PDA

View Full Version : ECU reflash options

Jaku
04-29-2009, 02:54 AM
asking this for a friend, looking for a base flash

options? price? thanks!

blkside
04-29-2009, 06:50 AM
What do you mean a base flash. Ecu based tuning has come a long way since "mail in flashes" If you are talking about a flash to clean up the stock mapping. I would get some mods then flash it. Its a few hundred dollars to get flashed with ECUFlash and add 350 for the initial ECUTek license and you are getting 40 horses or so. If you add an exhaust or few other parts you are talking about much higher gains.

Mike W
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
With the US Dollar holding it's own these days the ECUTek License is only $220 now.

For a custom flash done on a dyno here in So Cal it is running $450 to $500 from what I have seen. For a bit more accuracy with a better logger and the ability to log actual knock add the ECUTek license from a tuner that has the ECUTek software. There is one local tuner that does custom road tunes for the price of mail in generic flashes.

From the differences I have seen from car to car with the EVO X (close to 50 Xs now) I would stay away from a mail in flash. I dont see the value myself.

Have your buddy get some basic mods first, especially what ever intake he'll will stick with. Then check out the local custom tuned options.

Mike W

Jaku
04-29-2009, 10:56 AM
basically he has a bone stock MR with intake from what i heard, and his friends are going to chip in a reasonable value birthday gift for him, is there any reflash option just for a stock X? any reputable local tuners?

Jaku
04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
more questions after hearing a few options

in my friend's case that his car is stock now and maybe more future exhaust upgrade, should he go with ECUTek or Cobb AP?

blkside
04-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Go with ECUTek. If you go with Cobb its like having a subscription to mail in flashes because its not really tuning it like a qualified tuner like Scott Gray or Mike W can. Each car is different from each other so 1 machine thats mass produced cant take advantage of varying parts. If you want to do something thats moderately priced. I would get him an AEM Intake and maybe a MXP Downpipe in prep of exhaust. If he has an intake SYSTEM (not drop in) then I would get him his upper and lower pipes. All of these combos are around 450 per set at RRE (according to the site) www.roadraceengineering.com

Jaku
04-29-2009, 12:40 PM
what are his local tuner options for ECUTek? he is in SGV

Mike W
04-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I would like to volunteer as his local tuner option :-) ECUTek and ECUFlash spoken here.

Have him hit me up for options. [email protected]

I can do as little or as much as he wants to pay for.

Mike W

Jaku
04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
email sent, thanks for the help!

HB Speed
04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Go with ECUTek. If you go with Cobb its like having a subscription to mail in flashes because its not really tuning it like a qualified tuner like Scott Gray or Mike W can. Each car is different from each other so 1 machine thats mass produced cant take advantage of varying parts. If you want to do something thats moderately priced. I would get him an AEM Intake and maybe a MXP Downpipe in prep of exhaust. If he has an intake SYSTEM (not drop in) then I would get him his upper and lower pipes. All of these combos are around 450 per set at RRE (according to the site) www.roadraceengineering.com
THat is soooo un true

Cobb has the same (or more) parameters and logging that Ecutek does
Costs about the same and you can swap maps at will (the ap is simply a map loader/ flasher/ datalogger)

$1000 AP and CUSTOM Tune from us
for 2 maps 91 and Race gas (Â* supply your own orÂ* buy from us for $60) , plus Valet and anti theft maps free!!

blkside
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
With AccessPort or the AccessPro?

HB Speed
04-29-2009, 10:15 PM
With AccessPort or the AccessPro?
We use Access tuner pro To make the maps for the accessport ( hand helpd flashing device)

The AccessPORT provides owners of 2008 USDM Mitsubishi EVO X vehicles the ability to unlock power hidden within the factory ECU. Performance gains across the entire powerband can be quickly realized in the short time it takes to flash the vehicle?s ECU with the AccessPORT. No tools are required. No additional ?piggy-back? hardware. No mailing the factory ECU across the country. No vehicle downtime. No waiting. Just plug the AccessPORT in, flash the ECU and enjoy the thrill of increased torque and horsepower!

Flashing the ECU for increased performance is just the start of what the AccessPORT is capable of. Set the AccessPORT to Performance mode to capture 0-60MPH times, ¬ Mile times and Trap Speeds. Switch over to Live Data and choose a gauge to monitor, such as; coolant temperature, intake air temperature, throttle position, intake cam advance, exhaust cam retard, MAF voltage, injector pulse width and many more. Select the integrated Datalogger to record multiple channels of data simultaneously. Or use it as a shift light that flashes the screen when a user defined rpm is reached. Use the Troubleshooting mode to diagnose issues by reading the factory codes and resetting the system once the issues have been resolved.

