PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Evo X tune: + 57 hp & + 46 ft-lb

Looney Tuning
05-11-2009, 09:26 PM
This Evo X GSR belongs to forum member 08evox. EvoPaul recommended me as a tuner. Thanks a lot EvoPaul O0. I love word of mouth advertising.

The car had the following mods:

Injen CAI with UICP (I really like the Injen set-up, they really isolated the filter with a heatshield)
Ultimate Racing TBE
3" long downpipe
3" test pipe
3" Catback Exhaust.

The car was one of the most free flowing Xs that I have tuned so far. The turbo airflow hit 39 lb/min. This is the most that any Evo X has hit so far. If as rumored the Evo X turbo is good for ~42 lb/min, then 39 lb/min is pretty darn close. Take a look at the before and after airflow numbers. As always, these 3D charts are 3-4 back-to-back logs.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/airflow_b4_after.gif

The stock airflow maxed out at 36.1 lb/min and the tuned airflow maxed out at 39.1 lbs/min, that is 3 lb/min increase over stock by redline. In the 5500 rpm midrange the increase was a stunning 4.7 lb/min.

The stock boost on this car was lower at peak than other Evo Xs that I have tuned. Here is the way the before and after 3D boost charts looked:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/boost_b4_after.gif

Not only was the stock boost low, it also spooled up at a leisurely 4000 rpm. The tuned boost was achieved at ~3000 rpm where the car hit 24 psi on one of the runs. That is a full 1000 rpm sooner than on the stock tune. The boost held at 24-23 psi from 3000 rpm to 5500 rpm. In the same rpm range, the stock boost would taper from 20.34 psi to 17.27 psi, a 3 psi loss. By redline the tuned boost held to a maximum of 19.40 psi by redline. All that was done on the stock pill. God, I love the dual solenoid assembly of the Evo X. It is miles ahead of the single solenoid on the Evo 8/9. On the Evo 8/9, you must run a smaller boost pill to get these boost numbers.

The AFR was not as rich as other Evo Xs that I have tuned even though this car did not have the factory re-flash. I suspect that the oversize Injen intake pipe had something to do with it. Here are the before and after AFR charts.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/afr_b4_after.gif

The stock AFR dipped into the 10.xx:1 AFR at 4000 rpm and stayed that way all the way to 6500 rpm. From 6500 rpm to redline the AFR spiked to 11.34 average AFR. The tuned AFR was 1 full point leaner (11.73:1) at peak torque and then tapered nicely to 11.2:1 AFR by redline.

Here is an overlay of a stock boost/afr chart and a tuned boost/afr chart.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/overlay.gif

Notice the flatness of the tuned boost curve from 3000 rpm all the way to 5000 rpm. Later on the boost slowly tapers to redline. The AFR is almost the same as stock at ~3500 rpm and redline, but in the midrange the AFR is much leaner than stock.

Finally, here are the before and after power curves. There are gains everywhere in the area under the curve.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/dyno_b4_after.gif

The peak gains were 58 hp and 34 ft-lb of torque. But the peak gains are nowhere as impressive as the sustained gains throughout the power curve. For example, from 3000 rpm to 5000 rpm there is an average of 26 hp gain. The most gains in the rpm range were:

From 6500 to 7000 rpm + 57 hp
From 6000 to 6500 rpm + 46 ft-lb torque

The rest of the power gains are noted on the chart.

silvrEVOIXn818
05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
congrats 08evox! Im sure the car feels awesome, now. Naji, looking good... as usuall. Nice gains, everywhere! O0

baylorar
05-12-2009, 05:02 AM
08evox, naji mentioned in his email that you use to have a GTO... same here... aren't you loving the tuned evo?

congrats on the new power.

sxe_davexxx
05-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Very nice, the gains are definitely there. GTO to evo? what a world of a difference.
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*
Cool write up. Good luck on your race Naji....

08evox
05-12-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm really enjoying the power gains and the quicker throttle response. I'll be recommending you to every evo owner I run into. Thanks again Naji.

Looney Tuning
05-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm really enjoying the power gains and the quicker throttle response. I'll be recommending you to every evo owner I run into. Thanks again Naji.

I am glad you like it. Do you have a larger picture of your avatar? Can you post it? I want forum members to see how well designed the Injen intake set-up is, especially the heat shield.

08evox
05-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm still new to forums... Was able to figure out a link to my pic:

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1405&pos=3

Maybe this will work.

Filipinoborn
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Nice.. I can't wait to Looney Tune my 8.. I'll let u know Naji...

SoCalRedLine
05-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Damn nice numbers, I've been trying to talk my buddy into buying an X :) this thread should help

What are you using for data aquisition? Pcmscan? Openport plugin w/ LW3?

Props again to an awesome tuner O0

Looney Tuning
05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Damn nice numbers, I've been trying to talk my buddy into buying an X :) this thread should help

What are you using for data aquisition? Pcmscan? Openport plugin w/ LW3?

Props again to an awesome tuner O0

I am using PCMScan to log load, timing, IAT, MAF (lb/min), TPS, AFR, and boost. After the tune I run Evoscan Beta 2.6 to read knock retard. Evoscan only has RPM, Timing, and Knock Retard working correctly.

evopaul
05-14-2009, 08:25 AM
NAJI U DA MAN!!
I will allways refer back to MOD 08

Paul: So Naji,do you recommend a dyno tune over a road tune?

Naji: PAUL, :crazy2:do you drive your car on the dyno everyday! O0

ENOUGH SAID........

I am a true believer in a LOONEY TUNE :D

Looney Tuning
05-14-2009, 10:02 AM
NAJI U DA MAN!!
I will allways refer back to MOD 08

Paul: So Naji,do you recommend a dyno tune over a road tune?

