...a loud exhaust leak...

wow who would have known...

my suggestion is that you get a replacement o2 sensor since you stripped out the other one and it seems to not be holding in there.

mrobs15
04-26-2009, 12:06 AM
can it be...a loud exhaust leak...

n0 g1lb3rt, that w00d mak3 cents!

GilbertFlores
04-26-2009, 12:07 AM
can it be...a loud exhaust leak...

n0 g1lb3rt, that w00d mak3 cents!
oh yeah....sorry robs...forgot we cant be making any kind of sense around here.... :D

mrobs15
04-26-2009, 12:10 AM
why start now, as much as we troll the noobs around here, this place wouldn't be the same with out them!

GilbertFlores
04-26-2009, 12:12 AM
yeah man...we were all noobs once...but i mean c'mon...its like the world breed a new kind of noob that doesnt know a damn thing...

pitty really. what kind of person will hear a noise and not look under the car to see there is a 7/8" hole in his exhaust and not figure out why its louder...

mrobs15
04-26-2009, 12:15 AM
yeah i can see asking whether its bad to run with your o2 sensor hanging out, but then to ask why its louder?? to much.

and i hope your test pipe isn't stripped too, cause then you have to re tap it, and thats a bother.

chey16
04-26-2009, 12:30 AM
sorry for asking a question... i thot thats what forums are for..

GilbertFlores
04-26-2009, 12:32 AM
yeah there for questions....but i mean c'mon...if you take at least 10 more seconds to think about what your asking...then you would figure it out...

question: o2 sensor poped out of exhaust....why is it louder?

answer: oooo yeah maybe because there is a huge hole in my exhaust now.... ta da O0

chey16
04-26-2009, 12:34 AM
ok well thanks anyways

GilbertFlores
04-26-2009, 12:35 AM
the o2 sensor is there to read for your cat and emissions. you should have one in there. if anything, remove your test pipe, check the threads in it, get a new o2 sensor and put it together.

go to Road Race and get a cel spacer for the o2 sensor. if not then make your own using the spark plug fouler. its just to keep the check engine light off. but i do suggest to get that exhaust leak patched up and taken care of, its not good for the car...and also you mentioned that you were racing your friend...if your doing it on the street...then keep that shit on the track and quit making a bad name for us O0

chey16
04-26-2009, 12:40 AM
i dont think its the test pipe cuz we stripped it taking it OUT of the stock one. so im just gunna order a new o2 sensor

thx for the help and sorry for the stupid questionnn...

pikadosboy
04-26-2009, 02:00 AM
hey guys i was racin a buddy of mine and i have a uncatted test pipe and when i was installing it we stripped the o2 sensor but made it fit and stick until tonight... it came out. since its uncatted i didnt think it would matter much and my check engine light didnt even come on. my car sounds MUCH MUCHHHH louder now.... any1 kno the reason why and if the o2 sensor makes a difference to have on an uncatted pipe???

help is greeeeeeeatly appreciated
thanks!
im beeeeeeeeeen serious bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gear Grinder
04-26-2009, 06:11 AM
I think the question you are asking is, "why do I need a second O2 sensor, if when it fell off, I didn't notice anything different with how the car runs?".

mrobs15
04-26-2009, 06:21 AM
I think the question you are asking is, "why do I need a second O2 sensor, if when it fell off, I didn't notice anything different with how the car runs?".

a question like that starts a good, informative thread.

it's all about how you use the forum, if you make yourself look silly. you will be told how silly you look.

Gear Grinder
04-26-2009, 08:28 AM

a question like that starts a good, informative thread.

it's all about how you use the forum, if you make yourself look silly. you will be told how silly you look.
O0

chey16
04-26-2009, 11:46 AM
ok lol. this might be another stupid question but why do i need the o2 sensor if my test pipe is uncatted and why is it bad to run w/o it?

Gear Grinder
04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.2carpros.com/how_does_it_work/oxygen_sensor.htm

It doesn't tell you everything, but does give you an idea how the o2 sensor works. Basically the o2 tells the ECU what your afr air/fuel ratio from the exhaust, and the ecu will adjust how much fuel the engine needs. If you plug your sensor straight in to the test pipe, it will read a fuel rich environment, and take fuel away. Lean is good when it's controlled. Uncontrolled/untuned extremely lean condition will end up making the engine go POP! For sure there is more to it than that, but this is the basics.

chey16
04-26-2009, 02:25 PM
i see, cuz a buddy of mine said its not a big deal because its only used if the pipe is catted... im glad i came to the forums instead haha. thanks for all the help and sorry for the bad post

mrobs15
04-26-2009, 03:29 PM
i see, cuz a buddy of mine said its not a big deal because its only used if the pipe is catted... im glad i came to the forums instead haha. thanks for all the help and sorry for the bad post

does your buddy drive an evo?

pikadosboy
04-26-2009, 03:32 PM

does your buddy drive an evo?
i will say fuck no!

chey16
04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
nah he doesnt. he drives a mazda speed 3 haha. would you guys say im okay to drive with it out until a new one comes in the mail? about 5 days or so..? or should i not drive at all until it comes??

wheres the best place to order from?

mrobs15
04-26-2009, 03:50 PM
i would say yes, but i mean limited, don't drive to vegas with it like that. The car is built with 2 o2 sensors for a reason.