The AccessPORT can be used to eliminate separation anxiety for those times you are away from your car. Protect your investment when out on the town by quickly loading the Valet map to prevent the engine from revving above 3,200 rpm. Load the Anti-Theft map when you park to make it impossible to start. And in the event the car must be returned to the stock configuration, the AccessPORT can be completely removed and the ECU restored to its factory condition.

AccessTUNER Pro for the EVO X is available to the COBB Pro Tuner network. AccessTUNER Pro allows professional engine tuners to custom tune any combination of modifications to achieve their maximum power potential. Datalogging allows multiple channels of data to be recorded and reviewed after a dynamometer test to see where tuning can be optimized. These capabilities are particularly effective for heavily modified EVO X?s that are modified beyond the scope of the COBB Tuning provided base calibrations.

The AccessPORT from COBB Tuning is the most comprehensive hand-held ECU flashing, monitoring and managing device available for the Mitsubishi EVO X. Combined with AccessTUNER Pro it provides an unbeatable suite of engine tuning applications backed by our professional engine tuner network.

Satisfy your hunger for more power. Access the Potential of your EVO X today!

EVO X AccessPORT Features:
Increase horsepower and torque with the touch of a button
Easy installation requiring no tools or computer skills
Display vehicle performance with 0-60MPH and 1/4 Mile clocks and Trap Speeds
Monitor vehicle data such as MAF voltage, coolant temp, throttle position and much more.
Built in Datalogging capability for multiple data channel recording.
Troubleshoot by viewing trouble codes and resetting ECU.
Valet and Anti-Theft modes help prevent abuse and theft
Upgrade firmware and download calibrated maps over the internet
Completely and easily uninstallable

blkside
04-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah so AccessPro is "ecutek" and the accessport is a "tactrix cable with a display" then. Im lost as how a handheld 3" display is the same as ECUtek when it comes to tuning and if AP is the tuning software, I doubt the OP in question is going to be able to tune his own car cause they dont even know what mods they want.

HB Speed
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah so AccessPro is "ecutek" and the accessport is a "tactrix cable with a display" then. Im lost as how a handheld 3" display is the same as ECUtek when it comes to tuning and if AP is the tuning software, I doubt the OP in question is going to be able to tune his own car cause they dont even know what mods they want.

AccessTuner Pro is the SOFTWAREÂ* to create, datalogÂ* and modify the ECU maps, We use that to Tune the car
Ecutek's SOFTWARE is called Flash CANÂ* i believe, Ecutek is simply the brand name.

The accessport itself is a Ipod sized device that flashes maps, can datalog, do 0-60, 1/4 mile and Clear CEL, and Reflash to stock

If i made 2 maps for the car they would be on the accessport and the user can swap them whenever he/ she chooses
simply plug it in and follow the directions, takes about a minute...

The op doesnt need to know how to tune the car, The Pro tuners do that for him
or he can use the Pre tuned maps that come on the accessport.

blkside
04-29-2009, 10:38 PM
"Pre tuned maps that come on the accessport." thats what I was referring to thanks... either way he needs a tuner and with ecuflash out there isnt it easier to go that route....

HB Speed
04-29-2009, 10:41 PM
"Pre tuned maps that come on the accessport." thats what I was referring to thanks... either way he needs a tuner and with ecuflash out there isnt it easier to go that route....

Kinda.... unless you want the ability to swap maps (in 40 sec) without having to boot a laptop, Proper data logging via a nice easy hand held device, or the ability to go back to stock in 50 seconds.

If you want one map and be done, Ecuflash works well, we do Ecuflash tunes for $400

1WkdEvo
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Those of us with Subi pasts appreciate the AP for what it can do, but unless you have owned one its tough to explain how convenient and handy it really is

HB Speed
04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Those of us with Subi pasts appreciate the AP for what it can do, but unless you have owned one its tough to explain how convenient and handy it really is
yes and once live tuning is available (soon) There will be no comparison.

Mike W
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
An end user with two maps tuned with ECUTek software can swap maps with the Tactrix 2.0 cable ($169) and the free ECUFlash software. The ECUTek license stays intact in the swap.

Mike W