PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket intake without a tune

kungfudevil
05-05-2009, 10:07 AM
I read this today (http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2009/05/2008-mitsubishi-evo-gsr-intakes--new-aem-and-old-ams.html#more).Â* It was interesting that the guy did not recommend adding an aftermarket intake on a stock X WITHOUT tuning it due to a possibility of detonation.Â* I have the AEM on my car and I don't plan on getting it tuned until its closer to the end of my warranty.Â* I haven't had any problems so far and the car has picked up a bit since I got it installed.Â* Should I be worried about this? :-\

Looney Tuning
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Yes, you should be worried about it. The AEM intake lowers the load that your ecu detects in the fuel/ignition maps. Lower loads in the fuel/ignition mpas are leaner and have more timing. That will cause your car to knock. Over time, knock will damage your engine.

At $240 tunes are cheap and will optimize the performance of your car.

evazerone
05-06-2009, 12:57 AM
That's interesting... I'd imagine there are lots of people driving around untuned with some aftermarket intake. I wonder how much longer down the line will premature wear/problems become evident?

Looney Tuning
05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
And there are lots of people who eat at McDonalds, but that does not make the food healthy :)

kungfudevil
05-06-2009, 08:30 AM
I called AEM and they stated that the intake was designed to work with the stock factory setup and that it should not lean out the system enough to cause problems or throw a CEL. So far I have not heard any knocking in my engine.........are there any other signs I should look out for?

Wimploki
05-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I called AEM and they stated that the intake was designed to work with the stock factory setup and that it should not lean out the system enough to cause problems or throw a CEL. So far I have not heard any knocking in my engine.........are there any other signs I should look out for?

Once you start to hear knocking out loud, it's time for a rebuild.

SoCal_GSR X
05-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Bump for AEM... great intake and I do not plan on a tune

gsrIXevo
05-07-2009, 12:29 AM

Once you start to hear knocking out loud, it's time for a rebuild.

yeah.. i have never heard knock and by the time you do, its to late. but you can log it with any evo scan software.

dongchad
05-15-2009, 11:11 PM
i have AEM intake for over 4 months now w/o a tune.
still waiting for to replace my fmic before i get a tune.

getting_evo_soon
05-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey I own a EVO IX SE, my brother just bought a X RR GSR SSS.
He wants the swoosh sound, I told him he has to get an aftermarket intake, but he doesnt wanna get tuned with just an intake.
So you guys dont recommend getting the AEM w/o a tune ?

opticfilms
06-28-2009, 11:47 PM
I have a AEM intake on my Evo X for 2 months still runs good BUMP FOR AEM INTAKE TOO!!!!!!

Mike W
06-29-2009, 12:17 PM
If you are wondering if your set up is safe, stop by the shop in the early evening M-F and I can hook up a logger and with a quick 5 min drive you can see if it is getting knock.

With an intake and a cat back exhaust you are probably ok. Beyond that you really should get a tune.

Mike W