GilbertFlores
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
you can drive with it. just try to be easy on it and find a bolt or something to plug the hole it was at. this will keep the noise down and at least make it run a little more stable. just tie the o2 sensor up somewhere so it doesnt damage the connectors for it and call it a day until you get the new one in. O0

sorry for my other posts...just i cant stand bad questions. makes the forum worthless to others when things are asked wrong or stated without thinking O0

mrobs15
04-26-2009, 03:53 PM
its okay, since we did this now, next time he wont. must school the forum noobs! O0

edit: english is hard :idiot2:

chey16
04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
ya i do tend to speak without thinking, bad habit of mine haha. dont worry about the posts i probably would have done the same if i knew what i was talking about too :buck2: Â*ill be driving very minimally Â*until the new one comes.

thank you all very very much for all the help

chey16
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
its okay, since we did this now, next time he wont. must school the forum noobs! O0

edit: english is hard :idiot2:

^^ correccttt

Gear Grinder
04-26-2009, 04:19 PM
The car is built with 2 o2 sensors for a reason.
It's because it take readings before, and after the cat. Mostly to do with smog stuff.

GilbertFlores
04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
The car is built with 2 o2 sensors for a reason.
It's because it take readings before, and after the cat. Mostly to do with smog stuff.
+1

slowevo9
04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
correct me if im wrong but i thought the one on the o2 housing is for a/r and the one on the cat is measuring the emission.

dastallion951
04-26-2009, 06:38 PM
ur right slowevo the front 02 sensor monitors what air/fuel ratios are coming into the exhaust and the 02 sensor after cat, monitors the air fuel ratios after the cat, the ecu reads both sensors n monitors and makes adjustments to the car depending on what both sensors are reading...now if they both read the same IE no cel simulator in the back sensoror cough cough illegal test pipe(i know i jock one too) , the ecu will read the same from both sensors triggering the catalytic effieciency code becuz it thinks the cat is damaged and/or gone.
my 0.02

chey16
04-26-2009, 10:10 PM
i put my o2 back in and taped it with electrical tape until i can get a new one.... im guessing thats okay or is that another noobie thing of me to do -_- haha

Mike W
04-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Three pages and it is _almost_ answered completely.

There is no O2 housing on an EVO X. There is a cast turbo outlet. It has no O2 sensor housed in it.

Next down the line is a short and relatively straight down pipe. There is an O2 sensor in the down pipe. The ECU looks at the voltage of this O2 sensor and adjusts the fuel trims at idle and part throttle to keep things safe and get good gas mileage. You really need this first main O2 sensor in place and working. You get horrible gas mileage if it is not there or dead. Ther car will not blow up with out it however.

Next is the catalytic converter. It gets all red hot inside and attempts to burn off what didnt burn in the motor. The Feds want to be sure it stays working good so they had the auto makers put a second O2 sensor after the cat to see how well it cleaned things up. When you are at a steady state cruise the ECU can run a check and compare the front main O2 sensor voltage with the rear O2 sensor voltage. There should be a difference between them. If the difference is too big, too little or it senses no voltage at all then the ECU turns the Service Engine Soon light on. The feds are hoping you will run straight to the dealer and get that sucker fixed right up.

Now if some scofflaw comes along and takes the cat out, the SES light comes on. Nothing bad happens to how the car runs. No limp mode for this. Some kids will try to trick the ECU into thinking that everything is OK by putting a spacer to hide some fumes from the second O2 sensor. This usually works but there may be some trial and error getting the hole size just right.

If the threads on the sensor and/or the sensor are messed up, then the sensor will keep poping out. Auto parts stores have double sided spark plug thread chasers that can clean up the 18mm threads in the bung. If you need the little yellow light off get a new sensor. You will find it an expensive fix to a little problem. One of our spacers may give you enough clean threads to work with so that you dont need a new sensor. Also a small pointy file can often salvage some messed up threads on the sensor. We also have block off plugs for O2 sensor holes.

Mike W

mrobs15
04-26-2009, 11:28 PM
yay for good answers from someone who knows.

Gear Grinder
04-27-2009, 06:11 AM
cool :laugh:

chey16
04-27-2009, 01:45 PM
that helped tremendously. I'm glad my thread turned put to be pretty informative:)

getting_evo_soon
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
yeah there for questions....but i mean c'mon...if you take at least 10 more seconds to think about what your asking...then you would figure it out...

question: o2 sensor poped out of exhaust....why is it louder?

answer: oooo yeah maybe because there is a huge hole in my exhaust now.... ta da O0

LOL ...

chey16
04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
any1 know of any cheap places to get the sensor? i just called south coast mitsu and its $371.....

help:/

GilbertFlores
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
ask massimo power. tell him i sent you. should be able to get it for a damn good price O0

mrobs15
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
yeah, those things cost a shiny penny!

chey16
04-27-2009, 04:52 PM
ask massimo power. tell him i sent you. should be able to get it for a damn good price O0

thanks a lot man ill try it out see how it goes

Mike W
04-27-2009, 06:22 PM
$371... that is why I am talking about fixing them threads up. Now if it has been dragging on the road it will be dead-dead.

It is free to pull the cluster and pop the little light bulb out :-) A transmission drain plug will block off the hole.

$371... little yellow light.... $371... little yellow light... Decisions decisions :-P

Mike W

chey16
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Mike I was just having that conversation with my friend hahah I think I choose the light..................it was dragging on the ground for about 30 seconds before I realized something was dragging... Hahah