Naji: PAUL, :crazy2:do you drive your car on the dyno everyday! O0

ENOUGH SAID........

I am a true believer in a LOONEY TUNE :D

Maybe I should make it a tag line, ie, Looney Tuning....because you do not drive on a dyno :D

08evox
05-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Hey Naji, I just had an dude with an X pm me about your tuning method. I obviously told him u were the best. His name is Jason; hopefully he hits u up soon.

Jeff

Looney Tuning
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey Naji, I just had an dude with an X pm me about your tuning method. I obviously told him u were the best. His name is Jason; hopefully he hits u up soon.

Jeff

Thanks man...Word of mouth advertising at its best :)

08evox
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
This Evo X GSR belongs to forum member 08evox. EvoPaul recommended me as a tuner. Thanks a lot EvoPaul O0. I love word of mouth advertising.

The car had the following mods:

Injen CAI with UICP (I really like the Injen set-up, they really isolated the filter with a heatshield)
Ultimate Racing TBE
3" long downpipe
3" test pipe
3" Catback Exhaust.

The car was one of the most free flowing Xs that I have tuned so far. The turbo airflow hit 39 lb/min. This is the most that any Evo X has hit so far. If as rumored the Evo X turbo is good for ~42 lb/min, then 39 lb/min is pretty darn close. Take a look at the before and after airflow numbers. As always, these 3D charts are 3-4 back-to-back logs.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/airflow_b4_after.gif

The stock airflow maxed out at 36.1 lb/min and the tuned airflow maxed out at 39.1 lbs/min, that is 3 lb/min increase over stock by redline. In the 5500 rpm midrange the increase was a stunning 4.7 lb/min.

The stock boost on this car was lower at peak than other Evo Xs that I have tuned. Here is the way the before and after 3D boost charts looked:

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/boost_b4_after.gif

Not only was the stock boost low, it also spooled up at a leisurely 4000 rpm. The tuned boost was achieved at ~3000 rpm where the car hit 24 psi on one of the runs. That is a full 1000 rpm sooner than on the stock tune. The boost held at 24-23 psi from 3000 rpm to 5500 rpm. In the same rpm range, the stock boost would taper from 20.34 psi to 17.27 psi, a 3 psi loss. By redline the tuned boost held to a maximum of 19.40 psi by redline. All that was done on the stock pill. God, I love the dual solenoid assembly of the Evo X. It is miles ahead of the single solenoid on the Evo 8/9. On the Evo 8/9, you must run a smaller boost pill to get these boost numbers.

The AFR was not as rich as other Evo Xs that I have tuned even though this car did not have the factory re-flash. I suspect that the oversize Injen intake pipe had something to do with it. Here are the before and after AFR charts.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/afr_b4_after.gif

The stock AFR dipped into the 10.xx:1 AFR at 4000 rpm and stayed that way all the way to 6500 rpm. From 6500 rpm to redline the AFR spiked to 11.34 average AFR. The tuned AFR was 1 full point leaner (11.73:1) at peak torque and then tapered nicely to 11.2:1 AFR by redline.

Here is an overlay of a stock boost/afr chart and a tuned boost/afr chart.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/overlay.gif

Notice the flatness of the tuned boost curve from 3000 rpm all the way to 5000 rpm. Later on the boost slowly tapers to redline. The AFR is almost the same as stock at ~3500 rpm and redline, but in the midrange the AFR is much leaner than stock.

Finally, here are the before and after power curves. There are gains everywhere in the area under the curve.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/Jeffw/dyno_b4_after.gif

The peak gains were 58 hp and 34 ft-lb of torque. But the peak gains are nowhere as impressive as the sustained gains throughout the power curve. For example, from 3000 rpm to 5000 rpm there is an average of 26 hp gain. The most gains in the rpm range were:

From 6500 to 7000 rpm + 57 hp
From 6000 to 6500 rpm + 46 ft-lb torque

The rest of the power gains are noted on the chart.

Hi Naji, just saw your E85 tune... nice...

I have a question, probably stupid, but I'm going to ask it anyways.

If I tune my car to run on E85, would I have to constantly fill up my car with E85? (They're building an E85 station near my house in Pomona.)

I've read that E85 is equivilant to 100 octane fuel.

Btw, there's a guy with a X but tuned by HB Speed that hangs out with us at the Chino meets. His car throw's check engine lights left and right. Mine has shown once but has since gone away. I still love my tune!

Thanks for your time.

vial8or
06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
To answer you, yes. Whatever you get tuned on, you will need that.
You can't tune you're boost and A/F rations etc... for a certain gas, than put in something completely different like 91.
Either get tuned on E-85 and ONLY run it, or you can research a dual map switch or something similar so you can switch between octanes

Looney Tuning
06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes, you must run on E85 unless you flash the car back and forth for the type of gas used. You will also need larger injectors and a Walbro fuel pump.

Glad to know that your car is running well.

Looney Tuning
06-30-2009, 01:43 PM
To answer you, yes. Whatever you get tuned on, you will need that.
You can't tune you're boost and A/F rations etc... for a certain gas, than put in something completely different like 91.
Either get tuned on E-85 and ONLY run it, or you can research a dual map switch or something similar so you can switch between octanes

Evo Xs do not have a dual map switch like the 8 and the 9. Tephra might be working on one now that he has a X.

vial8or
06-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Ouch, didn't know that. I thought someone at the BP meet had an X with a dual map? Guess I was mistaken.

08evox
07-01-2009, 09:19 AM

I am glad you like it. Do you have a larger picture of your avatar? Can you post it? I want forum members to see how well designed the Injen intake set-up is, especially the heat shield.