PDA

View Full Version : Logged Knock with Evoscan on Evo X

Looney Tuning
05-03-2009, 04:21 PM
I was able to log Knock retard with Evoscan Beta 2.6 on an Evo X. I confirmed it is knock retard because everytime it happens the timing gets pulled. I also logged timing advance, rpm, TPS and IPW and IDC. But I do not know if IPW and IDC are accurate. I know the rest are accurate because I compared the logs from Evoscan to the logs from PCMScan.

From now own, I will use Evoscan in conjunction with PCMScan until Evoscan becomes fully functional. I will do the tuning with PCMScan and will check for knock with Evoscan. Not that I need it, because the timing in the attached log was done w/o the aide of knock retard by looking at the timing curve and adjusting timing when it gets pulled. You will note that the timing was pulled 1-2 degrees at most even though I tuned that car w/o Evoscan.

It does bring peace of mind to have knock retard to back up the tuning of the timing curve.

Mike W
05-03-2009, 11:00 PM
With the ECUTek logging software you can still log knock retard and the advance multiplier before you install a license in the ECU. Once you install the license you can log knock retard against specific load cells. I have been able to log quite a few bone stock cars for guys doing before mods dyno numbers, after mods dyno numbers and then tuned dynos. Even with the silly rich condition from the factory, many stock EVO Xs still get a 1-2 degree of knock pull somewhere in the dyno run :-P

Because of how rich they run, the ECUTek logger shows well into the 90% IDC on stock cars. Tuned cars in the mid 300s hp range (once leaned out) show the same IDCs.

You would almost think the tooner lobby had a hand in the stock tuning on this car. If it was any worse the cars wouldnt have even run.

Mike W

05-EVO-GSR
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Does the factory tune them this way for emissions, safety, or both?

EM@WORKS
05-05-2009, 09:51 AM
What does your logs say about knock with the stock factory ROM?

Looney Tuning
05-05-2009, 10:35 AM
What does your logs say about knock with the stock factory ROM?

I have not logged a stock rom with Evoscan. Evoscan 2.6 beta just became available.