PDA

View Full Version : Got boost leak?

GST Motorsports
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm sure most people know that boost leaks can kill power and cause drivability and tuning issues.

However it is nice to be reminded visually sometimes at just how much a boost leak can suck power out of your car. :)

This is a Evo 10 MR with the following mods:

MilSpec 100cell cat
Cosworth Drop-in air filter
Nisei hot side intercooler pipe upgrade
Factory ECU (no tuning yet)

Dotted lines are baseline with a boost leak, solid lines are after fixing boost leak. Amazing what a good boost leak can do eh? :uglystupid2:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/evo_tunes/mike_d_boostLeakEvo10_042409/mike_d_boostLeak_042409.jpg

So far, every single Evo 10 that has come through the shop with upgraded intercooler pipes have had boost leaks. Remember to properly install and tighten the clamps! :)

VinceR
04-26-2009, 03:14 PM
lol noobs... j/k wow thats a big difference in power

gengo
04-26-2009, 08:40 PM
You have totally blown my confidence for installing the UICP I just ordered for my X! Crap... was hoping to do this myself and save a few bucks.

GokuSSJ4
04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
You have totally blown my confidence for installing the UICP I just ordered for my X! Crap... was hoping to do this myself and save a few bucks.
Also selecting a well suited IC clamp always helps at least in trying to minimize a boost leak aside installation error.
Using T bolt clamps at times can hurt more than the help we all believe in getting since a lot of us upgraded to those from the stock clamps. After a few years in seeing what it can damage and do, i rather (n others recommended them as well) use a heavy duty clamp that wont damage an IC pipe and will be less unlikely to have a boost leak (install properly of course)

GokuSSJ4
04-26-2009, 09:42 PM

You can totally do it yourself if you do it correctly. I think the biggest problem is that people do not tighten them enough, of course you can also overtighten them and ovalize the pipes. The perfect amount is tight but not "he-man" tight. :)

"he-man" hehe that;s a nice way of putting things into perspective... :2funny:

gengo
04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Is there a problem in using the clamps that come with typical aftermarket UIC Piping? Â*From what I can tell, most of them come with worm gear (aka hose) clamps.

EM@WORKS
04-28-2009, 09:50 AM
To provide a bit of supporting input.

We've noticed the HKS UICP have the worst fitment issue out of all the brands on the market.